ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hose pipe ban rant

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2006, 03:03 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hose pipe ban rant

Thames Water's hose pipe ban is really getting on my t*ts now!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the environment and the problems we face in society (as a household we do our bit - being careful with water (and we're metered), recycle glass, tin, paper and card) but the existing TW hose pipe ban is flawed in my opinion.

The garden I'm not fussed about. All I want to do is wash my car (and the wife's) with a minimum of fuss -- and water! I've always used a hose pipe to soften dirt at the beginning and then rinse the cars down. A hose (with adjustable nozzle) is great because you can focus the water where you want it and use only as much as you need to. I for one don't like to turn my driveway into a swimming pool.

But no. I now have to use buckets of water to do the same thing -- using a sponge to save me tossing the entire bucket over the car, but I still end up using more water than I want to because I can't control it properly.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I popped into B&Q today to buy a new lawnmower. I spotted their pressure washer section which had little adverts advising that you can still legally use pressure washers during hose pipe bans (because they typically use 40% less water, yadda yadda). I pick up a cheapy JUST so I can use a nozzle spray again... but when I get it home and check with Thames Water... nope, it's still not allowed because of its intended use (i.e. private car washing).

So here I am... forced to use more water than I need to/want to (buckets) so I can stay legal, a victim of advertising (B&Q) although the pressure washer may still come in handy, and required to sit back and accept TW's leaky infrastructure, the fact a neighbour can fill up their swimming pool (!), and that I could jet wash my pathway legally because it was dusty or had a muddy foot print on it.

Rant over. Feel better already.

Jonts.
Old 11 June 2006, 03:10 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

set up a car valeting company.hey presto.you can clean your car,and others,if you bother to advertise it............you know what i mean.
Old 11 June 2006, 03:13 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I was wondering if you have those presher wasters - Kartcher and the likes, can you still use them if you hook them up to a(several) water butts? does this get round a hose pipe ban?
Old 11 June 2006, 03:42 PM
ScoobyBird!
Scooby Regular

You wana move areas where there aint a hose pipe ban ie stoke on trent... mine will get a wash later...

Aint a jet wash near you?? some aint that bad...
Old 11 June 2006, 04:44 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonesting
set up a car valeting company.hey presto.you can clean your car,and others,if you bother to advertise it............you know what i mean.
ive got a valeting business in the leics area ( ban not in force yet ) however am i still aloud to do valeting if we get a water ban does anyone know this
Old 11 June 2006, 05:42 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Mad isn't it, you can wash your drive but not your car....lol.
Old 11 June 2006, 05:49 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty

But no. I now have to use buckets of water to do the same thing -- using a sponge to save me tossing the entire bucket over the car, but I still end up using more water than I want to because I can't control it properly.

oh, to be able to wash the car with a bucket!......I live near Gatwick and we've now got a drought order, so illegal to wash your car even with only a bucket!!!!!!
Old 11 June 2006, 05:51 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

go down the nearest river, and have a drive tru
Old 11 June 2006, 06:09 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I think we are all going to have to accept that water is a precious commodity and that you have to conserve it.

I've lived in Oz, if you think it's bad over here, you ought to go over there.
Old 11 June 2006, 06:11 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my cossy
ive got a valeting business in the leics area ( ban not in force yet ) however am i still aloud to do valeting if we get a water ban does anyone know this
its a good point mate,i would imagine that a ban would be brought in early enough in order allow various businessess that require water for the day to day running of a business to operate within certain parameters,end of the day the supply is there for our use,business or home.the reason they put a ban on may be in order to keep things rolling.end of the day if you cant work,you cant pay your tax and then it all starts to go pear shaped from there.this is all my view of coarse and i may be wrong
Old 11 June 2006, 06:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive your car into the swimming pool you have just legally filled!!!!

Pisses me right off too!! Why can you fill a swimming pool? Well simply money - they pay to fill a swimming pool and wouldn't have to pay if they were not allowed to!!

Stinks IMHO!!

Pete
Old 11 June 2006, 06:34 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

No hose pipe ban here in mid Dorset, we've had a pump on for three days pumping water from a well on our property just to water the garden.........

Washed four cars this morning with a hosepipe too.....
Old 11 June 2006, 06:36 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

We hear it all the time - There's a water shortage !

4/5 of the world is covered in water and the icecaps are melting.

How can there be a shortage ?? Scare mongers.

Solution - build the biggest desalination plant in the world. Unlimited supply of water.

Job done.
Old 11 June 2006, 06:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

They 'could' just fix the leeks they have that lose millions of gallons a minute!!!

But, no, Mr Smith should not be allowed to wash his car properly .... however, he can go to a car wash and let that use up far more water!!

Pete
Old 11 June 2006, 07:05 PM
ScoobyBird!
Scooby Regular

Kinda unfair we aint had a hose pipe in stoke on trent so just had the hose pipe out, to wash my classic wrx... however according to the news we will have one in place as from next week eek dirty car it will have be!
Old 11 June 2006, 07:22 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Hah,

people take the **** out of us for living in the wet part of Britain, then want to nick all our water !

Its ours, and im happily washing my car
Old 11 June 2006, 07:40 PM
D3MAN
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gixerman
oh, to be able to wash the car with a bucket!......I live near Gatwick and we've now got a drought order, so illegal to wash your car even with only a bucket!!!!!!
Is that right ? I live near gatwick about four miles away and I think you can still use a bucket and sponge, well I am anyway, feel free to put me right.
Old 11 June 2006, 08:41 PM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

OK, low water levels etc, hose pipe ban etc.....

But.... don't we pay for a service, i.e. the supply of water, as and when required, so if there has to be a restriction on the supply, due predominately to the amount of water lost through underground pipe fractures and leaks not being fixed by the water companies, then lets have a rebate on what we pay to reflect the reduced service??????

Liam
Old 11 June 2006, 09:03 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Hey! Don't worry about a thing . . . As soon as there's a hose pipe ban it usually starts raining . .
Old 11 June 2006, 10:15 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

This country needs to take a look at the way people in Texas manage their water. They have a very clever system in place (rota system), it means that people have to work together and do their bit - but in return they get fairly relaxed rules considering their lack of H2O.

http://www.planotx.org/water/
Old 11 June 2006, 10:23 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

top price house's, top price for beer infact top price everything and no water thank god i dont live down souffff
Old 11 June 2006, 10:29 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

I live in North London so the ban is in force but I just use a bucket, takes longer and uses more water but at least the car is clean and legal...
Old 12 June 2006, 12:09 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

just waiting on the day that they ban hand car washes....that will be fun...

people still use hose pipes...i see it all the time...though not in the streets...
Old 12 June 2006, 08:40 AM
ScoobyBird!
Scooby Regular

Most should be happy weve had rain this morning.... In the midlands anyway.
Old 12 June 2006, 08:50 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D3MAN
Is that right ? I live near gatwick about four miles away and I think you can still use a bucket and sponge, well I am anyway, feel free to put me right.
Nope it is a hefty fine if you are caught washing your car even with spit if you are in East Surrey water.
Old 12 June 2006, 11:03 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Yep perhaps the water companies should use their massive profits to build some of these http://www.water-technology.net/projects/israel/ in the UK.

Originally Posted by graeme.
We hear it all the time - There's a water shortage !

Solution - build the biggest desalination plant in the world. Unlimited supply of water.

Job done.
Old 12 June 2006, 11:18 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by graeme.

Job done.
97.5% of the water is saltwater, unfit for human use. Desalination isn't as easy as you think, it requires a huge amount of space and energy to produce a large supply of fresh water, which can in-turn create other problems for the environment, i.e. CO2 emissions etc.

The majority of freshwater is beyond our reach, locked into polar snow and ice. (which melts in to salt water oceans!)

Less than 1% of freshwater is usable, amounting to only 0.01% of the Earth’s total water.

Info taken from here

Old 12 June 2006, 11:27 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Energy use requirements for desalination plants are high.

For example, an estimated 50 million kWh/yr would be required for full-time operation of the City of Santa Barbara's desalination plant to produce 7,500 AF/yr of water. In contrast, the energy needed to pump 7,500 AF/yr of water from the Colorado River Aqueduct or the State Water Project to the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California is 15 to 26 million kWh/yr. These energy requirements may be compared to the energy use of a small- to medium-sized industrial facility (such as a large refinery, small steel mill, or large computer center) which uses 75,000 to 100,000 kWh/yr.

Info obtained from here
Old 12 June 2006, 11:56 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Ah but what about using solar and wind power to generate the electricity for the plants?
Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Energy use requirements for desalination plants are high.

For example, an estimated 50 million kWh/yr would be required for full-time operation of the City of Santa Barbara's desalination plant to produce 7,500 AF/yr of water. In contrast, the energy needed to pump 7,500 AF/yr of water from the Colorado River Aqueduct or the State Water Project to the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California is 15 to 26 million kWh/yr. These energy requirements may be compared to the energy use of a small- to medium-sized industrial facility (such as a large refinery, small steel mill, or large computer center) which uses 75,000 to 100,000 kWh/yr.

Info obtained from here
Old 12 June 2006, 12:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Ah but what about using solar and wind power to generate the electricity for the plants?
I think it comes down to size of land required, could you imagine the size of the solar/wind farm required to produce 50 million kWh/yr.

Quick Reply: Hose pipe ban rant