ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Untertakeing on the motorway.

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 01:54 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Untertakeing on the motorway.

Does this really get up anyone else's nose? I'm not talking about under-taking an old dodder who feels they should do 70mph in the inside lane when the other two lanes are clear, I mean people who weave around in the outside lanes and then squeeze into the inside lane two cars further forward than they already were? Do these people feel they are better than everyone else for some reason??

Oh and lets not forget the ***** who sit right up in your boot when there's nowhere to go, expecting a queue of traffic to move over for them because they are in some way more superior to other road users?

Or does anyone feel its acceptable to do this and why do you feel that way? Maybe you were a spoilt child or your just impatient?
Old 12 June 2006, 01:58 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very much dependent on other road user volumes and the flow of traffic. If it's all slow moving with high volumes of other road users then its just dangerous driving inflicting more hazards to an already overy populated area for minimal gains. If its free flowing and just some plonkers with an inability to look in their rear view mirror, then assuming the conditions are supportive a cheecky duck and dive down the inside in the name of "making progress" is frowned upon but happens
Old 12 June 2006, 02:06 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Weaving in and out at brake neck speeds is not on. Allways makes me laugh when I see someone do it, especially when I overtake them a few mins later...

However, if your observant enough to notice your lane of traffic is slowing 1/2 mile ahead and you move into another lane with less traffic in plenty of time, then well done. There's nothing wrong with that. It shows you arn't staring at the car infront
Old 12 June 2006, 02:10 PM
twintracks
Scooby Regular

it's irritating
especially if they manage to clear a slower car that's sitting in the outside lane then you see them buggerin off in to the distance, meanwhile you're still stuck behind the muppet who doesn't want to move over
suppose the amount of time it cuts off your journey it doesn't matter as it will only be a few minutes, if that, still annoying though
Old 12 June 2006, 03:31 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

I hate it, only because if I were to do it I'd be pulled.

No, seriously it's dangerous
Old 12 June 2006, 03:42 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

It"s called people having no manners, combined with poor driving ability intelligence . . . . So nothing new there . .Undertaking or, not , motorway driving should above all be steady cruising, and it is important to give yourself plenty of space, in front and behind . .In the end I will arrive alert and refreshed at my destination, and the undrtaking brigde, will most likely get tangled . .

I am happy to let them undertake - because i know something they don't!
Old 12 June 2006, 04:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I will admit to undertaking people if the motorway is more or less empty and the plonker is sat in the middle lane. I always uses the inside lane and only use the others for overtaking as per highway code. Its amazing if you undertake in this manner how soon the plonker in the middle lane then moves into the inside lane. I never do it erratically though to gain a place or 2, in fact my next door neighbour goes on more or less the same route to me on his way to work. He drives a merc (explains it then) and he drives like a dick weaving in and out at stupid speeds. I have told him this as well. He no longer talks to me!!
Old 12 June 2006, 05:49 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I only feel the need when i've given them enough chance to move over, without pressuring. Weaving is a no-no - people playing Outrun for real.

We drive on the left, but people seem to forget that. I like the frenchies for that, (maybe other EU countries too?!) as they're approaching flash you to get out the way. And everyone moves over.

Try flashing someone in this country to move over. You'll just get the bird or V's.
Old 12 June 2006, 06:25 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

what ever happened to keeping left unless overtaking? if people practiced this a bit more then the motorways would be a much more pleseant place. What really annoys me is a 4 lane stretch everyone tailgating in lane 4, lane 3 busy with muppets lane 2 empty and lane 1 the odd truck - surely if you are cruising in lane one (obaying the law!) then it would be rediculous to cut accross 4 lanes and join the back of the 'moving road block'.

IMHO this is one of the most annoying day to day problems, i think there should be compulsory motorway training for all

Andy
Old 12 June 2006, 06:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I only feel the need when i've given them enough chance to move over, without pressuring. Weaving is a no-no - people playing Outrun for real.

We drive on the left, but people seem to forget that. I like the frenchies for that, (maybe other EU countries too?!) as they're approaching flash you to get out the way. And everyone moves over.

Try flashing someone in this country to move over. You'll just get the bird or V's.
I noticed that in Spain, loads of flashing
Driving to Widness today, people like to under take the Scooby, I think their thinking "HA I passed you" whilst I'm thinking ****s he doing
Old 12 June 2006, 06:44 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Having once followed one bloke for 1 1/2 hours of continually dawdling in the outside lane and refusing to move over when there was space, there are odd occassions where I might move in when there is a big gap to undertake a clear "problem" driver who has stayed blocking the way after multiple opportunities to let others pass. Other than that I certainly wouldn't advocate weaving in and out, or undertaking in situations other than those permitted by the highway code.
Old 12 June 2006, 07:49 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
Having once followed one bloke for 1 1/2 hours
Surely there must have been a chance to get past, if you wanted to?
Old 12 June 2006, 07:53 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 106rallye
what ever happened to keeping left unless overtaking? if people practiced this a bit more then the motorways would be a much more pleseant place. What really annoys me is a 4 lane stretch everyone tailgating in lane 4, lane 3 busy with muppets lane 2 empty and lane 1 the odd truck - surely if you are cruising in lane one (obaying the law!) then it would be rediculous to cut accross 4 lanes and join the back of the 'moving road block'.

IMHO this is one of the most annoying day to day problems, i think there should be compulsory motorway training for all

Andy
agreed, inconsiderate driving such as this leads to anger in other drivers who then do something illegal and dangerous, this must be one of the main factors of crashes.

To answer the original question, yes weaving in and out is annoying and dangerous
Old 12 June 2006, 07:59 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Does this really get up anyone else's nose? I'm not talking about under-taking an old dodder who feels they should do 70mph in the inside lane when the other two lanes are clear, I mean people who weave around in the outside lanes and then squeeze into the inside lane two cars further forward than they already were? Do these people feel they are better than everyone else for some reason??

Oh and lets not forget the ***** who sit right up in your boot when there's nowhere to go, expecting a queue of traffic to move over for them because they are in some way more superior to other road users?

Or does anyone feel its acceptable to do this and why do you feel that way? Maybe you were a spoilt child or your just impatient?

So let me get this straight. You are in the outside lane and a car which starts behind you have sufficient space to travel on an inner lane and end up several cars in front of you?

mmmm can't help thinking why you are in the outside lane and not the inner lane?
Old 12 June 2006, 09:22 PM
treehack
Scooby Regular

got to admit i do do it occasionally.but only if it's an idiot sitting in the middle fast lane when nothing infront of them.it can be dangerous but years of bike riding and you get a sixth sense for eratic drivers.just keep and eye on them,best to try and see the drivers face in his mirrors if you know what i mean.
but to do it in heavy traffic just to get to your destination 2mins earlier if unforgivable
Old 12 June 2006, 09:24 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Surely there must have been a chance to get past, if you wanted to?
I wasn't in a hurry (and was in a diesel). Therefore, decided to make room to let others have a go at moving him / undertake him, and otherwise follow to see just how far he'd go before moving in. He didn't come out of the outside lane once between Reading and the last junction before Wales, where I peeled off, nor did he ever once reach "normal" speeds for the M4
Old 12 June 2006, 09:46 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
So let me get this straight. You are in the outside lane and a car which starts behind you have sufficient space to travel on an inner lane and end up several cars in front of you?

mmmm can't help thinking why you are in the outside lane and not the inner lane?
It's happened to me before, when there's also a car in front of me, we've both cleared some left lane traffic and I am now hoping he's going to move over and let me pass. He doesn't, despite there being nothing in the inside lane for a good distance. Then Mr impatient who's behind me pulls left and passes both of us on the inside...leaving me praying that the guy in front of me sees this (and let's face it, he probably hasn't even registered that I'm there) and doesn't suddenly pull over and hit Mr Impatient who's coming through on the inside. Which would leave all 3 of us in a bit of bother...
Old 13 June 2006, 12:24 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Had a group of lads in a 205 block the outside lane on purpose a while back, just sat there, clear lanes to the side of them, me being very curteous and giving him room and time to pull over. But he just sat there, then started shaking his head to music, miming that he was taking his time, while his mates started laughing, and looking back at me. Had the wife and kids in with me, so gave him some more room, dropped right back, gave it 5th, and undertook in about 3 seconds. Bet he was dead chuffed he risked me getting 3 points! What a bell end
Otherwise, I'll undertake if some grade A dickwad is sat in the middle lane on an otherwise clear motorway, but only after giving them a blast on my piaa's and a flash of the lights. Motorway training for all I say.
Old 13 June 2006, 01:31 AM
n3 wrc
Scooby Regular

what pisses me off is when you are driving along with your nice 2 second + gap between you and the car in front and some ****** throws there car in your gap and then slams on there brakes !!!!!

that really fuc*s me off !!!!
Old 13 June 2006, 01:37 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alloy
Very much dependent on other road user volumes and the flow of traffic. If it's all slow moving with high volumes of other road users then its just dangerous driving inflicting more hazards to an already overy populated area for minimal gains. If its free flowing and just some plonkers with an inability to look in their rear view mirror, then assuming the conditions are supportive a cheecky duck and dive down the inside in the name of "making progress" is frowned upon but happens
That is a good discription
Spot on too ...
Old 13 June 2006, 06:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by [Davey]

Yes middle lane hoggers are fair game & deserve it - IF it is safe to do so and not affect other road users.

The idiots who weave around lane to lane ad hoc should get pulled up by plod but sadly there do not seem the cops about to do so.

It shows a lack of respect and care for other motorists - a bit like middle lane hoggers.

Here in Dubai it is the national sport BTW, along with using the hard shoulder a an additional lane and waiting until you are just passing an exit, realising it is the one you want and either stopping or pulling off like a looney.
Also anothe fave is to be on a slip road of slow traffic, cut across the desert in between the slip road and the main motorway you wish to join and just pullijg onto the main m/way!

Every journey is a 'mini adventure'

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 June 2006 at 06:48 AM.
Old 13 June 2006, 07:54 AM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Ahh dont get me started on this subject

But I didn't know 'til a few years back that the highway code allows you to flash a slower vehicle to let him know you need to pass (i'm sure i didnt dream it!)

Trevor
Old 13 June 2006, 09:04 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Highway Code seems pretty vague.

90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.
Old 13 June 2006, 09:05 AM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid to say that I do it quite regularly. I always seem to find plenty of numpties, in either the middle or outside lane. I start off patiently, but normally after about 10 miles, i've had enough. You have nothing in the inside lane, captain putz in the middle, with cruise control set to 68mph & some moron in the outside with CC set to 69mph. At times like this I will drift across to the inside & off we go. I have measured the mileage sometimes & I have done over 3 miles before I have to overtake & yet the 2 doughnuts are still in lane 2.
The worst I have seen, is joining the M25 clockwise from the M23 you have 4 lanes. I have been up this stretch at below 60mph. This was at 22.30 with just 6 cars including me.
Plain and simple the coppers don't give a f##k about anything other than speed. These numpties will cause more accidents than speeding will. To cruise along the motorway @ 70/80mph, having to drift across 2/3 lanes & back, does eventually cause accidents.
Why not bring in a fixed penalty for incorrect lane discipline. There again that would mean having to have decent coppers, doing real Policing.