ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI Imports and Alarm/Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 03:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Imports and Alarm/Tracker

What are the standard security features on an MY06 STI? Does it have any type of alarm?

Reason I ask is that my insurance company has no requirement for tracker or an alarm system so is it a waste of money spending £300+ on some Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system?
Old 07 April 2006, 03:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont put one on and it will be gone in under 60 seconds
Go for the best alarm system within your price range, and no STi should be without a tracking system (actually no turbocharged impreza should!)

Tony
Old 07 April 2006, 03:39 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

But surely the immobilser would prevent it from going?

I though that was what was causing the problem of breaking in to houses for keys because the immobilisers are too good for the average theives.
Old 07 April 2006, 05:30 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Standard is cat1 alarm/immobiliser with rac trackstar(1st yr subscription paid)
Old 07 April 2006, 05:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
But surely the immobilser would prevent it from going?

I though that was what was causing the problem of breaking in to houses for keys because the immobilisers are too good for the average theives.
The immobiliser in there already probably lasts all of 3 seconds to a thief, UK cars have an aftermarket system fitted which is a thatcham tested unit.
Take your chances but if you dont have any sort of security on there its going for a walk within the first couple of weeks

Tony
Old 07 April 2006, 08:31 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Anyone recommend a good alarm system then? As long as they are Thatcham 1 are they all pretty much the same quality?
Old 07 April 2006, 08:36 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Dont put one on and it will be gone in under 60 seconds
Go for the best alarm system within your price range, and no STi should be without a tracking system (actually no turbocharged impreza should!)

Tony
Why would you want it back after some little tw@t has ragged it to death? I also seem to recall hearing about serious problems with trackers (including standard UK RAC) where they don't work as intended/not activated/unable to locate car etc.! I only paid for one on my old MY97 to get save about 3x the cost in insurance!
Old 07 April 2006, 08:43 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
What are the standard security features on an MY06 STI? Does it have any type of alarm?

Reason I ask is that my insurance company has no requirement for tracker or an alarm system so is it a waste of money spending £300+ on some Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system?
The EU import STi comes with no tracker, CAT1 or locking wheels nuts. You certainly wouldn't keep hold of it long kitted out like this! The EU STi I recently purchased (from Subaru dealer) came with top notch CAT1 alarm/imob and wheel nuts. I had the choice of tracker but the insurance savings were negligible so I didn't bother. Just make surte that if you buyt from the likes of allbrandsnew et al, make sure these things get fitted - the knock-down price they quote does not normally include them.
Old 07 April 2006, 09:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll get the alarm fitted then but won't bother with the Tracker. I have heard mostly bad stories about this and agree that I would probably prefer not to have my car back after some ****** has thrashed it.

Buying it from Alliance, who are open and honest about their prices, just wasn't sure what was standard because of the surprisingly lax attitude from the insurers.