Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 12:27 AM
clare.purvis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating

heres my problem...

Called the aa out as my car had water running out from under the bonnet, they tested it etc and said it was a knackered water pump, had it taken to a garage we use but they were away on hols so the next door garage fixed it for us, so we had a new water pump fitted and app while they are there its standard to change the timing belt (which cost more than the water pump).

Took the car away and it was still running water out from some where so took it back to the garage, this time they said the thermostat had gone and it was not related to the previous problem.

Thing is this the problem is still there and its over heating every time i put my foot on the accelerator (not tooling it though).

Its going back to garage tomorrow but i think they are taking the p**s now so far it has cost me £330.

Any advice on what this could be? and if this sounds like i am being ripped?

Thanks Clare
Old 22 August 2006, 08:37 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Water pump circa £60.00, thermostat circa £20.00, after market belt circa £65.00. Parts circa £145.00 + labour.

A faulty thermostat will not cause a water leak. It could cause over heating, and water to come out of the expansion bottle, but you can test a thermostat with a mug of boiling water.

Without knowing just where the water is leaking from, it's a little hard to guess at what the actual problem is.

Mark.
Old 22 August 2006, 09:08 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Is it still leaking water? If not then there could also be an airlock in the system which can cause overheating as well.
Old 22 August 2006, 04:43 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I had a very small hole in the top radiator pipe on mine the other day. I was going to get a std replacement but looking on the camskill site they are £20 plus p&p and as I would want to do the bottom hose at the same time they are £23 from them. I had a look on ebay and I have ordered a full set of Autobahn 88 silicone coolant hoses (8 hoses same as the Samco TCS87/C kit) for £58 delivered from Hong Kong. Just waiting for them to turn up now May be worth you inspecting these pipes when the car is running and up to temp.
Old 22 August 2006, 05:45 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Is the heater working okay???

I had a overheating problem last yaer, it turned out to be a blocked hose from the header tank. my heater would be running hot and then go cold and then back to hot, it would then boil over when in standing traffic (This would only take about 1 minute)

Had the thermostat changed and whilst they were at it they found I had a blocked samco!!!

Water would bubble out of the over flow and flow down by the N/S wheel. Temp hit 111 degrees.
Old 22 August 2006, 06:15 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

you say your in newcastle, take the car to either AS Performance (birtley) or Revolution (gateshead Quayside).

These guys will not rip you off, both are trusted members at the Tyne Tees Scoobs

Hope you get sorted

john
Old 22 August 2006, 10:30 PM
clare.purvis
Scooby Regular

he all thank you for your reply.

Got it back today, they had a look at the radiator found nothing wrong, it was still leaking water but some how they have managed to stop the water and not over heating anymore told me it will be a grand if its still leaking and over heating to fix
Old 23 August 2006, 12:13 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

hi

you want to make sure they have not put Radweld in the re or something.

If it were my motor, i would be taking it to either of the 2 mentioned. They have not really gave a reason as to why the car has been leaking

john
Old 23 August 2006, 03:28 PM
DShox
Scooby Regular

your aircon could be part of the problem due to a fan out of action. turn it off and see if it works - the pump prolly got knackered because it couldnt pump fast enough when the system demand rose without a fan.

i cant remember what happened in my bros A6. he told me to leave the Aircon on Economy but i forgot. I turned Economy off and went into Normal aircon mode. 150 miles later...water weeing all over the floor. I believe a fan had already failed and so when i cranked up the aircon, the overall cooling system couldnt cope anymore and knackered the already fragile system.

Hope this helps. I'll go and find out more if you want me to look into this further!

D