ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Engine noise - just checking!

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2006, 07:33 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise - just checking!

Evening chaps, ive had the scooby ( MY99 UK Turbo ) for a few weeks now and am still loving it.

I just wanted to check something trivial having never owned one before - are you supposed to be able to hear the engine working from inside the cabin? I can hear the belt clearly working away when sat in my drivers seat, i also seem to have like an "airey" noise as though the air con is working all the time ( its not ) - is this just the engine noise?

Obviously i can hear the engine working when outside the car due to the massive scoop on the bonnet, im not overly concerned as the car runs like a dream but just thought id check to find out im not missing anything i.e soundproofing for behind the dash.

I also seem to have the slight hessitation that ive noticed people mention on here, its only really noticable when the car is cold and it only really occurs when you arent clogging it i.e the car feels as though it wants to go faster - is this a built in safety feature to let you know the car isnt warmed up yet and wont allow full boost? A similar feature occurs on my MR2 turbo, the car will limit boost until the engine reaches a safe temperature.

Thanks

Adam
Old 21 August 2006, 07:41 PM
gazman
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam

I have a UK MY99

never really noticed if I can hear the engine noise inside the cabin

I'm going out in a mo so I'll check and report back.

Your second point on the hesitation

Mine does that when it's cold so maybe it's normal

See what the techies say when they add their replies
Old 21 August 2006, 08:06 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

06 slight hesitation partial throttle warm or cold when i accelarate ho well prob have to live with it
Old 21 August 2006, 08:53 PM
gazman
Scooby Regular

Ok been out,got back

All I can hear is my loud exhaust and the turbo , no engine noises
Old 21 August 2006, 09:26 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

I dont know then. Theres a possibility your loud exhaust is drowning out the sound!

Ill wait and see if anyone else posts before i start to worry too much.

Thanks mate

Adam
Old 21 August 2006, 09:28 PM
gazman
Scooby Regular

TBH Adam I did give the car a bit of a rev on the drive and had a careful listen but couldn't hear anything more than a standard engine revving
Old 21 August 2006, 09:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hesitation is a 'feature' of the Impreza, happens at around 3000 RPM - mine has done it for 6 1/2 years and 70,000miles (I would miss it now if it disappeared!)

Pete
Old 21 August 2006, 09:41 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam.

I have a 2000 registered UK Turbo so effectively the same car. My wife has a 2001 registered UK WRX so effectively the same engine surrounded by a different body.

I love my car to bits, treat it well, and it has a full Subaru service history from day one -- with all services on time too. My biggest observation though is that the engine bay is somewhat noisy, especially compared to the wife's.

Compared to the new-age and beyond models, the Classic's build quality is fairly 'tinny' so the doors don't necessarily clunk, a tad more road noise can be heard, and you can hear the engine working. If I have driver or passenger windows down and I'm in a built-up area, the engine noises get reverb'd back.

Like yourself though, I'm not worried -- to date the car's been fine and accelerates with no problems. LOL, I used to have an MR2 Turbo too so know exactly what you mean about the T-VSV holding back boost until full operating temps are reached. I don't boost the Impreza until it's been going for a while, but when I have once or twice, it's not happy so there must be a batch of sensors telling me to take it easy.

Jonts.
Old 22 August 2006, 08:14 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies fellas, much appreciated

I had a good listen to it this morning and ive decided like you said Jonty thats it due to the classic's cabin. Nothing to worry about, im sure ill get used to it in a bit.

Thanks

Adam
Old 22 August 2006, 09:24 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
Evening chaps, ive had the scooby ( MY99 UK Turbo ) for a few weeks now and am still loving it.

I just wanted to check something trivial having never owned one before - are you supposed to be able to hear the engine working from inside the cabin? I can hear the belt clearly working away when sat in my drivers seat, i also seem to have like an "airey" noise as though the air con is working all the time ( its not ) - is this just the engine noise?

Obviously i can hear the engine working when outside the car due to the massive scoop on the bonnet, im not overly concerned as the car runs like a dream but just thought id check to find out im not missing anything i.e soundproofing for behind the dash.

I also seem to have the slight hessitation that ive noticed people mention on here, its only really noticable when the car is cold and it only really occurs when you arent clogging it i.e the car feels as though it wants to go faster - is this a built in safety feature to let you know the car isnt warmed up yet and wont allow full boost? A similar feature occurs on my MR2 turbo, the car will limit boost until the engine reaches a safe temperature.

Thanks

Adam
Adam,

When was the cambelt last changed?

Scoobies can be a bit lumpy for the first few miles when warming up, but it should pass quite quickly. You shouldn't really have hesitation when warm, how is your idle? One thing you should be aware of is that MY99/00 have notoriously weak mafs and when these go, driving on-boost can kill your engine. If you start to notice significant hesitation when the car is warm and your idle seems uneven, drive off-boost till you've had the MAF checked out.

Ns04
Old 22 August 2006, 09:35 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Hia mate, cambelt was changed at the last service.

The idle speed is fine, not erratic. The needle seems to lower after a few minutes of driving but it never drops low enough for concern.

Its only really slightly hessitant when its cold, noticed it a lot more this morning as i had to leave it out overnight, it was fine after a few minutes once the temp guage was at just under the halfway point.

Ive read that the MAF's can go on this model / year so ill keep my ears and eyes open for any problems.

Thanks

Adam
Old 22 August 2006, 11:15 AM
New_scooby_04

Lumpy when cold is perfectly normal mate, as you say when the water temp guage is about halfway, it goes completely. The engine will also be a bit noiser when cold- nothing to worry about unless it sounds sinister! if you hear air escaping though, this may indicate a leak, have you checked your hoses?

Ns04
Old 22 August 2006, 11:22 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

I'll check the hoses the next chance i get mate, thanks.

Im going to have a good mess with the engine at the weekend to familiarise myself with it, im also one of those people that likes a clean engine bay - so if theres a loose hose or clamp somewhere ill definately find it.

Thanks

Adam
Old 22 August 2006, 11:29 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
...as you say when the water temp guage is about halfway, it goes completely.
Perhaps I'm overly cautious but I normally keep the engine revs below 4K for another 5 mins after the coolant has reached normal temps. I was told that this helps to get engine oil and transmission fluid up to good temps too.

Jonts.
Old 22 August 2006, 11:44 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jonty
Perhaps I'm overly cautious but I normally keep the engine revs below 4K for another 5 mins after the coolant has reached normal temps. I was told that this helps to get engine oil and transmission fluid up to good temps too.

Jonts.
That's not overly cautious at all!!! Let me be completely clear about this: the car has not properly warmed up when the water temp guage reads half way, the engine oil and transmission oil takes significantly longer!! It's just that the low rev lumpiness seems to go when the water temp reaches normal in my experience. This IS NOT an invite to put your foot down stay with the low revs untill the car is warmed up properly!

I give my car 8-10 miles at no more than 2.5k before using any boost.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 22 August 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:45 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Airy noise? Could be a bearing on one the belt driven ancillaries (PAS pump, alternator, a/c clutch ) or a dry bearing on one of the cambelt pulleys or water pump. The fact you can hear belt noise too could suggest that.

This should have been checked when the cambelt was changed but can be overlooked.

Last edited by Shark Man; 22 August 2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 22 August 2006, 01:05 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Noted mate, thanks

IF it was one of the things you listed should i be worried, or is it something that could wait until the next service or until i get the car to a garage?

The belt is definately audable from outside the car ( not so much inside ), and the nuts attaching them to the engine are rusted. Although i would presume most peoples are like this due to the bonnet letting in water?

Thanks

Adam
Old 22 August 2006, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cambelt changed at last service?? Was it?? Was it not?? Sounds dodgy to me - a cambelt snap would be disastrous so get it checked out!

Pete
Old 22 August 2006, 06:15 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK Chaps, managed to do a bit more investigating when i got home a bit ago.

I sat in the cabin and noticed that the "airy" noise i mentioned that i can hear - changes note / pitch depending on which way i turn the steering wheel.

So is this just the PAS Pump belt thingie working and ive got incredibly good hearing? Or could it be what Shark Man said it could be i.e a bearing on aformentioned piece of equipment?

Thanks, still not worried

Adam
Old 23 August 2006, 12:59 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any more input on this?

Also how would you know that the brakes ( disks / pads ) needed replacing? The previous owner said the pads would need replacing soon. Would you get a slight ticking noise when coming to a stop? Ive noticed that sometimes but not all the time i get a tick, tick noise coming from the wheel area when i pull into my driveway.

The pads still seem to work and the pads arent warped or anything but could do with a clean.

Thanks

Adam
Old 04 June 2009, 09:30 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

just changed ic pipes on my 96 sti ra v2, was fine before just new hoses
now i got wen cold hesitation 800 revs to a thousand, and a metalic nois from right of the power steering resovoir,...... any ideas
JJ