ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

hi all. maybe joining you all ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2006, 05:36 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi all. maybe joining you all ?

hi there, thought i would join and introduce myself, so here i am lol i am no young whipper snapper at 36 years old and from the midlands. previous cars range from fords, bmw 5.0 ,mr2 turbo, to a vr6 but i am really drawn to a subarua for
1. the noise obviously, and
2. 4 wheel drive

a friend had a classic shape uk turbo impreza and has just traded up to a 03 uk sti, he took me out for a spin and to say i was blown away was an understament i looked at subaru's before i brought my last car but was scared off by the amount of cars with rebuilt engines, knowing if i had one go pop on me i would be in dire straits financially but here i am again looking at subarus with cash in pocket

i know very little about scoobies but know the basics like the ra is a light weight version etc. i have around £6000 to spend and was looking for some genuine advice. i have read (might not be correct) about certain models needing an engine rebuild after a certain amount of miles as standard ? notably the p1 (way outa my price range anyway) and maybe the sti ra ? are there any models for me to steer clear of regarding these sort of financial issues ? i do tend to take a chance like with the 5.0 litre bm but dont want to push my luck, although the car will be driven with care most of the time and only given stick occasionaly from the lights, track days are not really my thing.

anyway thats a long post for a first lol hoping somebody might give me some pointers with things like what is a closed deck i have seen a car on ebay (dont know if they are a member) what do people think to this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=012

thanks in advance
Old 06 September 2006, 05:48 PM
Mrx
Scooby Regular

2.5 conversion ? running 300 bhp
looks like it so unstandard you could have trouble BUY AN HONEST one and go from there -----just my advise ?
2 litre I get 385 bhp
Old 06 September 2006, 05:59 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

hi thanks for the reply my thinking was that it was a fresh engine build with a bigger engine so shouldnt give much trouble as it was bigger capacity ? does it not work like that ? also the company that did the work, are they well known and any good ?
Old 06 September 2006, 07:47 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

11k miles on new engine ... what is total mileage though as parts wear out over time?

Note that 03 STi test drive (car value £12k?) might not match experience in a £6k Scoob, best blag a test drive first.

Xtreme Scoobies are well respected though ... did an engine rebuild for me a while back!

TX.
Old 06 September 2006, 09:42 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

hi thanks for the reply i already asked for the total mileage, just waiting for a reply ? i thought the car sounded ok as he has spent 6k on it getting it all done ? and you say the garage has a good rep so maybe it is a good car i would love performance like my friends o3 sti but wont expect it from a 6k car...well not reliably anyway thanks again
Old 06 September 2006, 10:14 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

my advice; get a unmodified, unmolested totally looked after one, once you're hit by the mod bug its really hard to stop. Someone might have just put a decat system and sold it to you then you will have to get it remapped as it will be bad for the engine etc etc
Old 07 September 2006, 04:45 PM
gramps1970
Scooby Newbie

modding bug, i know all about that lol and how much it costs lol my last car >

trouble with buying a standard one is finding one, there arent many standard ones about, hence me thinking about perhaps getting one that has a fresh engine. just seems so hard to buy a decent one for my budget ? this is what happened last time, till eventually i gave up and brought something different

Trending Topics

Old 07 September 2006, 04:59 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Xtreme are a very well respected outfit. Their 2.5 conversion is usualy a 'reliable' 350BHP / 350 Torque, but could be pushed out closer to 500 with supporting mods. Why don't you give them a ring and ask them about it?
http://www.xtremescoobies.co.uk/

Forgot to mention, this set up will be easily as fast as the STI and should be quite a bit quicker.