ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Fog lights on a classic

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2006, 12:19 PM
DaveA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights on a classic

Hi there. Can anyone tell me why my front fog lights seem to create a vertical line when I switch them on. Going down a nice country road in the dark with them on, I light up all the tree's in front of me but not the damn road!!! It's very annoying. I've tried to turn them through 90 degrees but they don't fit that way round even thought the Subaru wording is side on as they are currently...

Any ideas greatly appreciated...
Old 28 April 2006, 04:30 PM
Mikecam
Scooby Regular

Default Prat lights

Why are you driving around with your bl***y fogs lights on anyway? You turnips seam to think its cool, you all just look like you've left em on since last january and are such observant drivers you haven't noticed the warning light on your dash. They are not "driving lghts" all they do is dazzle oncoming drivers and make you look like a pillock. Did you know the fine for misuse of fog lights is up to £1000-!
Old 28 April 2006, 04:45 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikecam
Why are you driving around with your bl***y fogs lights on anyway? You turnips seam to think its cool, you all just look like you've left em on since last january and are such observant drivers you haven't noticed the warning light on your dash. They are not "driving lghts" all they do is dazzle oncoming drivers and make you look like a pillock. Did you know the fine for misuse of fog lights is up to £1000-!
For all you know mate he could turn them off when he sees oncoming traffic, e.g. like we all do when using full beam, and he stated he was using them at night not during the day

Next time mate have a bit of a think before you post, you might look a bit less stupid
Old 28 April 2006, 05:01 PM
DaveA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikecam

I am actually a Police Officer and the fine for this is a Non Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice which is a £30 fine. Also, the law states that the use of fog lights is only permitted when visibility is less than 100 yards which often happens where I live in the winter and when it's foggy early mornings when I go to work. Thanks for your advice anyway... I'll remember to give myself a ticket should I break the law in future... Also, being an advanced Police driver - I like to think I'm one of the most observant drivers on the road and so would notice the light on the foglight switch (not on the dash on a Scooby) if it were on when I didn't want it to be...

Anyone actually got an answer for me now then as to why they are shinning the wrong way???
Old 28 April 2006, 05:04 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Sounds stupid but could the bulbs be invertedly mounted?
Old 28 April 2006, 05:43 PM
DaveA
Scooby Regular

Possible but I can't see that making any difference to be honest. They'll only go 180 degrees not 90 I think. Thanks for the idea though!
Old 28 April 2006, 05:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by DaveA

I am actually a Police Officer and the fine for this is a Non Endorsable Fixed Penalty Notice which is a £30 fine. Also, the law states that the use of fog lights is only permitted when visibility is less than 100 yards which often happens where I live in the winter and when it's foggy early mornings when I go to work. Thanks for your advice anyway... I'll remember to give myself a ticket should I break the law in future... Also, being an advanced Police driver - I like to think I'm one of the most observant drivers on the road and so would notice the light on the foglight switch (not on the dash on a Scooby) if it were on when I didn't want it to be...

Anyone actually got an answer for me now then as to why they are shinning the wrong way???
Ah but your original post states that your lighting up trees, if it were foggy then you would only light up the fog and get a really nice white sheet in front of you
As an advanced driver AND a police officer, you should know that fogs are illegal when visability is greater than 100 yards, this seems to be the case if your lighting up trees.
And if you want to see how an advanced driver with no foglights adapts to foggy conditions, just ask my sister or her husband who are both advanced drivers (paramedics) and they will give you this simple answer, "reduce your speed to adapt to the conditions".
There is your answer

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2006, 05:47 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ah but your original post states that your lighting up trees, if it were foggy then you would only light up the fog and get a really nice white sheet in front of you
As an advanced driver AND a police officer, you should know that fogs are illegal when visability is greater than 100 yards, this seems to be the case if your lighting up trees.
And if you want to see how an advanced driver with no foglights adapts to foggy conditions, just ask my sister or her husband who are both advanced drivers (paramedics) and they will give you this simple answer, "reduce your speed to adapt to the conditions".
There is your answer

Tony

Old 28 April 2006, 06:03 PM
DaveA
Scooby Regular

helpful answers seem to be flowing. The good book actually says "you must be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear". This is obviously less in foggy conditions but the lights are still lighting things up the wrong way whether it's white sheet or trees or whatever. Now, can anyone actually answer my original question rather than just having a pop about the use of fog lights please...?
Old 28 April 2006, 06:13 PM
roscow
Scooby Regular

Dont know the answer mate but mine are the same, i just thought that was the way there meant to be, will have a wee tinker with them and see if it makes an difference ,

cheers
Old 28 April 2006, 08:10 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

If you want to light up the entire road perhaps you should dump your fog lights and invest in a driving lamp kit, after all fog lights are what it says they are for driving in fog! Does anyone on here know how the beam on a front fog light is supposed to be set?
Still surprises me how many numpties still drive round with their fog lights on in broard day light!
Why????
Old 28 April 2006, 08:20 PM
geesta
Scooby Regular

Whats the problem with using fog lights in the dark on a country lane?