Smoking from engine

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2006, 06:33 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking from engine

I have an oil leak on my car causing the engine to smoke i think because of the oil going on to the manifiold .I steam cleaned the engine the other day to get rid of any oil build up,Checked the rocker cover gaskets which don't appear to be leaking .Had the car on the ramps again today and can't establish where the leak is coming from ,However it could be coming from under the timing belt cover . Anyone have any suggestions where else it could be coming from.Thanks for your help.The car is an L reg wrx ra.

Also does anyone know of any good garages to take your scooby around cardiff area or Bridgend ,South wales. Cheers guys.
Old 28 April 2006, 06:40 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Camshaft oil seals IMO
Old 28 April 2006, 06:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

front crankshaft oil seal

about £90 from a good inde to replace

mart
Old 28 April 2006, 07:03 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

HI james, had similar on my 98 car and have just had it sorted out.

If it doesnt look like its coming from the rocker covers, is probably either the oil pump seal, or crankshaft seal - bad news is if its been leaking oil behind the cambelt covers, you'll need to get the cambelt changed as well to be safe.

Probably worth getting it booked into CVC in Cardiff and getting them to look at it and find out exactly what is leaking so you know what needs doing - you may get it done cheaper somewhere else but there arent any independent garages in Cardiff that have a particularly good reputation for working on Subarus that I know of.
Old 28 April 2006, 07:17 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

cheers lads thanks for all your advice,Much appreciated
Old 28 April 2006, 08:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
HI james, had similar on my 98 car and have just had it sorted out.

If it doesnt look like its coming from the rocker covers, is probably either the oil pump seal, or crankshaft seal - bad news is if its been leaking oil behind the cambelt covers, you'll need to get the cambelt changed as well to be safe.

Probably worth getting it booked into CVC in Cardiff and getting them to look at it and find out exactly what is leaking so you know what needs doing - you may get it done cheaper somewhere else but there arent any independent garages in Cardiff that have a particularly good reputation for working on Subarus that I know of.

the front crankshaft seal and oil pump seal are one and the same,,,, if its leaking from here, it can only be behind the covers!... the cambelt dosent need to be changed, unless its contaminated. the oil runs out of the seal lower, and leaks through a poor fitting cover gasket, where it drips down, and lands on the headers.... in reality unless its super shagged, its not a huge problem, mine went for almost a year before i got it done...

dont let garages fob you off, all it is is a simple oil seal replacement, any half decent garage should be able to do it. what they dont like is the cambelt side of things

Mart
Old 30 June 2006, 02:30 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
the front crankshaft seal and oil pump seal are one and the same,,,, if its leaking from here, it can only be behind the covers!... the cambelt dosent need to be changed, unless its contaminated. the oil runs out of the seal lower, and leaks through a poor fitting cover gasket, where it drips down, and lands on the headers.... in reality unless its super shagged, its not a huge problem, mine went for almost a year before i got it done...

dont let garages fob you off, all it is is a simple oil seal replacement, any half decent garage should be able to do it. what they dont like is the cambelt side of things

Mart
Does the Cambelt have to come off to get to it?
Old 30 June 2006, 02:39 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Yes timing belt does have to come off.