ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

As a company car!?!

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2006, 11:31 PM
magpie21
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As a company car!?!

Hi all. New to the site and have found reading through the posts very informative.

I use my car for work alot, travel about 2500 - 3000 miles a month and am thinking about getting an impreza!

My company give me 550 a month to fund a car with and I don't mind adding to that to have a nice drive. In the past 2 years I've had an Audi S3, BMW 330ci, Golf pd 150 and am currently driving a v6 vectra

As you can tell I get bored easily, only just got the vectra but I'm looking out for something else already. I'll probably change in the next 6 months.

My question is do any of you think it's impractical to have an impreza covering this many miles a month, not so much in terms of cost as I appreciate it's not going to be cheap but in terms of daily comfort in the car and actually living with the thing. I really fancy an sti but is that a bit hardcore for the miles i'll be doing?

And in terms of car age the company say I'm not allowed to drive anything older than 3 years so I guess it's an early 'blobeye'?

Thanks
Old 27 April 2006, 11:34 PM
ZYRUSS
Scooby Regular

STI's are a harsh ride, but the WRX is a little easier to live with.
Old 28 April 2006, 06:45 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

similar problem as yourself - i am taking the plunge and buying one. Comfort I'm sure will be an issue, but you can't have everything. I'm sure your back will mould to the car seat in time.
I posted the thread below

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=509373
Old 28 April 2006, 07:31 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

IMHO . . .WrX All the way! No mods . .No chavs . .It will run fine . . .All the cars mentioned by you to date are crap . . .The Scoob I find quite practical even driving around London!

You can make what you want out of it!

Enjoy! And hope you come to the right decision!

p.s . . Comfort has never been an issue if you are a real man!
Old 28 April 2006, 08:07 PM
magpie21
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't call the cars I've owned so far crap, each to their own I suppose . they've all offered something different so it has been fun experiencing them all.

As for comfort, it's a bonus if it has a nice ride but by the same token with the miles I cover i don't want to be riding in a boneshaker for the majority of my day. Thanks for the advice though maybe a wrx is the way to go
Old 28 April 2006, 08:08 PM
magpie21
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by thayer
similar problem as yourself - i am taking the plunge and buying one. Comfort I'm sure will be an issue, but you can't have everything. I'm sure your back will mould to the car seat in time.
I posted the thread below

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=509373
thanks for the advice mate are you any closer to making a decision/ will be interesting to see how you get on
Old 28 April 2006, 08:09 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a WRX as a company car (opted out of scheme) & do about 2k mile per month.

i've had it from new & have owned it for about 6 months now & love it; it's reliable & doing this sort of mileage keeps you entertained. Only real downside for me is fuel consumption (average c 22 mpg) + limited range - no more than 280 on a tank.

All my colleagues in their 320d's etc think I'm mad, but I think they'd secretly love to have the Scooby.

IMO it's a great choice as company wheels
Old 28 April 2006, 08:31 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magpie21
My question is do any of you think it's impractical to have an impreza covering this many miles a month, not so much in terms of cost as I appreciate it's not going to be cheap but in terms of daily comfort in the car and actually living with the thing. I really fancy an sti but is that a bit hardcore for the miles i'll be doing?
Thanks
You need to drive both a WRX and STI. STI is a harder ride but the seats are basically the same as the WRX in terms of comfort / support around 7 / 10. I've had Imprezas for the last 8 yrs on the company - done about 160K in that time without problem. Can do 200mile trips without an issue.

You do need to think about the miles. 2500 business miles is going to cost you about £5.5K in fuel a year but a sensible motorway driving
Old 28 April 2006, 09:36 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I wouldn't call the cars I've owned so far crap, each to their own I suppose . they've all offered something different so it has been fun experiencing them all.

As for comfort, it's a bonus if it has a nice ride but by the same token with the miles I cover i don't want to be riding in a boneshaker for the majority of my day. Thanks for the advice though maybe a wrx is the way to go
Hello again Magpie / /Each to their own . .Agreed! But Of all the cars I have driven, there have perhaps been faster cars, more expensice cars, but I am convinced that the Subaru is by nature the BETTER car . .I would not say its a boneshaker like the TVR say . .The ride is comfortable and pleasant . .I do not know of a car that can fly over speed humps at leisure like the SCoob . .OK . .All cars are different, but the Scoob is guaranteed to put a smile on yr face like no other . .! Just take it for a test drive and you will see what I mean . .My scoob is the first Scoob I ever owned and no regrets! Would not swap it for a Veyron!

You see . .The way I feel about it, is that the Subaru is not about the acceliration, steering, ride or handling . . .Its the combination of things put together that makes the car exempliary . .Company or not company car . . .Even fuel consumption wise . .Keep it under 3 k revs and it will run like an ordinary 2L car . .

Hope this helps . . .Enjoy!
Old 28 April 2006, 10:54 PM
magpie21
Scooby Newbie

wrx300 - thanks for the advice mate , i'm sure a scooby will put a smile on my face, i'm going to try to get a test drive in the next couple of weeks, i'm almost putting it off because i know as soon as i have a blast in one i'll be on a mission to get one, even though I'm not going to be in a position to get one until july/aug time
Old 28 April 2006, 11:03 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Hard ride and loud exhaust doing 3000 motorway miles. No way

But who cares? Just get one
Old 29 April 2006, 12:17 AM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

Magpie, im 99% certain that i'm going to get an STI PPP, i suspect the ride will be a little more harsh than the civic i currently have but i can live with that, i wonder what it is like to be a REAL MAN . WRXman - you sound rather **** - message below - you **** down a 4" pipe the same as all of us.

"But Of all the cars I have driven, there have perhaps been faster cars, more expensice cars, "
Old 29 April 2006, 12:20 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

wrx300 - thanks for the advice mate , i'm sure a scooby will put a smile on my face, i'm going to try to get a test drive in the next couple of weeks, i'm almost putting it off because i know as soon as i have a blast in one i'll be on a mission to get one, even though I'm not going to be in a position to get one until july/aug time
By all means, you are most welcome Magpie! I think you will see that it put's the oppositions down, and in most respects can not be equaled! . .As my dealer quite rightly pointed out . . - - - "Everyone who drives a Subaru ends up buying one" . . . I think he knew what he was saying as he was encouraging me ----- . . ." Go on Ivan . .Put your foot down!!!!" . . .

July /August you say . . .Mate . .I know you will end up test driving one in about 3 days!!!

Anyhow . . .Enjoy it! And please let us know how find it!

Disclaimer: I am not payed by Subaru, but simply love them to bits as I regard them as an act of Genious!
Old 29 April 2006, 12:27 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

Magpie, im 99% certain that i'm going to get an STI PPP, i suspect the ride will be a little more harsh than the civic i currently have but i can live with that, i wonder what it is like to be a REAL MAN . WRXman - you sound rather **** - message below - you **** down a 4" pipe the same as all of us.

"But Of all the cars I have driven, there have perhaps been faster cars, more expensive cars, "
Sorry there sport . . .Perhaps you would like to read the above once more, but in context .i.e . . Detail is not yur strong point . .Porsche 911 is faster (possibly) and more expensive (Ferrai Testarossa or 348), but I once again repeat for the particularly gifted sections of SN, that I am convinced it is the IMPREZA is the BETTER car . . . Good night!

And yes . .Harsh ride . .Real men don't complain about the ride! . . . .Perhaps you are more suited to a Civic!?
Old 29 April 2006, 12:46 AM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

To-shay - LOL . detail doesn't seem to be your strong point either, "IT IS" not required in that particular sentence (surprising how **** we can all be) it made me laugh none the less.

With regards to the ride, I haven't as yet bought a scooby and therefore can only repeat what every other forum member has said, which is that the STI has a notoriously stiff ride. I can only hope that when i have bought my first scooby I will man enough not to mention the harsh ride.
Old 29 April 2006, 01:22 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

To-shay - LOL . detail doesn't seem to be your strong point either, "IT IS" not required in that particular sentence (surprising how **** we can all be) it made me laugh none the less.

With regards to the ride, I haven't as yet bought a scooby and therefore can only repeat what every other forum member has said, which is that the STI has a notoriously stiff ride. I can only hope that when i have bought my first scooby I will man enough not to mention the harsh ride.
Mate . .Give me a break with the S.P.G . . .Some of these threads I reply to after having 5 pints . . . . . .However . .I stand firm . .Only girls , or people unsure of their sexuality will start complaining about the sTI "stiff" ride . .

Good night and sweet dreams of the STi!
Old 29 April 2006, 04:47 AM
swifty.....!
Scooby Regular

i've got an 05 sti with prodrive springs and recently did a 350mile drive none stop then also 350 back and had no probs didn't stop off either. i'd say the cars comfortable prob more than most.
Old 29 April 2006, 07:45 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Yes the STI is stiff and noisy, always amazes me how much smoother and quieter the missus Mondeo is in comparison but that is not the question - that's what goes a long way to making it such fun to drive.

The question is - is it too stiff or noisy to drive 2500 miles a month in it to which the answer is no.

Or as WRX300Man says

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
. .Only girls , or people unsure of their sexuality will start complaining about the sTI "stiff" ride . .
P.S - On the noisy front don't both with a handsfree kit - you won't hear it - go straight to a bluetooth handset.

Last edited by bluepolarbear; 29 April 2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 29 April 2006, 09:16 AM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

WRXman - I only dress up as Sally on Saturdays, the rest of the week I'm a man. If your offering me the opportunity to find my true sexual preference let me know, it sounds like your game. Just a few vital statistics so you can visualise me 18.5 stone, 6ft 3inch and a hairy ****. It has been good talking.
Old 29 April 2006, 12:55 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

WRXman - I only dress up as Sally on Saturdays, the rest of the week I'm a man. If your offering me the opportunity to find my true sexual preference let me know, it sounds like your game. Just a few vital statistics so you can visualise me 18.5 stone, 6ft 3inch and a hairy ****. It has been good talking.
Nice one Thayer! . .See you down the blue oystrer mate!! . .

p.s . . With that weight , did you not break the Civic's axle??

p.p.s . .On Saturday's I will steer clear of particularly rough birds!

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 29 April 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02 May 2006, 06:47 PM
thayer
Scooby Newbie

WRXMan - all bought and paid for.

Magpie - I purchased a 05 STI PPP and honestly it's a great drive. I've had it 4 days now and the ride id firm but comfortable. Around town is a bit bumpy but acceleration on the dual carriageway is very smooth - surprisingly smooth. Combined fuel consumption - I have got about 24mpg and the last two days I've done 315miles out of 53litres. Definitely a must buy.
The car is unbelievable around country lanes, it's a no brainer IMO.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 02 May 2006, 08:14 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

WRXMan - all bought and paid for.

Magpie - I purchased a 05 STI PPP and honestly it's a great drive. I've had it 4 days now and the ride id firm but comfortable. Around town is a bit bumpy but acceleration on the dual carriageway is very smooth - surprisingly smooth. Combined fuel consumption - I have got about 24mpg and the last two days I've done 315miles out of 53litres. Definitely a must buy.
The car is unbelievable around country lanes, it's a no brainer IMO.

Good luck in your decision.
Congrats on yr new car Thayer! Enjoy it mate!
Old 02 May 2006, 09:40 PM
superstan
Scooby Newbie

Hi
had 3 as company cars, I do 45k miles per year, got the new wrx since Dec done 16K, also have an STi8, my own car mapped by Bob, lots of mods, as you can see I would say go for it you will not regret it.