ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

type r lads here please, need a question answered

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2006, 10:01 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type r lads here please, need a question answered

hi guys, i wanted ask you guys when you go over say a drive that has big slope and the rear wheel lifts up does you're stop moving like a rwd? (i am asking with the dccd in free position) i got a video as well and i will upload it tomorrow just incase you guys don't get it.

thanks for the replies guys
Old 18 April 2006, 10:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

only if your rear LSD isnt working properly, otherwise you should get some drive from the other 3 wheels.

You dont have a DCCD gearbox in a non DCCD originally equipped car do you?
Old 18 April 2006, 10:18 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

nope the car is v4 type r 1998, the dccd works but i forgot to try it with dccd forward a few notches as that normally sends power to front wheels, i guess thats a job for tomorow.
Old 18 April 2006, 10:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

should still provide torque to the other wheels if the rear LSD is working, even with the centre diff set open.

What oil is in the rear diff?
Old 18 April 2006, 10:46 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Ive had this happen whilst reversing up a steep drive with some jap coilovers on.....knock it forward a couple of notches and it was fine????

Not experienced any other problems with dccd and thought this was normal?
Old 19 April 2006, 08:45 AM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

well i tried it with a dcd a few notches and did work and pulled itself up and i wasn't reversing it was the front wheel up first and were both on the ground. Only one of the rear got off the ground.

It feels like a permanent rear wheel drive with the diff free there is no power to front wheel at all, i know theres is 33/66 bias but my car has never felt like that in the free position.

How of ten does the lsd oil need to be changed? and what type needs to be used? My brother normally does the servicing but he is out of the country and might as well do the Lsd oil but it did have a service recently.

thanks guys
Old 19 April 2006, 11:48 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The rear diff needs an LSD specific oil for the plates in the LSD to function correctly. Use a non LSD specific oil and the LSD slips and doesnt provide correct drive. I use Silcolene BOA 90 LS (1.1Litres) in the rear diff.

I am currently using Millers CRX 75w90 in the gearbox.

On TypeR/RA's you should replace the gearbox oil every 20,000 Km, rear diff oil every 40,000 Km. I dont know anyone who lists 20K Km as the replacement period for the gearbox oil when doing services in the UK, they all seem to use the normal Viscous Coupling timescales, which is wrong acording to the japanese manuals for this model.

On the TypeR you have no front LSD, so you can lose complete drive if the front wheel leaves the ground when the centre diff is open. On some TypeRA's you have a Helical front LSD, which retains drive even with the front wheel off the ground and centre diff open.

The rear LSD should provide some limited drive with one rear wheel off the ground, even if the centre diff is free on bothe the TypeR and TypeRA. You will get more drive using some lock on the centre diff of course.

Last edited by johnfelstead; 19 April 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:34 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

And for once, it is a nice cheap oil to get hold of!
John, what would be the implications to the drive of the car if a non lsd oil was used (Type R)

I havent changed it since I have had the car, and I am a little worried about what oil has been used (car has always had a little "whine" from the diff)!

I think I will be getting some and changing to ease my worrying! I did the gearbox oil last year, and was about to do the diff, and realised I didnt have LS specific oil, so stopped myself!
Old 20 April 2006, 09:57 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Use a non LSD specific oil and the LSD slips and doesnt provide correct drive. It's unlikely to do any damage apart from to the bodywork when you go off backwards through a wall due to wheelspin.
Old 20 April 2006, 10:06 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Ahh OK, that has alleviated my fears

Is it normal to have some degree of "whine" to the diff (has been there since I had the car, and it is now on 45k miles)?

BTW, car is still performing faultlessly since my visit to Mr. Rawle!

To be fair, you can't really hear the whine with the Nur SPec on (although it is more bearable with the EL manifold)!
Old 20 April 2006, 01:11 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

I put some Castol Syntrax in my Type R gearbox a few months ago. Was this a mistake? (I was going to use it in the rear diff too but hadn't got round to it).
Old 20 April 2006, 01:12 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Your OK in the Gearbox, but best not use it in the diff! (assuming it was 75-90)
Old 20 April 2006, 01:53 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony!