info on subarus..

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2006, 11:09 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info on subarus..

hello
been looking at 'older' subarus, around '94, seems easy enough to pick a decent one up for around 3-4k, am i right in saying these are just over 200bhp?
would really like an STi (or onr of the 'faster' models) but insurance is holding me back as I am 24 and have been a named driver all my driving life, also have 6 points
wrx's i'm getting quotes around 1600, STi's are about 2500!! sti type RA was over 3500!
just looking for some advice, bit baffled with all the models to be honest although have picked up bits and pieces from looking around
if anyone has a link to different models/power, specs etc that would be great
Old 17 April 2006, 11:12 PM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

Have a look here:

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

it tells you about most of the models available
Old 17 April 2006, 11:52 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

thanks
so looks like it's worth stretching to a 97 model
98 even better i suppose but gettinga bit expensive for my needs..
Old 18 April 2006, 12:08 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by twintracks
thanks
so looks like it's worth stretching to a 97 model
98 even better i suppose but gettinga bit expensive for my needs..
If you're strapped for cash.The last thing you'll want is an ageing pile of imported ****e..imho of course.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:16 AM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

that's what i'm here for.....opinions
a 97 UK model doesnt fall in to 'ageing pile of ****e' category does it ?
Old 18 April 2006, 01:00 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

If you are strapped for cash then you might want to reconsider your circumstances. Despite what you might read you really can't keep a Subaru for the same money as a Ford or a Corsa. If you are buying an older car, perhaps even any one out of warranty, then you want to keep a few quid in the bank to cover repairs and little surprises. I've just sold an 03 UK STi and estimate that, without any major repairs, it cost me about £1.13 per mile to run. Now an old car such as you are looking at will not lose as much value but it is worth keeping that sort of figure in mind.

As Elmer says I think you'd be mad to consider anything but a totally unmodified UK car with a good history. Subarus are not a pile of junk by any means but, like any car, they have several weak spots and you are more likely to see problems in these areas with imported cars or older cars where servicing has been neglected or modifications have been made. A 97 car is nearly 10 years old and even a UK model is likely need quite a few quid spent on it. For every 10 that you see it is well possible that 9 will indeed be an ageing pile of ****e be they imported or UK cars.
Old 18 April 2006, 04:40 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

hmmm, what makes them expensive to run/repair ? any work would more than likely be done by myself, so as long as parts aren't too steep I should be 'ok' ?
I'm not totally skint but I'm not taking out a loan/finance to get another car, so max price is going to be 3 - 4k, does that sound like a price that a decent one could be bought for?

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2006, 04:49 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can be found for much cheaper than that, Picked up a 70k 94' Import for just over £2k, its got a few niggly problems but nothing a bit of TLC isnt taking care of..
Old 18 April 2006, 04:50 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by twintracks
hmmm, what makes them expensive to run/repair ? any work would more than likely be done by myself, so as long as parts aren't too steep I should be 'ok' ?
I'm not totally skint but I'm not taking out a loan/finance to get another car, so max price is going to be 3 - 4k, does that sound like a price that a decent one could be bought for?
Parts are over priced so they tend not to be maintained properly, plus most people want to modify them (normally on the cheap) which ofcourse means they are less reliable.

If your handy with a spanner they are literally a piece of **** to work on, the engine piddly and theres pleanty of room. Its also not a very complex engine and neither is the suspension and drive train.
Old 18 April 2006, 05:05 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

sounds more promising...
Old 18 April 2006, 08:36 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

about insurance
confused.com lists the wrx as 92-2000 and the wrx sti as 94-2000, so I suppose it doesn't matter whether it's an import or not?
for insurance purposes anyway
Old 18 April 2006, 09:02 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Not so sure I understand this but both a wrx and a wrx sti will be an import given those dates. The insurance company will be very interested indeed in whether it is an import or not i'm afraid.
Old 18 April 2006, 09:16 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

am i right in thinking the first uk turbo available was 97 ?
they must have only done wrx and sti's in the new shape then ?
Old 18 April 2006, 09:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It is well worth taking a look here to get an idea of the life history:

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 18 April 2006, 09:53 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

i've had a bit of a read of that mate
doesnt mention a uk wrx or wrx sti from what i have read though

too many models! lol
also reading the japan models section it says WRX is the standard model and they have 280bhp, although ive seen a fair few advertised that MUST be imports, (because they're 94 etc) but no mention of wrx, which mad me think they would be nearer 200bhp so cheaper insurance

could be very easy for insurance companies to quote you for the wrong car!

i mean if i had already bought a car i could have accepted one of the quotes i got through confused.com, they are only listing wrx from 92-00 and wrx sti from 94-00 , so that covers all surely!

Last edited by twintracks; 18 April 2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 19 April 2006, 09:59 AM
MrMagoo
Scooby Regular

On a personal note!!
Quote "In Japan, home of Subaru Impreza, the standard model is known as the WRX (not to be confused with the Australian WRX). Most of the current 2 and 4 door models produce 280 PS (276 BHP), on Japanese 100 RON super unleaded fuel, and between 240 to 260 lb ft of torque."
Off the sidc.co.uk website!
Now i have a JDM 94 WRX RA running panel filter and cat back exhaust,
Using the good petrol plus octane booster, should my car be running this power??
Old 19 April 2006, 10:13 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I always was led to believe that the Jap WRXs (older Classic shape), were 245bhp or 260bhp (can't remember as it's been a long time since I looked at it!) and the STI's were 276bhp.......

The problem with the older cars, is things like the lack of 4-pot brakes (only introduced on 97 cars IIRC - both UK & Import)
It's all well having power, but without the stopping ability, it's useless!

Also, things like the coilpacks on older cars were more expensive, as you had to change the whole lot. I think this changed on the 99 car - not sure.

Either way, I echo what others have said - go into this with your eyes OPEN

These cars are very rewarding, but you pay for it.

Dan

nb disclaimer - my facts may not be 100%, as my research period was over 5yrs ago. I've forgotten more than most have learnt in this time!!!
Old 19 April 2006, 01:04 PM
WRX1996
Scooby Regular

Ive had my 96 WRX for 13 months now and other than pricey fuel\octane booster and a service the car has cost me bugger all. I suppose I have just been lucky as you here all sorts of horror stories of engine rebuilds etc but from my experience it was a fantastic purchase. Amazing performance for relatively small money and it hasn't let me down once!!! (touch wood)

You pays ya money and you takes ya chances. Good luck with whatever you chose

edit: My 96 also came with Aircon, Factory fitted CD player, rear wiper, electric mirrors. If I remember rightly the early UK models were pretty basic and also didnt even have sports seats.

Last edited by WRX1996; 19 April 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 19 April 2006, 01:06 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX1996
Ive had my 96 WRX for 13 months now and other than pricey fuel\octane booster and a service the car has cost me bugger all. I suppose I have just been lucky as you here all sorts of horror stories of engine rebuilds etc but from my experience it was a fantastic purchase. Amazing performance for relatively small money and it hasn't let me down once!!! (touch wood)

You pays ya money and you takes ya chances. Good luck with whatever you chose
I bet you dont drive like a *****, and I'm willing to bet the car is mostly standard
Old 19 April 2006, 01:12 PM
WRX1996
Scooby Regular

hehe. Yup - completely. Not even an after market exhaust (the only WRX of that age I have EVER seen with the original still on) I get ya point though. There are a lot of dodgy examples out there.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:48 PM
GONZO
Scooby Regular

Cool Import Info

Hi,
Like all things in life - you get what you pay for generally. Hoever, Japan has not got the monopoly on 'sheds', and the imports can be either a money pit, or extremely good value. Always higher spec over uk, the 93 - 94 models had 240 ish BHP, 95 - 97? 260 bhp and there onwards 280 bhp. Only differance in driving between the 240 and 260 bhp was the torque - noticeably more low down power on the 260 - the 240 needs to be revved to get the best out of it. I imported mine 6 years ago (my 94), and have had very few problems - done all my own servicing and work on it so far - got it with 45k - it now has 123k - so well used. I average 22.5 mpg - driving style does not matter too much. I drive quickly, but not daft, as I am now 44 yrs old. These are expensive to run - even for me - insurance is still 700 per year, and at 22.5 mpg, it tots up quickly. However, parts are not too bad (blueprint are good) and the benefits outweigh the downsides. Remember also that a high percentage of imports are well looked after, and nicely modded - car ownership in Japan is an expensive buisiness, and most - not all models - are well cared for. Be wary of a full service history - these are mostly falsified, as Japan servicing is usually by way of door stickers rather than service books - these are usually blank, and filled in after purchase from Auction. All wrx old shape (classics) are Imports by the way - uk ones were 210bhp iirc, going up to 215 or so later on. By the way, the 260 and above bhp must be run on 97 ron - funnily enough, mine runs better on 95 than 97, and I have had no problems, but as stated, I do not rag it everywhere, and warm up & cool down properly - also be carefull to stay below three figures - the inercooler scoop does not work efficiently enough above this, and the engine can let go quickly due to prolonged high speed runs.
Good luck,
Mart