ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone imported an 06 STI or WRX

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2006, 11:08 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone imported an 06 STI or WRX

With companys such as Alliance and Motorpoint now offering new WRX's for £16,995 and new STI,s for £21,995 on the road with immediate delivery

All with 3 years manufacturers warranty and full UK spec.

Also trade in and finance including personal car plan.

OK so you dont get a free PPP but with the saving you could buy one and still have thousands left over having saved £5000 in the first place.

Anyone gone down this road and if so what was the experience like
Old 19 May 2006, 11:36 AM
sjp63
Scooby Regular

Sounds great but there must be a catch? - do they really have 3 years Subaru warrenty?, alarm, etc etc?
Old 19 May 2006, 11:55 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Guys, not being funny but do a search - there are literally 100's of threads on this, the cars are fine and do have a 3 yr Subaru warranty !!!

Such as this one:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=514028
Old 19 May 2006, 12:18 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

I've got a few minutes so here goes:

I purchased a new Sti from Motorpoint and took delivery 3 weeks ago. They did me a good p/x price on my Octavia Vrs and sold me the Sti for £20995. Then they added on the alarm, tracker, registration fee, road tax, number plates and I paid a total of £ 21974.66 with 3 years Subaru warranty. In addition they were incredibly easy to deal with and a real breath of fresh air after spending the last few weeks treking round the traditional dealers.

10 days after taking delivery of the car it developed a fault on the fly by wire throttle. I telephoned Motorpoint and they assured me it was covered under the Subaru warranty and to book it in to the nearest Subaru dealer. I booked it in to the dealer in Kendal for a slightly early 1000 mile service and the throttle problem, informing them that I'd purchased the car from Motorpoint in advance.

The car went into the dealer on Tuesday of this week (15th). The dealer was excellent did the service whilst I waited and identified that it needed a new throttle body. However when they tried to order the part Subaru UK informed them that the car wasn't registered with them so they wouldn't authorise the repair. I contacted Motorpoint who informed me they had sent the paperwork off to Subaru UK but it can take a few weeks for them to process it. Motorpoint told me that I could either pay for the repair and they would reimburse me or wait a week or so until Subaru UK have processed the paperwork. I informed the dealer and they have ordered the part because they know the car will be covered under warranty as soon as the paperwork has been processed and they don't want to delay the repair.

I can't really blame Motorpoint as they have done all I would expect them to, the Subaru dealer in Kendal has been fantastic, Subaru UK haven't really done anything wrong but at the moment I've got a car that's gone into 'get you home' mode 3 times and I can't get it repaired.

The car is still driveable, I'm sure that Subaru UK will process the paperwork in the next few days and the repair will be done without any problems. Given the cost saving I don't mind putting up with what is a minor inconvenience but I'm not sure I'd feel the same if the car was sat on my drive with a broken engine, gearbox or similar.
Old 19 May 2006, 12:24 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

What was the problem with the throttle?

Mine seems to stick sometimes.
Old 19 May 2006, 12:30 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

It goes into to a 'get you home' mode where it holds a steady 2500 rpm regardless of what you do with the pedal. Switching off, waiting 10 seconds and then restarting resets everything and it works fine - until the next time.
Old 19 May 2006, 06:31 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sjp63
Sounds great but there must be a catch? - do they really have 3 years Subaru warrenty?, alarm, etc etc?
no alarm,no trackstar,extra for metallic adds another £1000+.Then its still looked at as an import and resale value will be lower than a UK car due to the second hand buyer wanting the UK car.I got my MY06 2.5 WR Blue ex demo for 23k with 300miles on the clock(UK Model)Subaru Dealer.The biggest savings are on the WRX(imports) percentage wise because they are discounted the same as the STI(import) 3 to 4k and add ons extra.
P.S when i asked for the insurance changing with Direct line they only offered the Spec D(discreet) or UK STI as options so I would think a import would cost more to insure as well
powerman
Old 19 May 2006, 09:28 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Alliance has WRX's for £16,000 a cat 1 alarm/immobiliser & trackstar may cost another £800 - 1000

Thats still a £4000 saving, spoke to insurance company, they treat it as a uk car so no extra premium even if it is worth a bit less three years down the line it aint going to be £4000 less.

UK STI £27,000 or thereabouts, Import £21,995 and thats mica blue and has side airbags, UK spec basically

My thoughts bearing in mind the above is that I could get an euro import STI for the price of a UK WRX

Seems like a win win situation to me!
Old 20 May 2006, 07:56 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
no alarm,no trackstar,extra for metallic adds another £1000+.Then its still looked at as an import and resale value will be lower than a UK car due to the second hand buyer wanting the UK car.I got my MY06 2.5 WR Blue ex demo for 23k with 300miles on the clock(UK Model)Subaru Dealer.The biggest savings are on the WRX(imports) percentage wise because they are discounted the same as the STI(import) 3 to 4k and add ons extra.
P.S when i asked for the insurance changing with Direct line they only offered the Spec D(discreet) or UK STI as options so I would think a import would cost more to insure as well
powerman
No alarm - yes but you can get a better one fitted than subaru fit to every car they sell in the uk

Alliance dont charge xtra for mettallic

No trackstar - get one fitted if you really want your car back once its been thrashed by some Twocker

Resale value lower - sorry thats bollox especially if you keep it 3 yrs as both cars will have no warranty at that point

Yes the % savings are higher on the wrx than sti

Insurance - no problems with Norwich Union or Keith Michaels - car is uk spec so same price
Old 20 May 2006, 09:35 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
No alarm - yes but you can get a better one fitted than subaru fit to every car they sell in the uk

Alliance dont charge xtra for mettallic

No trackstar - get one fitted if you really want your car back once its been thrashed by some Twocker

Resale value lower - sorry thats bollox especially if you keep it 3 yrs as both cars will have no warranty at that point

Yes the % savings are higher on the wrx than sti

Insurance - no problems with Norwich Union or Keith Michaels - car is uk spec so same price
Resale value..eg take an Subaru to any dealer and the question will be is it a UK car ..why? lower trade in price eg two identical cars side by side one an import the other not at the same price which will sell first? hence demand commands the higher price.
The point I was trying to get across was that if you try hard enough you can get a bl00dy good deal from the UK Subaru dealers albeit not as cheap as import,but not a million miles away.. believe me I have tried it
Old 20 May 2006, 10:07 AM
browno
Scooby Newbie

I'm currently looking at a new MY06 WRX - motorpoint can do me one for £14999 (or £15999 for a 5dr) - local dealer could get down to £20,000 dead on a UK 5dr. I know there may be benefits to buying a UK car - but I'm not sure they're worth £3.5-4K extra...
Frankly, I am amazed that IM are keeping up their attitude to imports - I've had several cars from supermarkets, and the dealers for them have been fine with them - at the end of the day, they're still getting servicing and warranty work through their franchises...
As for resale - there may be a small difference for an import - but certainly nowhere near the amount you saved in the first place, unless you try to trade it into a subaru dealer of course...
Old 20 May 2006, 10:34 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by browno
I'm currently looking at a new MY06 WRX - motorpoint can do me one for £14999 (or £15999 for a 5dr) - local dealer could get down to £20,000 dead on a UK 5dr. I know there may be benefits to buying a UK car - but I'm not sure they're worth £3.5-4K extra...
Frankly, I am amazed that IM are keeping up their attitude to imports - I've had several cars from supermarkets, and the dealers for them have been fine with them - at the end of the day, they're still getting servicing and warranty work through their franchises...
As for resale - there may be a small difference for an import - but certainly nowhere near the amount you saved in the first place, unless you try to trade it into a subaru dealer of course...
plus alarm,tracker,and metalic paint...£1000 to add.The standard WRX is the best deal on the imports because you will save 3k on the uk price and there is no difference in the badges and the uk model doesnt have a tracker as standard anyway.The STi is different due to standard spec and Minor differences Badges etc
Try www.subaru.co.uk and look for ex demos
powerman
Old 20 May 2006, 11:46 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

I've never been a fan of buying dealers ex-demo cars. Relatively little saving for a car that's been thrashed by everyone who's driven it from 0 miles without being run in properly.

When my car went in to the Subaru dealer in Kendal they asked me how much I paid for it. I must admit I was expecting them to tell me they would have sold me a UK car for not much more. They couldn't get within £4K and I suspect if I was an actual buyer they woudn't have gone that low. In 3 years time I doubt they'll be that much difference in price even if I'm daft enough to trade it in at a Subaru dealer.

Each to his/her own but I'm happy with my import and I'll spend the money saved elsewhere, but it does surprise me how snobby some people can be when we are talking about cars all made in the same factory in Japan and imported.
Old 20 May 2006, 07:34 PM
browno
Scooby Newbie

As above really - a mate of mine used to work at the local dealer, so they're trying their best to do me a deal, but the saving is so big on an import (even with alarm and tracker it's over £3k difference) - I would honestly prefer a UK car, but really cannot justify throwing somewhere up to £3K (accepting any difference in resale) away to say I bought a UK car... Add to that the fact that with something like an impreza (which get driven hard) I'd want to be first owner and know it's full history - so wouldn't really want an ex-demo... especially when I was being heavily egged on by the salesman to give the demo I drove some stick - it had just 45 miles on the clock!
I can understand the (very sensible) arguments for buying a UK car, but just can't justify it now...
Probably a little contraversial in my first few posts, but hey - it's a forum for discussion!

Last edited by browno; 20 May 2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 21 May 2006, 11:35 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=428638 this gives a general feeling as to the thoughts on imports and their general resalability.
Old 21 May 2006, 05:12 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Resale value..eg take an Subaru to any dealer and the question will be is it a UK car ..why? lower trade in price eg two identical cars side by side one an import the other not at the same price which will sell first? hence demand commands the higher price.
The point I was trying to get across was that if you try hard enough you can get a bl00dy good deal from the UK Subaru dealers albeit not as cheap as import,but not a million miles away.. believe me I have tried it
You may be right but if you dont sell to a subaru dealer, I can assure you there will be little or no difference.

I am all in favour of people getting a good deal at a main dealer on a uk car especially if they are happy with a thrashed ex demo if they feel more comfortable buying from a dealer but I wouldnt put anyone off buying an import either.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=428638 this gives a general feeling as to the thoughts on imports and their general resalability.
Ohh yes we all need PS Lewis's opinion on the matter ... Not !!
Old 21 May 2006, 05:14 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badgersport
Each to his/her own but I'm happy with my import and I'll spend the money saved elsewhere, but it does surprise me how snobby some people can be when we are talking about cars all made in the same factory in Japan and imported.
Exactly