ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just Orderd Superleggera 19s

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2006, 10:47 AM
Alf_Wales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Orderd Superleggera 19s

Ive just orderd from revolution a set of superleggera gold 19" with 235/35/19 toyo t-1s for an 2003 sti in wr blue. and lowering it on Tein s.tech 25r 35f next week.

Will I have any problems with arches rubing and scraping on full lock after the Teins?
Old 19 April 2006, 03:00 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, how much are they costing?
Old 19 April 2006, 03:29 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a dig at you mate,

Sounds to me as though you havent given your mods much thought. You will more than likely have some scrubbing issues, but more to the point your handling issues will far out weigh your scrubbing.

I think your car will look very nice, but tein springs are more looks orientated rather than handling as they drop the car too much, and the 19"s are too big IMO.

To take advantage of what your car was designed for in the first place you should be more looking at 18"s max with some prodrive control springs.

Only my opinion but im sure there are many here that will share it too

Good luck
Old 19 April 2006, 03:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above poster, except I'd go a step further and look at the Powerstation Type 20 set-up with AST coilovers (you decide the drop) and Whiteline ARB's, links and ALK. I have part of this (AST's & rear ARB) and I can honestly say the handling is nothing short of spectacular. He's also right about the wheels. 19's look awesome, but the handling will become skittish and ride quality will be very poor on typical UK (3rd world) roads. 18's are the perfect compromise for looks and handling. Whatever you do, the Whiteline 22mm rear adjustable ARB is a must.
Old 19 April 2006, 03:57 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the new ultraleggra, fantastic looking rim!!!
Old 19 April 2006, 04:21 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Didnt have a problem with my 19inch superleggras on my 2004 WRX on Full lock, it was when I tried to give the car a blast round the corner, I had the wheels rub the rear arches(Took a chunk out of the lining), to be fair, They looked really nice but I didnt like them for when I wanted to give the car a bit of a workout.

Got 18inch Prodrive WRC-1 wheels on now and they are perfect with the Eibach coilovers and powerstation set-up, and no problems with rubbing at all, even when I drive the car hard..
Old 19 April 2006, 04:21 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

I'm with the guys above! Consider this move carefully as it will transform the car drastically and not for the better!

It will look GREAT but if you are a driver it could end up costing you dearly!

I ruined a 106 GTI 16V Pug once making it look great and ruining the work Peugeot put into it's handling! It was rubbish at handling with the mods so in the end and I sold it but only after spinning it a few times (Once at 70mph on a Welsh road) and scaring myself stupid!

I think about what I'm doing much more now!

Trending Topics

Old 19 April 2006, 04:40 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
I ordered a Tein kit - including the electronic box that adjusts settings from inside the car.
Being keen - I checked the install manuals on the Tein UK site - then noticed on the manuals for the suspension kit and the electronic box - that they are not approved for road use!
I contacted the dealer that I ordered the kit from to make sure I was not seeing things - they contacted Tein UK and they confirmed that their Superstreet kit is not European TUV approved for road use!!!!
I then decided to cancel my order - as I would not like to have a prang in a car - then my insurance company decide not to payout - as I had non EU approved bits fitted!
Suspension and brakes are such an important part of the car - I just would not risk it.
I cancelled my order and am going down the Powerstation, AST route - which I have been assured is TUV approved.
I also heard that a lot of people find the Tein kit just too hard.
Cheers
Steve
Old 19 April 2006, 05:52 PM
Alf_Wales
Scooby Regular

hi thanks for the coments but coilovers are not an option as they are 2 expensive and i thought that the teins do the same job as prodrive springs dont prodrive lower 25m allround and teins 25m rear 35m front?

but as for the 19s i will let you all know next week I have been through the pots here and just found diferent oppinions some ok some as above.

I will post pics when they are all fitted

I might hold off seeling the rotas for a while.
Old 19 April 2006, 06:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Teins may lower the car just like the Prodrives, but there the similarity ends. Even Eibach who make the Prodrive springs were amazed at the results from the specifications requested by Prodrive for the Subaru springs. The Eibach equivalent are not as good as the Prodrives even though they make 'em, and under license they cannot market the same springs under their own or anyone elses name. If you can only stretch to springs then get the proper Prodrives, or at worst the Eibach version. The Whiteline ARB however is a must no matter what else you do.
Old 19 April 2006, 06:17 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Previous owner of my STi has some 18" wheels with 40mm tyres combined with Koni springs with a 30mm drop and those rubbed quite badly from what I'm told. Fine with 17" though.
Old 19 April 2006, 06:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Spirit, just so's you know, the profile figure on a tyre isn't in mm, it's % of the width. For example, a 225/40 will have a 90mm tyre wall as that is 40% of 225mm wide. My 215/45's on a WRX are 96.75mm.
Old 19 April 2006, 08:05 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Well you learn something new every day - I've thought it was in mm for years Cheers for enlightening me
Old 19 April 2006, 09:07 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanUK
I'm with the guys above! Consider this move carefully as it will transform the car drastically and not for the better!

It will look GREAT but if you are a driver it could end up costing you dearly!

I ruined a 106 GTI 16V Pug once making it look great and ruining the work Peugeot put into it's handling! It was rubbish at handling with the mods so in the end and I sold it but only after spinning it a few times (Once at 70mph on a Welsh road) and scaring myself stupid!

I think about what I'm doing much more now!
Made the same mistake with my 106 GTi, put 17s on and ruined the handling.
Old 19 April 2006, 11:04 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alf,

Sorry if i pee'd on your fire a bit, i just dont wanna see someone throw a lot of money... and no matter which way you look at it, it is a lot of money at some mods and end up disappointed due to not doing some homework they wished they'd done beforehand.

All the best

Frayz
Old 20 April 2006, 06:27 PM
stewby2202
Scooby Regular

Talking cheers corrado

you,ve just ended years of confusion,45% of the width,Now i finally get it!!!!!,Any idea how they calculate the speed ratings.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:59 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

Impreza sti + 19inch Wheels = one sure way to f*ck the handing on a perfectly good car.
Old 21 April 2006, 06:42 PM
scoobudydoo
Scooby Regular

good maths karl-al a gold star for you mate