ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Dilemma - Will someone make a decision for me

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2006, 11:16 AM
harvey one
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dilemma - Will someone make a decision for me

My predicament - I currently have an MY05 STi Type UK PPP but I want to do track days, time attack events, etc and don't know whether to invest £5K or £6k on engine, suspension etc on my car or buy a P1 which has been upgraded already and is ready to go, which will cost £13K+ (obviously selling the STi)?

I don't know which way to go as it seems a shame to modify my STi which will also void the warranty as its only 7 months old and more expensive to repair should a come a cropper, but on the other hand the P1 is a much older car but less costly to fix if necessary.

If I'm honest the main issue is the age thing?

Your advice please.
Old 04 June 2006, 11:28 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

If you are gonna invest 5-6k why dont you have 2 cars i.e. a nice STi for fast road and get a Clio 172 which can be had for 4k now or a 106gti strip it out uprat the breakes and suspension and bingo a nice quick track car that you can just take to a track and throw about.

i woudl not track on a regular basis a P1 or your STi (unless your loaded) as track work puts loads of stress on your car. now and again then fine but if it were me i'd buy a little pocket rocket and go and have some fun
Old 04 June 2006, 11:40 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There is no point in improving the performance of the engine if the suspension and brakes are not up to the job. IMO the order of work should be brakes, suspension then engine work.
Old 04 June 2006, 12:45 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Shaun - it's a difficult choice to make. As you know I was at Castle Combe on Wednesday, and my RA was blisteringly quick - could really feel the lightweight/ high-power car working well on the track. But there was a T20 and an STI7 PPP which were both very quick too - surprised me really.

You could certainly enhance your car and get it to the level you want - whilst retaining a nice car to drive on the roads I would go for a set of ASTs, sports cat and remap which should see you at 350bhp level. I think well within your budget.

You need to drive a P1/RA to see if you like the feel of the older car (as they are a big step backwards internally).

Good luck hunting/ soul searching - as I say, you need to try a few things out. Litcho has some T25's for sale too - one hell of a car - maybe worth a look
Old 04 June 2006, 03:59 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by The Chief
If you are gonna invest 5-6k why dont you have 2 cars i.e. a nice STi for fast road and get a Clio 172 which can be had for 4k now or a 106gti..........have some fun
I'd agree

Originally Posted by terryb
. But there was a T20 and an STI7 PPP which were both very quick too - surprised me really.
Terry,
I was comparing times between my old STi7PPP to my MY99 Type R and now My new T20 at Castle Combe. I expected the lighter Type R be to FAR quicker than my Lardy newage cars but not the case Nothing much in it with the Bugeye but the T20 was much quicker.

Tony

Shame i missed Wednesday sounded fun I wanted to try out different suspension setting to understand the reasoning/ Car reaction from the 9 settings
Old 04 June 2006, 04:04 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

some would also say that you dont necessarily need to spend megabucks on a car to still be competitive. The newage cars benefit from a stiffer chassis as standard. 60% stiffer IIRC than the latest classic shape, thats got to help the handling cause.

Also you would be surprised at what a near standard car is capable of on track anyway in the right hands.

Suspension i would say if far more important than engine power though.....a well sorted honda is more than a match for a scoob around a track if driven right....and they are well down on power.
Old 05 June 2006, 09:36 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Terry,
I was comparing times between my old STi7PPP to my MY99 Type R and now My new T20 at Castle Combe. I expected the lighter Type R be to FAR quicker than my Lardy newage cars but not the case Nothing much in it with the Bugeye but the T20 was much quicker.

Tony

Hi Tony

How much quicker do you think the T20 is then mate? The car at Combe on Wednesday totally flattered the driver. No disrespect to him, but he hasn't a lot of experience on track yet. He did say that the suspension was great - if he overcooked it into a bend for example, then it just seemed to sort itself out.

He was quick - but not that quick But then I am running nearly 370bhp in a car probably 150kg if not 200kg lighter

Plus this time at Combe - it reallty gelled together - much better than my last experience there
Old 05 June 2006, 05:24 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Hi Tony

How much quicker do you think the T20 is then mate?

Plus this time at Combe - it reallty gelled together - much better than my last experience there
Terry,
I was comparing me driving all Three and the T20 and the tyrpe R was 280 and fairly STD. The T20 was about 8-10 sec (TBC) a lap faster and was 4 weeks old and 1st track time . Perhaps more me happier with the abilities of the newage.

Hi Tony

He was quick - but not that quick But then I am running nearly 370bhp in a car probably 150kg if not 200kg lighter
With that PTW should be

Tony