ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I.A.M.

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2006, 10:58 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I.A.M.

Just been out with a long time family friend tonight who is an instructor for the IAM. Had a nice drive around towards Altrincham, taking in a good range of town and country road, then back on the motorway. He is very thourough in his appraisal, and at the end of the evening suggested I'd have no trouble passing the test, with some work on my steering/braking/stopping.
I don't pull enough on the wheel, I use the engine too much for braking, and my stopping routine needs work. Apart from that, not as bad as I remembered it from my first go years ago.

Anyone else had a go?

I'm going for the full on course now after tonights session, not much point having a 350bhp car if I can't control it and drive safely.
Old 09 June 2006, 12:55 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
Just been out with a long time family friend tonight who is an instructor for the IAM. Had a nice drive around towards Altrincham, taking in a good range of town and country road, then back on the motorway. He is very thourough in his appraisal, and at the end of the evening suggested I'd have no trouble passing the test, with some work on my steering/braking/stopping.
I don't pull enough on the wheel, I use the engine too much for braking, and my stopping routine needs work. Apart from that, not as bad as I remembered it from my first go years ago.

Anyone else had a go?

I'm going for the full on course now after tonights session, not much point having a 350bhp car if I can't control it and drive safely.
Yes, do it, but the IAM has, for me, gone a bit too PC these days.
Take from it the importance of anticipation and observation, the road positioning on public roads and having to think for others on the roads.
It won't show you how to really control a high powered car at the limit because the point of it is to never be in a situation where you are not in control and certainly never on any limit. It will make you a better and probably, smoother driver on public roads.
You need skid pan and off public roads instruction to truly find the capabilities of your car and it's and your limits.
Old 09 June 2006, 01:08 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Yes, do it, but the IAM has, for me, gone a bit too PC these days.
Take from it the importance of anticipation and observation, the road positioning on public roads and having to think for others on the roads.
It won't show you how to really control a high powered car at the limit because the point of it is to never be in a situation where you are not in control and certainly never on any limit. It will make you a better and probably, smoother driver on public roads.
You need skid pan and off public roads instruction to truly find the capabilities of your car and it's and your limits.
If the IAM have gone PC, then who are we to GAF?
Old 09 June 2006, 01:28 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
If the IAM have gone PC, then who are we to GAF?
Maybe you're right.
It's just that I think the IAM used to be for cars and driving, responsibly of course, and consequently was an organisation that spoke for the motorist in it's dealings with Government.
Now I'm not so sure.
Old 09 June 2006, 06:45 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

vegescooby, totally agree with you about what to get from this course. Anticipation, judging for others, positioning are all things that I practise anyway, but much more considered under the IAM. I've been practising my smooth driving, doing as little as possible, for the most benefit, since going out with a Police drive last year.
Old 09 June 2006, 07:57 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

cw42, I did the 12 week course and passed the exam some 3 years ago. I think it's a great thing to do. Driving to the "system" does seem a little pc at times but it also gives you a lot for hazard perception etc. If you do drive fast (which I sure most of us do on occasion) it's good to be looking way ahead as well what's under your nose. It has helped me no end.
It helps with defensive driving also (like not getting your car dinged) and it helps with the insurance.
Once you get your head round it (like you do it second nature) you can see and read road "problems" way before they happen and makes you a safer driver.
Do it!
Old 09 June 2006, 08:24 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

I did my Cat C 2 years ago and my Cat C+E in Feb this year, and I found that made me a much better driver. You have to far more aware of others driving a 40 ton truck and like Vege says, you only get what you take from it.
I took a great awareness of others and a better understanding of their intentions, and other little things like signalling and road positioning, both of which are so much more important in a truck. I am also nowhere near as impatient now, as it has been ME in a truck on a back road holding up that big line of traffic.
Having said that, I still won't let taxi's out of junctions, I don't believe they drive well enough as 'vocational' drivers.

Dan.
Old 09 June 2006, 08:55 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Do your bike test, that'll make you far more aware and you get something useful out of it in the end.
Old 09 June 2006, 11:09 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll let you know how I get on.
Agree with the taxi comment dan, some of the worse drivers on the road today
Not sure about doing a bike test rb5, I'm never going to go on one
Old 09 June 2006, 11:14 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I of course need no such training, what with me being a far Superior driver than all of you.

Really wouldn't mind taking the full driver training course the police take.

Is the I.A.M. that same course ??
Old 09 June 2006, 11:19 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
I of course need no such training, what with me being a far Superior driver than all of you.

Really wouldn't mind taking the full driver training course the police take.

Is the I.A.M. that same course ??
My instructor was saying how he'd been invited to do the full police training, but he was already way beyond that with the IAM stuff he'd done. I think IAM is the first step, and would go hand in hand with police training. You can do worse than getting in touch with Pauleds2 off here, and going out with him, excellent instruction from a serving traffic officer
Old 09 June 2006, 11:34 AM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Not all Police take the IAM course, it's only the traffic. Yes it's the same, but some traffic police then do the high speed one which we can't.
Old 09 June 2006, 01:21 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Iam of course lost!! What the hell is the IAM??
Old 09 June 2006, 02:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Institute of Advanced Motorists
Old 09 June 2006, 03:12 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I AM THE INSTITUTE!!! Or is that institutionalised?? Ermmm...
Old 16 August 2006, 11:07 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Finally, after paying me money and officially registering, I'm now a fully fledged member of the IAM.
So, went out last night for my first official drive. Same family friend instructor as before. Practised the system of car control, which takes some getting used to. Essentially this:
Say you're driving along at 30 (in a 30, obviously) and you want to turn left.
1/ Reduce speed by foot off accelerator and cover the brake
2/ brake
3/ foot off brake and change gear to match speed
4/ cover accelerator
5/ turn the corner, feeding the wheel around the corner, then feeding wheel back as you straighten
6/ accelerate
7/ change gear (block changing is allowed, as is no indication if it's not warning others)

It's going to take a while to get use to that method, but the car becomes much smoother around obstacles when doing it that way. Tried practising it on the way to work this morning, but totally fluffed it!
Back out again sunday morning, with a different instructor, so will be interesting to see if the family friend is being kind, or if I can really pass this test after only 4 drives!
Keep you posted.
Old 16 August 2006, 02:02 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Why are instructors so against engine braking? I always gently press the brake whilst changing down gears letting the engine do the work. That way you are always in the correct gear. On my driving lessons I was told to stop at the roundabout and block change down to 1st, but then you had to stop at every obstacle whether someone was coming or not. Just wondered why driving instructors and the like always advise against using the gears to slow down?

Steve
Old 16 August 2006, 04:23 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Several reasons, but the current rule is "gears to go and brakes to slow".

Big reason is to prevent the driven wheels locking if there is a loss of traction during a down change. Another big reason is its much safer for a car following you as your brake lights will be on a lot longer and they will see this and adjust their speed accordingly. Other reasons are environmental, such as reduces emissions and also causes less wear on the mechanicals of the vehicle, also keeps your hands on the wheel for a longer time.

Re the comment about the police driving test vs IAM test. There are now several grades of Police driving test – all forces call them different things but basically you have your standard response test which takes 3 weeks training, this is based on a lot of road craft and is similar to the training the IAM do but more high speed stuff, upto 130mph and upto 30mph over non NSL roads. Other grades are for traffic and motorways and such like. The one to have is "Advanced ALL" (could be called other things in other areas) which means you have done all the tests and can drive / ride anything in any situation.
Old 16 August 2006, 04:33 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

^^ what he said Thanks for that comprehensive reply Billythekid
Old 16 August 2006, 08:09 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

cw42
Have you been practicing talking your observations whilst out driving?
Not necessary now but good practice and gives the examiner a better insight to what you are observing.
In days of old it was compulsory but there were those at a disadvantage when it came to narrating their journey, especially if they had a stutter..

Two hour driving test is good fun. I enjoyed it. (first time in my life to enjoy sitting an exam...)
Old 16 August 2006, 08:19 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

I took my IAM test 20 years ago now.
The test lasted for 1.5 hours in which I did 70 miles and the examiner was a serving Class 1 Police driver. At that time you still had to do the running commentary, but I'm not certain is this applies these days.

You might like to read "Roadcraft", available at most good bookshops.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft
Old 16 August 2006, 08:28 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Distance is still much the same Robocop though running commentary isn't necessary.
I found keeping a running commentary kept you focussed on the driving in hand, but it took a few attempts to get rid of initial nerves in trying to do it though!
Old 16 August 2006, 08:38 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

My instructer used to ask me to name the last 3 road signs we passed to check my observation.
Old 17 August 2006, 05:24 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

AlanG, yes I am, although I do need to practice that side of it more.
I've got roadcraft, and am up to my second read now
Thanks guys
Old 20 August 2006, 11:42 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Went for my 2nd official drive today. Andy took me out, and once again he's a very experienced and well practised driver.
The route was town into country lanes into motorway, but once we realised the M6 was chokka, we turned back the way we'd come
Still gave us plenty of time for a good run though.
I set off from the meet at stockport after doing my cockpit check, it's a little archaic, but does get you in the frame of mind for driving, which is no bad thing. After that, an easy route through the town and onto open roads. The day was damp and intermittent rain, so took it easy. One thing I was told about today above all else was my speed. I kept creeping over 30, although I was ok in the 40's and 50's. I'll have to work on this, but as you know, it's difficult to keep to 30 on the speedo when you can see everyone around you exceeding it.
On dual carriageways around Wilmslow, Andy was more than happy for me to be gunning it along at 70, which was nice. Encouraging me to pick quick and safe lines through the many roundabouts on that stretch of a34 too!
Halfway round I actually unplugged my gps camera detector, as I didn't need it for the run!
We hit the motorway outside of Holmes Chapel, and it was busy as soon as we got on. Too busy to do any real evaluation of driving with proper lane dicipline, and no-one else was showing any anyway! So off at Knutsford, and back the way we came. Still, a good chance to have another go at the country roads
Eventually back into Stockport and parked up for the written evaluation. All good I'm afraid

Bear in mind this is only my 2nd drive out with the I.A.M, so here are the scores on the doors:

acceleration: progressive 5
braking: well applied 4
clutch control: efficient 5
gear changing: efficient 5
gears-use of: always correct 5
steering: good technique 5
drive/ride position: alert 5
PLANNING
observation: well forward 5
hazard management: well planned 4
speed limits: exceeded (my only major fault ) 3
reaction to signs: (not marked)
positioning: to advantage 5
lane disipline: generally good 4
anticipation: very sharp 5
acceleration sense: well used 5
overtaking: safe/positive 5
maintaining flow: constant 5
making progress: maintained 5
ROADCRAFT
courtesy: most courteous 5
smoothness: generally smooth 4
road surfaces: noted and acted upon 5
use of mirrors: well used 5
use of signals: over used at times 4
aptitude: good ability 5
restraint: generally shown 4
vehicle sympathy: evident 4
reverse/slow ride: (not tested)
commentary: (not tested)

5 is the best, 4 is excellent, down to 1 which is "what the hell are you doing in a car!"

A great run out, and a recommendation that I take the full test after only 1 more run, and an invite that I then do the observers course!

Cant wait
Old 20 August 2006, 11:59 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

well done Chris
Old 21 August 2006, 09:52 AM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

I see it's all I.A.M. on here !!

It's well known that the highest civilian driving qualification you can achieve in this Country is the RoSPA "Gold" award.

To be honest, there's not much difference, but do you want to be the "best" ??

One thing I found when I did them both is they do not like you overlapping your gearchanges. For me that's an old farts style of driving !!

The system is based on Police "Roadcraft". If that is the case when pusuing car thieves, do Britain's finest slow down on the brakes then when they've lost enough speed, come off the brakes and change into the appropriate gear, then eventually go onto the accelerator - MY **** !!

They wouldn't catch a cold !!

What they do is brake hard, and "block change" during the brake into the correct gear, so they can get onto the accelerator quickly enough to get going again. What's wrong with engine braking ??

I bet that's what most drivers do.

If the I.A.M. and RoSPA want to attract a younger audience, like Scoobynetter's for example, they really do need to lose this "old fart" image.
Old 21 August 2006, 10:37 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

It's all about car sympathy and roadholding Graeme. Yes, traditionally you'd arrive at the hazard braking and changing gears at the same time. With the iam and roadcraft, everything is done in a systematic manner.
INFORMATION (overlaps other phases)
POSITION
SPEED
GEAR

ACCELERATION.

nothing wrong with the system, and it was refreshing yesterday to hear much of what you advocate from my instructor, ie, realistic driving. A number of times I'd come to a hazard and change down a gear as I was braking, but he said this was ok, and marked me up for being in the correct gears for the speed and road conditions.
My car did throw him a little though, because with 349 lbft, I don't need to change gear very often, and corners he'd take in 2nd or 3rd in his mondeo, I'd take in 5th at 60, and still have plenty in reserve

It was nice to see a good cross section of people at the start as well, from your boy racer types with skinheads and drug dealer cars to old (very old!) people in austin allegros
Old 03 September 2006, 03:09 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

3rd run today, and possibly my last before my test. Roads once again were very busy, can't you people stay at home on sundays!
Conditions damp, clear skys for most of the run. Went over all what has been done so far, different observer again, with similar views to Andy on my last run, ie: make progress, as long as it's safe. Had a bit of hesitation on an overtake in an nsl, but other than that, I had a good run out. Richard thinks I can have another run if I need to, but doesn't think it's essential. Would like me to attend a "meet the examiner" evening event though, just to get a feel for what the examiners are looking for. May just do that

All in all, it's not been as bad as I thought it would be. I've enjoyed the drives out, and do genuinely observe much of what I've picked up on the course in my everyday driving.

Well worth doing IMO
Old 03 September 2006, 03:23 PM
AllyJ
Scooby Regular

I did mine about 18 years ago, about 3 weeks after I passed my normal driving test actually. Commentary was very funny, 'I can see a guy cutting his grass close to the curb, so im wearing of flying stones covering my brake' etc hahaha my examiner told me my commentary was a bit toooo much passed fine and was the youngest in essex that year to pass it at 17yrs 5months at that point! funny thing my examiner at the end said to me his next test the following week round chelmsford was a guy in his ferrari, sounds a good job oh my observation test was what was the colour of the last car in rear view mirror and what was the last road sign you went past eek.

let's just say taking this test made an impact straight away with the emphasis placed on observation and road awareness, I was at a mini roundabout, looked right nearly went then looked left as my test taught to me, to just avoid a car whose brakes failed mounted the roundabout and ended up in a hedge behind me! so saved me a rather nasty incident. The IAM helped give me 20yrs of driving experience in 3 weeks..well not quite of course but certainly as a noob 17yr old I wouldnt have deliberatly looked left before I pulled out onto a roundabout.