Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Recommended backbox for 06 sti (uk) ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 10:30 AM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended backbox for 06 sti (uk) ?

Just ordered an 06 sti (black) and as a minimum will be looking for a new back box to recover the missing burble.
Read various road tests suggesting uk model is now equal length headers but most posts on here suggest it still has unequal length headers. Question is will i be able to recover this burble with just a new backbox ?
Any body got any feedback on exhausts for the new sti ?

Graham
Old 16 March 2006, 12:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Grahamwrx
Just ordered an 06 sti (black) and as a minimum will be looking for a new back box to recover the missing burble.
Read various road tests suggesting uk model is now equal length headers but most posts on here suggest it still has unequal length headers. Question is will i be able to recover this burble with just a new backbox ?
Any body got any feedback on exhausts for the new sti ?

Graham
Yes, a backbox will go a long way to restoring the burble assuming it still has unequal length headers, which as far as I know, it does.

How loud do you want it? Some tried and tested examples follow:

V Loud: Blitz Nur Spec
Loud: Afterburner vortex
Intermediate: H&S original design.

I went for the H&S original design on my classic, and found it to get the balance betwen volume and refinement about right for me. Perhaps this will be too quiet for you though. If you were to visit H&S perhaps they would let you listen to a couple of their designs in the workshop and you could choose the one you liked the sound of best.

Ns04
Old 16 March 2006, 12:25 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that NS some good options there, but what i need is first hand results from an 06 sti because it appears to be much quieter than the previous models.

anybody ?
Old 16 March 2006, 01:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Grahamwrx
Thanks for that NS some good options there, but what i need is first hand results from an 06 sti because it appears to be much quieter than the previous models.

anybody ?
Hence the reccomendation to go and see H&S; it'll take a while for people to start modding the 06 models and even when that does happen what appeals to one, doesn't necessarily appeal to another and its fairly rare to find people who've tried a variety of exhausts (exhaustively) . You really have to hear them first hand and -ideally- under the conditions that reflect your driving habbits. A loud exhaust can be great fun when you're in the mood, but your neighbours won't thank you and if you spend a lot of time on the motorway, you may tire of the compromise in the refinement of the car.

My money would be on the Afterburner Vortx being about right for a 06

Ns04
Old 16 March 2006, 02:11 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Is anyone 100% sure about the unequal length headers as everything ive read states they now have equal length??????
Old 16 March 2006, 05:14 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

sgcooby

Yes, I'm sure!!

The 06MY cars are quieter as the centrepipe has now changed (btw it's the same as JDM so we'll have none of the 'we get all the rubbish and the JDM car gets the good stuff comments please ) which means that to get an approval and therefore be legal for an 06MY car with existing product is impossible. With this in mind we've taken a different route to keep things legal for the PPP's.

Regards

Mike

Mike
Old 16 March 2006, 05:28 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
sgcooby

Yes, I'm sure!!

The 06MY cars are quieter as the centrepipe has now changed (btw it's the same as JDM so we'll have none of the 'we get all the rubbish and the JDM car gets the good stuff comments please ) which means that to get an approval and therefore be legal for an 06MY car with existing product is impossible. With this in mind we've taken a different route to keep things legal for the PPP's.

Regards

Mike

Mike
Any more info mike, ie release dates etc, I bought a 06 wrx a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it, far better car than the my03 I had, but dealers don't have any info yet on ppp, except possible end of march Release.

I have put my h&s backbox on mainly for looks, but it does sound slightly better, but nothing like the previous cars.

Deano.

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2006, 10:21 PM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deano555
Any more info mike, ie release dates etc, I bought a 06 wrx a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it, far better car than the my03 I had, but dealers don't have any info yet on ppp, except possible end of march Release.

I have put my h&s backbox on mainly for looks, but it does sound slightly better, but nothing like the previous cars.

Deano.

Dealers are now taking orders for PPP but still waiting for the official price and release date
Old 16 March 2006, 10:28 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Mike,
Can we take it from what you're saying that the PPP will be quieter than previous years to conform to the latest regulations or is it a combination of emissions and noise restrictions ?

I'm confused, please explain ?

Cheers

Graham
Old 17 March 2006, 01:17 PM
Grahamwrx
Scooby Regular

Can you give any more details on the STI PPP yet mike ?

Cheers

Graham