Track days

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2006, 07:37 PM
Paddy Power
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track days

Anyone taken their car on one?

Have been looking at the one at brands hatch for novices its only 100 quid.

Just want to know what sort of maintenance cost would be required after 2 hours on the track and is the car up to it?

Also how does the insurance work

I got 03 sti.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:35 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Hello Paddy,

This section may help
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=25

and some good reading here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=501093
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=494831

In terms of your car being up to it, well that depends on whether it's been looked after or not. Being 3 years old I'm guessing it'll be ok - check the levels before you go and if you're due an oil change, get it done before. Two hours on track will see the pads and tyres wear considerably and expect to budget for 3+ tanks of fuel. Take the instruction - it'll proove invaluable. If you can, change the brake fluid before you go too, so it's nice and fresh and if you can stretch to uprated pads then do, the OE efforts tend to fade under sustained high speed braking. All of this is dependant on your level of mechanical sympathy and how many 10ths of a second you want to squeeze out of your Impreza.

Personally, I don't bother with insurance (I rely on my right foot), but if you don't fancy the risk then have a look below

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

That's all the serious stuff out the way.

It's an amazing experience. The first time you're let loose will be frightening and liberating in equal measure. By the end of the day you'll be staggered by what you and your car are actually capable of.

Enjoy,

James
Old 18 May 2006, 08:53 PM
HowardG
Scooby Regular

Definately do it. You won't regret it. I agree with the advise given but would not worry about uprating anything yet. The standard car if in good condition and with plenty of tyres and brakes left will be fine. Don't be surprised if the car is better than you!

Part of the skill is finding the limits of your car, including knowing when the brakes need to cool down a bit. Any fool can slam them on without regard, but after all, plenty of race cars get a long pedal in the heat of the race and the driver needs to nurse the brakes to the finish.

Given all the talk on SN about uprating this and that, its a surprise you don't see that many Subarus at track days.

I'm booked at Bedford on 27 May - why not try it!

Howard
Old 18 May 2006, 08:58 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took mine to Elvington last weekend. It's a MY05 WRX & I destroyed the front brakes & tyres - factor in the cost of the trak day + fuel & it works out a very expensive day indeed. Good way of finding your (& the cars) limits though but next time I think I'll be hiring one of their Caterhams for the day.

Jonesy
Old 18 May 2006, 09:11 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

An 03 STi will be great fun on track - do it!

Make sure you do a cool down lap after any hard driving - it will save the pads from glazing and discs from warping (an expensive mistake I once made with the standard braking set up!)

Tuition is a good idea if this is your first track experience, normally its in their cars so reduces the wear on yours while you learn the track and make any mistakes!!

You really get to learn the ability of the car and where the limits are. The Scoob is fun on track but not the cheapest to maintain if you get enthusiastic!

Ooh and once you have the bug be ready to bend your plastic on everything from uprated Anti Roll Bars to a free breathing Zaust!
Old 18 May 2006, 09:22 PM
Paddy Power
Scooby Newbie

cheers guys. Where is bedford? I am in croydon anywhere near?

So i will be looking at 400 for the tyres 100 for pads and then a quick oil change the day before so the cost of a can of oil.

Will you really get through a set of pads that quickly?
Old 18 May 2006, 09:42 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paddy Power
cheers guys. Where is bedford? I am in croydon anywhere near?

So i will be looking at 400 for the tyres 100 for pads and then a quick oil change the day before so the cost of a can of oil.

Will you really get through a set of pads that quickly?
I think your best bet for a 1st trackday is Bedford Autodrome. The track is nice and smooth (good to tyres) and has very wide run off areas - helps to inspire and build your confidence the more you drive it. I did my 1st trackday there and have done loads since on proper racing circuits.

I would recommend an oil change just before you run, and check your brake pads for plenty of life and check all your tyres. You shouldn't write off a srt of tyres at somewhere like Bedford.

You should spend about 15 minutes on track at a time - much more and you begin to lose concentration. Also as suggested, allow a lap to cool down your brakes before coming back in.

Get signed up for a day and have some fun
Old 18 May 2006, 09:52 PM
HowardG
Scooby Regular

Bedford Autodrome is near, er, Bedford. In Bedfordshire, I think!

Unless you go completely bonkers and let the tyres scrub badly (bad technique) you shouldn't eat a set in a day. Depends on the amount of tread you start with. If it's raining you won't get too much wear at all.

Maybe half a set of pads.

As for fuel, you will use plenty, but over a day your time on track may amount to two and a half hours - its tiring concentrating that hard.

What I'm saying is that, yes, it isn't cheap but often the costs are spread out. You just need to replace tyres and pads sooner, but not necessarily that week/ month. And when the scheduled service comes along you use fully synthetic oil and have the brakes bled, even if the schedule says it's not necessary.

Don't think too hard about it - just do it!

Howard
Old 18 May 2006, 10:04 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

i'm hoping someone gives him advice on tyre pressures

i need to know , i've done a few track days at haynes motor museum, only a small track but i am doing castle combe in august . .

i have noticed alot of folks letting air out of there tyres

any recommendations as to what psi anyone should have in them, while on track.
classic scoob uk my00
Old 18 May 2006, 10:23 PM
Rich_B
Scooby Regular

On my MY99 on standard 16" wheels, I run the fronts a couple of psi higher than standard, and the rears at the "high load" setting, so 35/32 f/r.
Old 18 May 2006, 11:29 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Every person i know who has a few track days under their belts seem to be far superior fast road drivers - unlike me who is all over the show.

serously though one of our group used to be so slow on the road - now he is a track day junkie, and soooo fast on the road. and i mean fast and safe - not reckless.
Old 19 May 2006, 04:42 PM
Paddy Power
Scooby Newbie

any details for this bedford track?

What do they charge?

My mate has been trying to pursuade me to go halves on a turbo 2000 with him to use soley as a track car. Will try one first in mine and if i like then may well take him up on his offer as i would rather not thrash my relatively new car to bits when i can do so in a older car that can be better prepared for just track use.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with insurance. If i were to opt for the T2000 can i just turn up with it on a trailer and race it without insurance? I would have thought you need insurance, but i have heard people saying that they dont bother. Whats the score?
Old 19 May 2006, 04:50 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Bedford is a good starter track with good run off areas.

You need to try one of the big track day companies and see what they have organised there. Bookatrack or some such outfit. They will probably be linked from the main bedford site.

Gary
Old 19 May 2006, 04:57 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Bedford...

http://media.putfile.com/bedford-65

Gary
Old 19 May 2006, 05:00 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

http://media.putfile.com/spinscoob

http://media.putfile.com/fieldscoob

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 19 May 2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 19 May 2006, 05:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paddy Power
any details for this bedford track?

What do they charge?

My mate has been trying to pursuade me to go halves on a turbo 2000 with him to use soley as a track car. Will try one first in mine and if i like then may well take him up on his offer as i would rather not thrash my relatively new car to bits when i can do so in a older car that can be better prepared for just track use.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with insurance. If i were to opt for the T2000 can i just turn up with it on a trailer and race it without insurance? I would have thought you need insurance, but i have heard people saying that they dont bother. Whats the score?
I think Imprezas are great for occasional track work but I wouldn't choose one as a special. Lot's of other lighter, more economical and more involving cars around for similar money.
Old 19 May 2006, 07:31 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I think Imprezas are great for occasional track work but I wouldn't choose one as a special. Lot's of other lighter, more economical and more involving cars around for similar money.
agreed
Old 19 May 2006, 07:51 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by terryb
I think your best bet for a 1st trackday is Bedford Autodrome. The track is nice and smooth (good to tyres) and has very wide run off areas - helps to inspire and build your confidence the more you drive it.
Terry is right IIRC J palmer group also owns Brands Hatch and Oulton Park Try

http://www.bedfordautodrome.com/

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/tr...rackdaysbasite

Things can go wrong at trackdays You drive totally at your own risk the is no apportioning of blame if your car is damaged however or by However you pick up the tab.

I am lucky my road Insurance covers me for Trackdays and have had to used it once as you can see on this Video http://www.sidtech.co.uk/vu/JAPFEST2004_ALL_LAPS.wmv

Tony
Old 19 May 2006, 07:57 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You gonna have a crack at something like that tomorrow Tony? If so let me know what time and what corner, I will be ready
Old 22 May 2006, 07:19 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've been on a couple of trackdays with a mate of mine who owns a GT3 (nice car!). Wear and tear on the car goes up fairly steeply. All this means though is that bits need replacing sooner than if you hadn't done the trackday ... you do need to budget for this ie deeper pockets needed for trackday buffs.

The bit about the air pressure in the tyres? As the tyres heat up the air pressure inside the tyre builds, hence you need to let some air out otherwise the pressure gets too high. At the end of the day, you need to remember to put some pressure back in mind otherwise the journey home could be interesting!!

TX.
Old 22 May 2006, 07:55 AM
Carlos13
Scooby Regular

I use my impreza only as a track car and have modified it as such.

I agree with the above, standard cars, particularly newage I would say are occasional track cars, as above, so I agree with the above posts. It's due to the weight. On track you notice the weight far more than the road. The heavier it is, the more expensive its going to be on tyres and brakes which are the main track consumables.

It should not be too expensive if you are sensible. Don't carelessly lob it into every bend and don't fight the car. This will limit tyre wear. Also, don't stay out for 30 mins at a time. Do 10 minute stints (say an outlap and two fast laps at Bedford) - this will stop you cooking the brakes and also save the tyres. The fastest wear on tyres and brakes occurs when they are too hot.