ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hi Guys & Girls

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2006, 12:12 PM
ravon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Guys & Girls

New member just wanting to say HI!!!! Great site.
New to the world of Scoobies and im looking for a little information.
Im currently thinking of buying a scooby and have around £4000 maybe a little more to spend, but im worried about a few things.. Wonder if you guys can help.

Is there any good scoobies around for that kind of money?
Whats the general life span of the engine?
Whats the general life span of the turbo?
Is there any major worries i should be aware of as this will be my first subaru.

If a problem arrises with the turbo, eg gasket whats the tell tail sign's, and what would i be looking at ££ to get it fixed.. a slight worry of mine as years ago i had a R5Turbo and that went up in smoke. Though the underpowered 1400cc engine never helped.

I have heard that general mpg figures are around 30mpg, is this true, manufacture figures tend to be inflated..

What type of running costs am i looking at.. I love the cars to bits but if its gonna cost a few hundred quid a month to run then its a little expencive... ( by the way im 30 with 13 years no claims so insurance at a problem)

hope you lot can help abd that my first post aint to much ..

cheers..

mark
Old 22 August 2006, 12:18 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ravon
New member just wanting to say HI!!!! Great site.
New to the world of Scoobies and im looking for a little information.
Im currently thinking of buying a scooby and have around £4000 maybe a little more to spend, but im worried about a few things.. Wonder if you guys can help.

Is there any good scoobies around for that kind of money?
Whats the general life span of the engine?
Whats the general life span of the turbo?
Is there any major worries i should be aware of as this will be my first subaru.

If a problem arrises with the turbo, eg gasket whats the tell tail sign's, and what would i be looking at ££ to get it fixed.. a slight worry of mine as years ago i had a R5Turbo and that went up in smoke. Though the underpowered 1400cc engine never helped.

I have heard that general mpg figures are around 30mpg, is this true, manufacture figures tend to be inflated..

What type of running costs am i looking at.. I love the cars to bits but if its gonna cost a few hundred quid a month to run then its a little expencive... ( by the way im 30 with 13 years no claims so insurance at a problem)

hope you lot can help abd that my first post aint to much ..

cheers..

mark
MPG budget for 20-25 mpg on average. If JDM spec then usually MUST be run on at least 97/98Ron possibly with octane booster too.

Insurance is expensive, obviously depends on your postcode, budget for £600+

Can't comment on the techy questions.
Old 22 August 2006, 12:18 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

hi and welcome mate.

1st off, the more time you take over buying a good one, ie, you get a looked after car, the more it will look after your wallet. Generally speaking.

As you should be aware, performance cars are not cheap to run, but some cheaper than others.

Personally, i would stick with a UK turbo model, with history. Have a look on www.pistonheads.co.uk go to the classifieds section for some good motors, i was on there yesterday, theres at least 200 motors for sale on there at the moment.

john
Old 22 August 2006, 12:30 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

You can find good examples for that price range however its just a matter of searching and finding the right one, and whether your looking for an import car or a uk model. FSH is a must.

The engines if well looked after and serviced regularly will most likely last longer than you or i will.

The turbo's again similar to the engines if cooled down and warmed up properly should last a long time.

No major worries when buying these cars as they are generally very solid and reliable cars, again look for the normal things when purchasing, funny noises, tapping, leaks, check the oil etc etc...

Running costs are dependant on a number of things: how you drive the car is the main one, driving hard on boost regualrly then your wallet will suffer . Also how efficeintly the engine is running and whether the car has been mapped or modified all have an effect on the mpg. A standard car with sensible driving I reckon getting 25mpg would be very good.

I'm sure the scooby guru's on the forum will correct me if I'm wrong

Hope this helps
Old 22 August 2006, 03:06 PM
ravon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info , any more from you lot is more than welcome