ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Knocking FRONT strut

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2006, 01:55 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking FRONT strut

I'm aware of the strut/mount problem on the rear of the newage STi's, but is it also on the front?

I seem to be getting the same *clonk* from the front left strut. Just wandered if it was a known warranty issue.

S&S have been sound so far, but always good to be armed.
Old 23 August 2006, 02:52 PM
StuB
Scooby Regular

Just got my rear end knocking sorted at long last. warranty is up next week.

Had shocks replaced a year ago when they failed completely and they were done again last month to try and cure knock but without success so went back.

Told knock was due to big nut holding wheel stub on was slightly lose??????????. I jokingly said was there any chance of it falling off. (now thinking, this could have been serious/dangerous), but was told no. Assumed there is a split pin or something.

The Head Mechanic chap I spoke to this problem generally hapens at the front, so could be this. hope this helps.
Old 23 August 2006, 03:01 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I'm aware of the strut/mount problem on the rear of the newage STi's, but is it also on the front?

I seem to be getting the same *clonk* from the front left strut. Just wandered if it was a known warranty issue.

S&S have been sound so far, but always good to be armed.
Yes. Mine went on my 05 STI after about 8 months. Got both sides replaced under warranty.
As they'd never come across it on the front before, they changed the whole front suspension set-up
Old 23 August 2006, 03:06 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i had both rear wheel bearings replaced prior to my trip to the ring! and different knocking has returned so prompted for ast suspension ,supposedly a lot of wheel bearings are being replaced according to th e local dealer
martin
Old 24 August 2006, 11:34 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Hmm, if it helps, when i go over a speed bump with just the front left wheel it clonks as you got over it.

Would that point to more suspension than wheel bearing? The front right is not making the noise.

I'll let 'em know when i'm in for the 20k.

Thanks all.
Old 24 August 2006, 12:17 PM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Im having the same problem with my 03 sti, seems to be the top suspension mount bearing has collapsed, got some nice tein suspension with pillowball top mounts so we will see if this cures it
Old 24 August 2006, 03:06 PM
StiDoc
Scooby Regular

Mine`s been in recently as well ( MY04 Sti ). The guy didn`t believe me at first that the front was knocking as well as the back as they had "never" had to do anything to the frount mounts. After a road test ( about 15 yards ! ) he conceeded defeat. Had the rear shocks and struts replaced and the front driver`s side mounts replaced. Knocking and clunking is 90% better but not completely gone. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks before possibly taking it back for another look.
Old 24 August 2006, 03:42 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiDoc
Mine`s been in recently as well ( MY04 Sti ). The guy didn`t believe me at first that the front was knocking as well as the back as they had "never" had to do anything to the frount mounts. After a road test ( about 15 yards ! ) he conceeded defeat. Had the rear shocks and struts replaced and the front driver`s side mounts replaced. Knocking and clunking is 90% better but not completely gone. Will see how it goes over the next few weeks before possibly taking it back for another look.
That's good to know. I quick drive in mine will point it out too.