Is my new windscreen a dud?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2006, 08:57 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my new windscreen a dud?

Hi,

I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass this afternoon having picked up a large stone chip a couple of days ago. The bloke that turned up did a good job & told me not to drive for an hour or so to let the adhesive bond correctly.

I have taken the car out this evening & have noticed only what I can describe as a sort of magnifying effect in the glass when viewed at certain angles - never had this issue with my standard screen & it makes driving very distracting & is over the entire windscreen. In addition, I don't think the new windscreen has the same tint as my standard screen (wrx my05).

Has anyone else experienced this with replacement glass? Any ideas what I should do?

Cheers

Last edited by JonesyWRX; 23 April 2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 23 April 2006, 09:31 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get them to come and have a look at it, I've seen it before but not really over the entire surface of the screen. Just show the guy what you mean and if defective (sure it is) they will just put another in for you. They will return the glass as defective.

Tints will vary slightly too.

Dave (Autoglass Fitter)
Old 23 April 2006, 09:36 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Got a new screen fitted just after xmas by rac auto windscreens in stafford. No probs at the time, but in the last couple of weeks I was driving back from shrewsbury and this awful sound started, like someone was stamping on my roof!
Stopped and got out for a look and the trim round the windscreen was flapping about, so I just pushed it back into place.
Anyway my mate and I went down to Filtermania in Stafford and when he got out the passenger side it was all flapping about round his side again, so I took it in and they re glued it in on the spot no worries. seems spot on now.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:19 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonesyWRX
Hi,

I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass this afternoon having picked up a large stone chip a couple of days ago. The bloke that turned up did a good job & told me not to drive for an hour or so to let the adhesive bond correctly.

I have taken the car out this evening & have noticed only what I can describe as a sort of magnifying effect in the glass when viewed at certain angles - never had this issue with my standard screen & it makes driving very distracting & is over the entire windscreen. In addition, I don't think the new windscreen has the same tint as my standard screen (wrx my05).

Has anyone else experienced this with replacement glass? Any ideas what I should do?

Cheers
Sounds like a second!

All the windows in my mates Council house is like this, never heard of using seconds on cars though, this could prove highly dangerous, worse than a stone chip in drivers vision.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:42 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danwrx1980
Got a new screen fitted just after xmas by rac auto windscreens in stafford. No probs at the time, but in the last couple of weeks I was driving back from shrewsbury and this awful sound started, like someone was stamping on my roof!
Stopped and got out for a look and the trim round the windscreen was flapping about, so I just pushed it back into place.
Anyway my mate and I went down to Filtermania in Stafford and when he got out the passenger side it was all flapping about round his side again, so I took it in and they re glued it in on the spot no worries. seems spot on now.

That happened to my old Forester - unfotunatley the end of the rubber strip beat very tiny dents all over the roof as it flapped around at high speed.
Check your roof!!.

Nick