ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

'fresh imports' from dealers who advertise in autotrader etc

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2006, 11:03 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'fresh imports' from dealers who advertise in autotrader etc

is this as good an option as it sounds ??
one in particular is http://www.jcimports.co.uk/ they say "All our vehicles are purchased direct from Japan. All come with Japanese Service History, Full Copy Documentation, Warranted Miles and the original Auction Report from Japan.", "FREE SERVICE (CAMBELT) & UNDERSEAL (WAXOIL) "

seems like a good way to buy an older impreza....

have read that there are places that buy from uk docks, and the cars are basically ****, would these be advertised like the above though ?

also, dealers offer some kind of warranty, probably wouldn't cover it if it blew up but I suppose it's something...
Old 10 June 2006, 12:04 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by twintracks
one in particular is http://www.jcimports.co.uk/ they say "All our vehicles are purchased direct from Japan. All come with Japanese Service History, Full Copy Documentation, Warranted Miles and the original Auction Report from Japan.", "FREE SERVICE (CAMBELT) & UNDERSEAL (WAXOIL) "

have read that there are places that buy from uk docks, and the cars are basically ****, would these be advertised like the above though ?

also, dealers offer some kind of warranty, probably wouldn't cover it if it blew up but I suppose it's something...
Click here and have a search through the Pajero forum. I think you will only find good reports about jcimports.

HTH

Mick
Old 10 June 2006, 01:03 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id like to know where their service histories come from though, seeing as hardly any cars going through JDM auctions include the books and those that do are seldom filled in.....
Old 10 June 2006, 03:24 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

what could I ask him about that ?
might go have a look at it Monday, it's 150 miles away though
phoned him and he said the only thing wrong with it is the ashtray has went a funny colour hmmm
Old 10 June 2006, 08:24 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

There are two rules with imports.

Never trust a dealer.

And

Never trust a dealer.

Steve
Old 10 June 2006, 09:36 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

but how much ?
I mean a 'fresh import' is more likely to have had a better life than one taht's been here for a while, right ?
or is there just as much chance it's been abused before it came over
most RAs I've seen advertised are from dealers funnily enough
Old 10 June 2006, 10:33 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

the thing with japan they are hot on there Services as they have to be once they get so old they have to buy a new car which is why we get them
Old 10 June 2006, 11:28 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

ohhh, so you're not allowed to dirve cars over a certain age there ?
or it costs them too much after the warranty is up or something ?
Old 11 June 2006, 09:51 AM
S7EVY
Scooby Regular

There is a lot of trash traders out there selling cars that have been seriously neglected by the japs, you really want to take someone with you who knows what to look out for.

I've had my scoob a few months now & had it checked over at the time by a friend in the trade & have had no problems to date.

I'd recommend Jap Performance UK based in Bradford, thats where i purchased mine from, their website: www.japperformanceuk.co.uk

another reputable company www.d-c-y.co.uk these guys also have a few scoobies in stock.

Hope this helps
Old 11 June 2006, 12:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by twintracks

I hadnt fully read your original post when I first answered..... With regard to the auction report, assuming that the documents are authentic then you can be fairly sure that these arent docks-auction cars. Id still ask how come they have full service histories though; because service records in japan are computerised and the books arent used.....

Simon
Old 12 June 2006, 11:08 PM
fulla
Scooby Regular

i have imported from japan,bought at auctions and got the history,in fact the auction sheet will tell you if it has history or not
Old 12 June 2006, 11:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It's possible; Ive not ever come across books though (dont misunderstand me here; Ive seen scores of cars listed with books I just havent ever bought one myself -thats scores out of thousands of cars mind you...); let alone a completed service book. The appraisal sheet may well mention this; although I believe that it actually only notes whether 'books' are included; I cant be sure though as I dont speak Japanese. 'Books' are noted on my auction listings though; on the rare occasions where they are present.

Simon
Old 13 June 2006, 08:37 PM
fulla
Scooby Regular

must admit i have been lucky to get the history as i know this is rare,when it has been with the car it has been fully completed and up to date,with the last one i bought i even got reciepts and manuals for everything for the car including all extras fitted along with original parts in the boot! now that is extremely rare!! i have heard of some shipping companies that will not allow this no more!
Old 14 June 2006, 06:01 AM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

my first impreza was a 94 wagon WRX, it came with service history, manuals (even the radio manual).

I have now bought an STi v3 from JCimports, the guy is fair enough, he has an excellent reputacion in the Pajero club and I can see why, Pajeros are his main business;

When I bought the car (last week), it came with full service history, even showing the potenza tyres that had been fitted back in 2002 and has 6mm of thread left;auction sheet (mine was grade 4 with interior C), John wax oiled it and changed the cam belt and gave me a 3 month warranty (which I haven't used yet) but from what people says in the pajero club he is a man that keeps his word when it comes to honouring the warranty.

will post a pixie here when I get my digital camera.

Koji Kabuto
Old 14 June 2006, 08:30 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They better be good at that price!

http://www.jcimports.co.uk/SportsDetail.cfm?recordID=71

Holy **** on a bicycle!
Old 14 June 2006, 10:17 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Doesn't seem that expensive to me from a dealer if its as fresh close up as it looks on the pic and the mileage tallies with condition...
Old 14 June 2006, 10:41 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

£5.5k fair for a 48k 11 year old car?

Would love to see you argue the toss with an insurance company if they have to pay out..
Old 14 June 2006, 11:05 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well put it this way,
I paid £2200 to japan for my 1993 WRX back in the summer of 2004, and it was an absolute minter:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=384797

Fujitsubo exhaust, full body kit, window tints and a decent radio and guages.

Even once you have paid the shipping and tax on top of that your winning, and the choice of cars available out there is far above anything you will see at a dealer over here.
Its a risk but if you make sure the car is graded well on the auction sheet, it has low km's and looks in good condition from the pics then you'll be unlucky to get a dog.
My family have now imported 7 cars for personal use, 2 of them were dogs (an FTO and GTO) but both had high miles (>100,000 kms) and were low auciton grades.
just be aware that if its less than 10 years old it will need an SVA and you will have to make sure you can get this done before you even think about buying it. Over 10 years old and you just need an MOT.
Old 14 June 2006, 11:19 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Ours was an Import, the prevoius owner imported it the begining of last year, it took until late July 2005 to get here, he used it for less than a year and ruined it, shame really lol.
Old 14 June 2006, 12:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I hate the term 'fresh import'.