ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The Scoobynet Attitude !

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 08:04 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Scoobynet Attitude !

*** FAO New members *** Please read the following pages, it will save you time in the long run of your stay at scoobynet to add several names to your ignore list.

How many threads by fairly "new to scooby" owners turn into a witch hunt ?
How many people ask genuine questions looking for guidance only to have their original query unanswered and have the **** ripped out of them instead ?
Are the mod's of the site (if there are any) happy with this situation ?

People moan about threads saying "I raced this that and the other" and think this gives scooby's a bad name. Personally if i had been a member of this forum before i bought my WRX last year i wouldn't have touched a Subaru with a barge pole. I'd have assumed most Subaru owners were unhelpful arseholes with nothing better to do with their time than intimidate and patronise those new to the Subaru experience.
As a qualified technician of motorcycle maintenance (well i was 7 yrs ago ) i have a fairly good knowledge of the internal combustion engine. Car's however have different, more complex elements than bikes, and Subaru's have to be one of the more technical and complex cars to own. So someone with a background of working on vehicles will still ask questions about subjects they are not so sure about, and i would assume as a "community" you members were in the perfect situation to help answer any query someone might have.

At some point you were all new to car's, Subaru's, Exhausts, ECU's and such like. Just because now you know a lot about one subject doesn't give you the right to make people feel inferior for asking basic advice.

I understand its a public forum and its a free country but choosing to click the back button is a far more mature approach than posting in little gangs and scaring off a new member before they've even had the chance to get involved in the Subaru community.

I also understand that some people have absolutely nothing better to do with their time but to scan each and every thread for spelling or gramma (just to keep you happy ) mistakes or slight mistakes in the description of their vehicles. Ask yourself who's the sad one ? The one thinking themselves to be superior just because they know which WRX had which ECU and refusing to help or the one new to the scene and looking for some friendly advice.

Before i get flamed - I do not own one piece of jewelry, or anything in a burberry pattern, An RS turbo nor do i claim benefits so please don't call me a chav. I am not angry or stressed, just posting about something which is quite obviously scaring people away from what would be a great community.

Lastly a very big thankyou to all the genuine helpful members who do their best to help out and provide information to answer people's queries. I'm sure i will have a few questions in future and i hope its you guy's that reply rather than the usual group of idiots.

Last edited by 94impreza; 04 July 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a number of keyboard heros and associated trolls/dross , sorry..
Old 04 July 2006, 08:24 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 94impreza
Lastly a very big thankyou to all the genuine helpful members who do their best to help out and provide information to answer people's queries.
Your welcome..........................................
Old 04 July 2006, 08:30 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Your welcome..........................................
Old 04 July 2006, 08:34 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lastly a very big thankyou to all the genuine helpful members who do their best to help out and provide information to answer people's queries. I'm sure i will have a few questions in future and i hope its you guy's that reply rather than the usual group of idiots.
Thats ok mate ......

You do get idiots on here, luckily you can spot them easily ......

Just stick with the down-to-earth bunch I run with and you won't go far wrong ...... the ***** are a bit weird mind you (and those who use CockLinks to bolster their egos!).

Put the usual group of idiots on ignore .....

Pete
Old 04 July 2006, 08:35 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Hear, Hear

How many people ask genuine questions looking for guidance only to have their original query unanswered and have the **** ripped out of them instead ?

People moan about threads saying "I raced this that and the other" and think this gives scooby's a bad name. Personally if i had been a member of this forum before i bought my WRX last year i wouldn't have touched a Subaru with a barge pole. I'd have assumed most Subaru owners were unhelpful arseholes with nothing better to do with their time than intimidate and patronise those new to the Subaru experience.
As a qualified technician of motorcycle maintenance (well i was 7 yrs ago ) i have a fairly good knowledge of the internal combustion engine. Car's however have different, more complex elements than bikes, and Subaru's have to be one of the more technical and complex cars to own. So someone with a background of working on vehicles will still ask questions about subjects they are not so sure about, and i would assume as a "community" you members were in the perfect situation to help answer any query someone might have.

At some point you were all new to car's, Subaru's, Exhausts, ECU's and such like. Just because now you know a lot about one subject doesn't give you the right to make people feel inferior for asking basic advice.

I understand its a public forum and its a free country but choosing to click the back button is a far more mature approach than posting in little gangs and scaring off a new member before they've even had the chance to get involved in the Subaru community.

I also understand that some people have absolutely nothing better to do with their time but to scan each and every thread for spelling or gramma (just to keep you happy ) mistakes or slight mistakes in the description of their vehicles. Ask yourself who's the sad one ? The one thinking themselves to be superior just because they know which WRX had which ECU and refusing to help or the one new to the scene and looking for some friendly advice.

Before i get flamed - I do not own one piece of jewelry, or anything in a burberry pattern, An RS turbo nor do i claim benefits so please don't call me a chav. I am not angry or stressed, just posting about something which is quite obviously scaring people away from what would be a great community.

Old 04 July 2006, 08:36 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Put the usual group of idiots on ignore .....

Pete
ooh! how do i do that ????
Cue flaming !
Old 04 July 2006, 08:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

ooh! how do i do that ????
Cue flaming !
its in settings ,if i were you id start with Lewis/DCI ***** ...
Old 04 July 2006, 08:48 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
its in settings ,if i were you id start with Lewis/DCI ***** ...
Yep, then you can be as BORING as dpb, who by the way PM's me ALL THE TIME asking me to wind others up.... which I refuse to do of course......
Old 04 July 2006, 08:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 04 July 2006, 08:50 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
lol
Yep, that's you busted...................
Old 04 July 2006, 08:52 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Great point and well made.
I had the wee wee taken out of me when I first asked for advice as a new owner.
There were some great people who gave me good advice which I've taken up ( bigger Turbo & a remap).

If I can help anyone in any small way newbie or not I always try.

As I was told ignore the clowns.

Kind regards

Alan MAC
Old 04 July 2006, 08:52 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

I think there is alot of banter on SN but the problem lies with the idiots who go over the top. Some people do it and you know they have a dry sense of humour. People like AWnoscooby ruin the site because all they do is wind people up and he's not funny!
Old 04 July 2006, 08:53 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

I think there is alot of banter on SN but the problem lies with the idiots who go over the top. Some people do it and you know they have a dry sense of humour. People like AWnoscooby ruin the site because all they do is wind people up and he's not funny!
Old 04 July 2006, 09:04 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I think the problem is not with our resident internet trolls, who are more often than not quite funny.

For some reason there is a few anti-subaru fanatics here that feel the need to slate every positive comment and generally complain how rubbish the forum is. Unfortunately they seem to pick on a question posed by a new member looking for information and launch straight into a barrage of personal insults.

Very sad unfortunately, and seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of years imo.

Dave
Old 04 July 2006, 09:07 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Who's got the shortened verison of this for me to read?
Old 04 July 2006, 09:09 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If this isnt the pot calling the kettle black then I dont know what is ffs!
Old 04 July 2006, 09:11 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Old 04 July 2006, 09:12 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

My lugs are burning.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:13 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Please explain.....?
Old 04 July 2006, 09:13 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

i think stuff like muppets section should be removed as takes away from wat site is meant to be about!!
Old 04 July 2006, 09:16 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
i think stuff like muppets section should be removed as takes away from wat site is meant to be about!!
Button it, newbie.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:18 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Yeah... muppets is just full of wine drinking munta's.... but if we chuck them out were will they go? they will be homeless on the streets of England?
Old 04 July 2006, 09:18 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Please explain.....?
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=526894
Old 04 July 2006, 09:23 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

think of the **** taking as a sort of apprenticeship (spelling) /induction. if you can come through it smiling then youve made it, if you bite and take offence you will sink and not return.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:23 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Ok so as a collective i called my new neighbours chav's. Seen as the owner of the scoob doesn't actually live there then i have not said anything derogatory about him except to say he isn't my cup of tea. Fact of the matter is i know this person in real life and have done for several years, that i find is enough for me to say he is not my cup of tea. I could spout on about exactly why he's not my cup'o tea but that would be unimportant. You don't know anything about me except i own a scoob when you first read anything i post.

The traps working, the people who most need ignoring are highlighting themselves for everyone to see. Again its a thread with half of the community putting across a valid opinion, the rest doing the usual .

Last edited by 94impreza; 04 July 2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:25 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Ok so as a collective i called my new neighbours chav's. Seen as the owner of the scoob doesn't actually live there then i have not said anything derogatory about him except to say he isn't my cup of tea. Fact of the matter is i know this person in real life and have done for several years, that i find is enough for me to say he is not my cup of tea. I could spout on about exactly why he's not my cup'o tea but that would be unimportant.
You are BUSTED........... "ta tar........."
Old 04 July 2006, 09:27 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Old 04 July 2006, 09:29 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Thanks boys your really highlighting my original point.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:33 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
You are BUSTED........... "ta tar........."
Hmmm, your point is that i am a hypocrite because i have said i don't particularly like someone i have known for 14 years but its perfectly acceptable to slate someone you have never met nor ever will.