Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

is there such a thing as accelerating too quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2006, 03:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there such a thing as accelerating too quickly?

on a public road that is.

pulled over on slip road to reply to an urgent text, then rejoined the motorway in a *ahem* spirited manner only up to 70, not weaving across lanes (stayed in the clear inside lane). next thing i know plod is screaming up behind me, lights, the works.

then follows a bizzare chatting to, which to cut a long story short, involved being bollocked for acceleraing from a stand still to the speed limit far too quickly

didn't give any other reason like dangerous driving or anything like that, just told not to do it again, wagged his finger a bit and buggered off!

was he just bored or is there some sort of law to back up his ranting?
Old 24 March 2006, 03:10 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf?
Old 24 March 2006, 03:11 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Its news to me that you can accelerate too quickly thats one of the best things a scooby does 0-70mph

Think he was just bored and maybe fancied a look round your motor
Old 24 March 2006, 03:12 PM
oldmanmille
Scooby Regular

The advice from Mr Plod is: build up speed on the hard shoulder before joining the carriageway....

If something on the hard shoulder that may be difficult but, the principle is join at a steady speed. That's what I have been told everytime I was pulled up for speeding

I haven;t seen anything in the highway code or anywhere else to say you can't accelerate quickly although I am going to ask the traffic cop next door to me as I keep thinking about this. I would rather accelerate quickly, in a safe and considerate manner, rather than top end speed these days!

Don't suppose any of the above helps you really but I will come back on this topic when I've spoken to my neighbour....

John
Old 24 March 2006, 03:12 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

If the road ahead is clear and you have not weaved under acceleration then I think you have just come accross a bored or peeved (because you have a fast car) traffic cop.

You did right not to rise to the bait otherwise he may have decided to start looking for problems with your car!

Just put it down as a bad day and let it slide - still I bet it was a nice feeling giving it some welly away from a standing start?
Old 24 March 2006, 03:13 PM
BLACK V5
Scooby Regular

Angry

Speed limit is 70. Nothing in the highway code to say you cant get there as fast as you like. Anyway the quicker you get up to the speed of the rest of the traffic the better i would of thought.
There is nothing more anoying than when someone sees you coming then rushes to pull out in front off you, only to then take all bloody day to get up to speed.
Old 24 March 2006, 03:14 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

As it happens *ahem* I have had a very similiar experience. In my old 200sx though not in my scooby. I roared off from a slip road on the A127 heading towards rayliegh and the samething, blue lights on.. pull over sonny!

His words were something like you havn't done anything wrong but Im just warning you that 'roaring off' like that in a powerful rear wheel drive car can be dangerous if you have a blow out under high acceleration. Sorta made sense, he did go onto say you havnt broken any laws but if he had caught me wheel spinning when I pulled away he would have considered ticketing me for dangerous driving i.e not being in full control of the car

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2006, 03:16 PM
oldmanmille
Scooby Regular

oh yes, talking about peeved coppers...I overtook a patrol car the other week on a 60mph carriageway and I was doing dead on 60mph (as I had my cruise on - Zafira, not scoob!), and he pulled me over and took me into his little astra and gave me a roasting about speeding!

I did argue with him on this occasion as he was 100% incorrect. He did not like it one bit and I actually told him he didnt like me overtaking him, be honest, and he just snarled and warned me....damn law unto themselves some of these guys.....
Old 24 March 2006, 03:17 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

glad i'm not alone thinking this was odd (or alone in getting a tug!)

bored copper then, was a bit pissed off as his mate was giving it a right looking over then somehow missed the illegal small number plate the tosser

sort of peeved then chuckling to myself all in the space of 5 mins!
Old 24 March 2006, 03:22 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
glad i'm not alone thinking this was odd (or alone in getting a tug!)

bored copper then, was a bit pissed off as his mate was giving it a right looking over then somehow missed the illegal small number plate the tosser

sort of peeved then chuckling to myself all in the space of 5 mins!

he was jealous that he cant do it as fast lol

you should have give him some gravel rash the second time lol

john
Old 24 March 2006, 03:25 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be traveling at a reasonable speed before joining moving traffic, its a bit of a grey area because what warrants a reasonable speed if the road was clear?
Old 24 March 2006, 04:12 PM
AlquarUK
Scooby Regular

you shouldn't stop on a slip road to answer a text message!
Old 24 March 2006, 04:15 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

nor should you exceed the speed limit, but people do. a would rather he stopped than replying whilst driving

john
Old 24 March 2006, 04:36 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlquarUK
really? didn't know that. thought stopping anywhere would be better than trying to do it while driving
Old 24 March 2006, 04:41 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

Originally Posted by AlquarUK
if you had a very urgent text i think you would stop too

you dont know his circumstances
Old 24 March 2006, 04:59 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

This seems pretty odd - One of the companies a mate used to work for which did work on the hard shoulders actually had a policy that the car used should be over a certain power for the sake of rejoining the motorway from the slip road.

I am glad it was not me he had pulled as I would not have been so polite.
Old 24 March 2006, 05:01 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

by the sounds of it you would have got in less trouble if you'd just read the text while you were driving! the other day i saw some bloke on his phone with a copper parked along side him at the lights,the copper glanced at him and then drove off............i couldn't see that happening if that were me!
Old 24 March 2006, 05:04 PM
5cby
Scooby Regular

if its that urgent you dont txt you would ring the person instead
then you could answer with hands-free

steve
Originally Posted by pete higham

Old 24 March 2006, 05:06 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

If you vomit at the end, it could be said that you 'have accelerated too quickly'.....
Old 24 March 2006, 05:51 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete higham

Course I don't know what was in the txt. But as you are only allowed to stop on the shoulder for an emergency, you could be hard pushed to justify what the emergency might be.

Graham
Old 24 March 2006, 06:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

didn't somebody on here get pulled for "accelerating in a manner to arouse suspicion?"

coppers = complete bellends 99% of the time
Old 24 March 2006, 06:05 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

The guy could be on 3 network. He may have had his calls diverted to voice mail so that no one could get in touch by phone call.....

For those that dont know, on 3 network you can have your voice mails converted to text and sent to you......

FFS, what does it matter, did he break the law??? NO

Did he perform what he did safely???? YES

Back to the origional point, NO, you cant accelarate in a way that you are breaking the law, unless....

you A) spun the wheels and lost traction

B) You exceed the speed limit

C) swerved all over the road whilst doing so, In either case, it could be classed as dangerous driving, with a good solicitor, dropped to Careless driving, maybe driving with out due care and attention with a plea bargin....

Does that clear a few things up?????

John

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 24 March 2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 24 March 2006, 06:16 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

I got pulled once for accelerating quickly. Admittedly I was in an Astra GTE so the police probably thought it was nicked But imo I didn't do anything wrong, pulled away from a junction in 1st gear a little enthusiasticly (no wheel spin etc, just using 1st as it should be used!) and a police car going the other way turned round and pulled me over a bit further down the road.

I never went over the speed limit so didn't actually get done for anything, but he just wanted a good check round the car, make sure it was all legal etc. Guess they just see people that accelerate quickly as a potential threat so want to let you know they are watching
Old 24 March 2006, 06:42 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

FFS, what does it matter, did he break the law??? NO

Did he perform what he did safely???? YES

John
answer to 1, probably not with regard to accelerating, probably yes re stopping on the shoulder to read your vm's of all things?

answer to 2, how do you know it was safe? Were you there? I wasn't so have no idea.
Graham
Old 24 March 2006, 06:51 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gridgway
answer to 1, probably not with regard to accelerating, probably yes re stopping on the shoulder to read your vm's of all things?

answer to 2, how do you know it was safe? Were you there? I wasn't so have no idea.
Graham

how do i know it was safe....

Well, unlike some muppets on here, i presume people post the truth, in this counrty, its inocent UNTIL proven guilty for a start.....

He said he got wrong for accelarating to fast did he not???? Yes, i think he did....

At no point in the post did he say he was spoken to about the way he joined the highway, ie, causing other motorists to take avasive action.....

there are far to many people on this BBS that like to turn threads to sh** arguing piontless events that have nothing to do with the origional post

is there such a thing as accelerating too quickly?
Old 24 March 2006, 07:01 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry, but I think there is a chance that you are incorrect Evolution, and unless the rules around here have changed, we could actually discuss it or even disagree which I plan to do.

The highway code is clear about joining faster traffic and talks about building up speed progressively as has already been mentioned. Also I stand by the point made that if you were not there you couldn't know it was safe.

Graham
Old 24 March 2006, 07:22 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i didnt quote any rules at you..... what i said was there are far to many people on this BBS turning threads to ****...

I didnt say it was allowed, nor did i say it wasnt allowed, i stated a fact that is happening right here in this thread....

The highway code is clear about joining faster traffic and talks about building up speed progressively as has already been mentioned. Also I stand by the point made that if you were not there you couldn't know it was safe.
just out of interest, the dictionary says Moving forward; advancing.

so, he was accelarating in a progressive motion... yes....???

i dodnt really care what your point is mate, you are replying to his origional post, if you want to make the inbetween events up in your mind, then be my guest, but im replying on the information given in the post, no more and no less...

John
Old 24 March 2006, 07:35 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should have built your speed up gently and joined the carriageway at 50mph causing everybody to panic brake to let you in

I often boot it down sliproads so i join the carriageway at the same speed as the cars already on it are travelling.

I cant stand those that almost come to a standstill because they dont think there is a five mile gap big enough to fit their cars in.

Sounds like a copper with sod all else to do
Old 24 March 2006, 09:37 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

blimey, this has moved on since i last looked

might answer a few questions, don't have hands free and was waiting for said text message to come through which had to be answered.

wrongly assumed pulling onto the hard shoulder to do this would be ok, as gridgway says, this should only be used in emergency so fair point, i'll bear that in mind next time

end of the day no harm done, was just having a rant earlier at the daftness of getting pulled.
Old 24 March 2006, 09:37 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

i dodnt really care what your point is mate, you are replying to his origional post, if you want to make the inbetween events up in your mind, then be my guest, but im replying on the information given in the post, no more and no less...

John
John if you are worried about the making up of inbetween events, why were you were musing over the G3 VM to txt thing earlier?

I was attempting to point out that the highway code tells us how to join a motorway, which is at odds to the original poster's way of doing it. Sounds dead on topic to me. Anyway I can see that you are "more than a match for me" to quote monty python's "argument" sketch.

Graham

Quick Reply: is there such a thing as accelerating too quickly?