ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Z4 ECU and Engine Check Light

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2006, 09:29 AM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z4 ECU and Engine Check Light

Just put a Z4 ECU in me car, did have a chip in which i removed and reconnected J1. But the engine check lights on now. Any ideas why, does this mean its damaged?

All i have done so far is started it, havent driven it yet. Does it need to run for x miles for it to sort itself out?

Last edited by Sizer; 10 June 2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10 June 2006, 10:22 AM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sizer
Just put a Z4 ECU in me car, did have a chip in which i removed and reconnected J1. But the engine check lights on now. Any ideas why, does this mean its damaged?

All i have done so far is started it, havent driven it yet. Does it need to run for x miles for it to sort itself out?
Just done acheck and have a code 45. Didnt have that before i swapped them over??
Old 10 June 2006, 10:33 AM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

are you puting a jap z4 on a uk car or a uk z4 on a jap car as i had to put a uk ecu on my car for a while while mine was away and it put my cel on it didnt like the fuel return thing and got 130 miles from full tank :s
Old 10 June 2006, 10:36 AM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gotmashed
are you puting a jap z4 on a uk car or a uk z4 on a jap car as i had to put a uk ecu on my car for a while while mine was away and it put my cel on it didnt like the fuel return thing and got 130 miles from full tank :s
Na, Z4 on ajap car but i now have a suspicious loose black wire with a flat end. Can anyone identify th elittle black box in the photo and the loose black wire. I reckon its meant to be connected to something and may be causing the error :

Old 10 June 2006, 11:01 AM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

Finished panicing now...lol

The black wire was an earth wire, so popped that on and no more check light. Im assuming the black box is a delimiter.

Must say it feels much stronger with the z4
Old 10 June 2006, 01:05 PM
uk.steve
Scooby Regular

where r the 2 black connectors on MY03 to check my CEL?? ive looked around the steering colum and can only find 2 green and 1 white and 1 black connectors.?????

steve
Old 10 June 2006, 08:27 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code 45 is the map sensor so I expect that little black box is a fuel cut defender wired in to the map sensor on the ECU.

If that orange wire goes into the 4th connection from the right, and the blue wire goes to the same colour wire that 'was' in that position. Then that's the map sensor input bypassed.

Therefore you should assume that someone has been running close to or above the standard fuel cut limit of 1 bar (approx).
Old 10 June 2006, 08:31 PM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Code 45 is the map sensor so I expect that little black box is a fuel cut defender wired in to the map sensor on the ECU.

If that orange wire goes into the 4th connection from the right, and the blue wire goes to the same colour wire that 'was' in that position. Then that's the map sensor input bypassed.

Therefore you should assume that someone has been running close to or above the standard fuel cut limit of 1 bar (approx).
OK sounds about right wiring wise, worked ok when i earthed it. Now what does the above actually mean..lol. Why run close to or above the limit, what effect does that have on the engine??
Old 10 June 2006, 09:01 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use an electronic boost controller or a mechanical boost controller (Dawes Valve or Bleed Valve) to increase the boost.

The ECU has a fuel-cut/overboost limit which is set to around 1 bar in the early ECU.

If you increase the boost by the method above you will be getting close to or over the standard fuel cut limit. Therefore the little black box you have is fitted to fool the ECU so that this higher level of boost can be run.

This increases the performance but doesn't adjust the fuelling or timing, so can be quite risky.
Old 10 June 2006, 10:51 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk.steve
where r the 2 black connectors on MY03 to check my CEL?? ive looked around the steering colum and can only find 2 green and 1 white and 1 black connectors.?????

steve
you havent got any them you have to plug a laptop type thing i belive
Old 16 June 2006, 01:46 PM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

I have a chip thats meant to boost upto 1.1 bar but the car only goes upto one. Im assuming this black gizmo maybe stopping it or a manual boost controller??

Can i just chop the wires to the black gizmo off and tape them up?
Whats a MBC look like so i can see if the car has one?
Old 16 June 2006, 03:41 PM
Sizer
Scooby Regular

All sorted now, removed offending gizmo, now boosts to 1.15 bar and im happy about that...lol....