ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Scoob 98 Impreza CZ - basic mod ideas help

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2006, 01:39 AM
blumanik
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Scoob 98 Impreza CZ - basic mod ideas help

Hey all, first time user and first time Subaru owner.
I've just purchased a 1998 Subaru 1998 Impreza CZ (wagon), auto, (I thought getting an auto this time round would be easier to multitask while driving - which I shouldn't be doing, lol). It's standard to the bone, you can't get any standard than it is. Just a day ago, I wen to change the oil filter, then I came across pulling out the transmission fuel filter and was close to removing the sump for the transmission fluid too! Good thing a had a friend who also saw the *actual* oil filter and sump, which got me thinking as to why this is like this.
But my real question though, is there anyway that I can modify this beast-to-be, like, better performance? e.g New filter, new exhaust? something that I can afford for the time being.
It's got really low kms - (New Zealander here ) so any ideas on how to improve performance for the time being? I am looking at keeping this car for as long as I can, so in future I'm also looking at more mods.
So any help would be great!
I'm also looking to be helpful to anyone else in future!
See you all!
Old 19 May 2006, 02:47 AM
rob_yorky
Scooby Regular

full exhaust decat.
better panel filter - green or sti type.
suba chip or scoobyecu ecu chip add on.

purchased all mine secondhand except for the chip.
Old 19 May 2006, 03:30 AM
blumanik
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_yorky
full exhaust decat.
better panel filter - green or sti type.
suba chip or scoobyecu ecu chip add on.

purchased all mine secondhand except for the chip.
ok... exhaust decat.?
better panel filter? air filter?
chip? will that work for mine?

I'd definitly like to go with the second hand way, if you have the time and patience, pls explain to a newby like me
Old 19 May 2006, 04:11 AM
rob_yorky
Scooby Regular

exhaust decat, look here for 'Ninja Complete System' to give u an idea of what a decat is (its just the catalytic converters removed from exhaust downpipe & centre exhaust pipe.
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76

better air filter/panel filter = green performance is a good make or sti panel filter - http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/performance_info.asp?c=1

best bet is ebay for used stuff as well as on this forum.

yeah your right the chip wont work with yours, oops. something like a apexi power fc ecu upgrade would be good for your car.
Old 19 May 2006, 05:21 AM
blumanik
Scooby Newbie

whoa!! had a look at the video clip provided for the muffler and whoa...... but do you think this'll work for standard?
i'm currently lookin for a cheap sti panel filter too! thanks for that.
about the chip though, is it compatible with standard vehicles? like mine? lol. i'm tellin ya, it's standard like who knows how standard it can get.
i'll try and get a pix of my car to show what i'm working with...
Old 19 May 2006, 06:59 AM
rob_yorky
Scooby Regular

thats how all these cars start out as standard.

i have a magnex decat header & centre pipe with a tsl firestorm backbox which is a really nice loud deep noise combination. tried a few different backboxes though before i found one i liked, had a scoobyworld ninja backbox before the tsl which is a nice low noise rumble but a bit too quiet. also if u get a full decat exhaust system u may have trouble with mots and emissions. scoobyworld sell a sports cat header which will pass a mot if thats a problem.

maybe do some searching for more info about ecu chip upgrades/remaps for your car on here (thats how i learnt alot) - as i think there a fair few ways of doing it to your car, mines a uk 95 series mcrae so a bit different for some parts. there quite expensive but a good way of getting that extra bhp/torque if your after that.

the green performance air filter is suppose to be just as good as the sti one if you have trouble finding a used sti one.

heres a pic of mine -

also whats a CZ? are you not in the uk?