ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

prodrive / subaru driving days

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 10:40 AM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prodrive / subaru driving days

From what i can tell there are prodrive days where you can take your own car and someone teaches you how to drive it properly, and there is the subaru day where you drive four of their cars,

Has anyone done either of these and how do you rate it, I've just got an 06 sti and want to learn the limits off the public roads, subaru day sounds good if you get a decent amount of time in the car and actually get to push it and its not my car, but if its like ten minutes and a guy telling you to slow down etc then its a waste,

just want to hear from anyone who has done either thanks
Old 08 September 2006, 11:17 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dave_sw1
From what i can tell there are prodrive days where you can take your own car and someone teaches you how to drive it properly, and there is the subaru day where you drive four of their cars,
I have done 2 Days with Listers @ Prodrive, 2 Prodrive-live days(Fun their Cars)) and a Prodrive Driver training (My Car) all were awesome. Prodrive are excellent Hosts IMHO

I have rung and Emailed about those "Advertised" days one said "We don't do them anymore" next said "send me your name address and we will post you details" never did recieve anything So I bought a Jap Import instead

Tony
Old 08 September 2006, 12:21 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

were you invited or is listers one you can pay to go on?
Old 08 September 2006, 03:52 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Got a brochure sent through about Subaru/Prodrive "Drive Days" the other week.

I think you get to drive STI,WRX 5 dr,Forester 2.5xt, Forester 2.0x, Legacy Spec B saloon and sports tourer, and legacy 2.0r (Phew!)

Costs £250.

Tel 01676 536191

or email: subarudrivedays@prodrive.com

Do you think they will let me have a free go or some free prodrive parts for advertising this for them ?!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08 September 2006, 04:07 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

yeah thats the one advertised on the website, if its someone teaching you how to handle the car then i'm up for it, if its 5 mins driving with a muppet telling you to slow down, then forget it,

can go either way on these things
Old 08 September 2006, 04:21 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dave_sw1
were you invited or is listers one you can pay to go on?
Lister Days were a Dealer giveme Sadly no longer a Dealer

I paid £200 & £300 for Prodrive live days and £350 for the Training with an ARDS driver 50/50 tuition on Adverse Track, Circuit and Skidpan(my favourite)

Tony
Old 11 September 2006, 11:29 AM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

spoke to prodrive, all they currently offer is the subaru driving day as per subaru's web page, they said you get about 20 mins in legacy, wrx, wrx sti, forrester,

not too sure about it as i only really want to know how the sti handles on the limit and if i dare mess about with my cddc button? without binning my own car

really want to hear from anyone who has been as i'd be effectively paying £250 for 20mins in an sti
Old 11 September 2006, 12:02 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

One of our customers invited me to a Prodrive day as a freebie. I was keen to go as I thought that I'd get some quality time in an 06 STi.

Unfortunately whilst I had a free fun day out, it was disappointing in that I didn't spend much time in the STi. One lap in the STi and another in a WRX (plus Legacy and Forester ) around the circuit wasn't enough to learn the handling characteristics.

Best to go for something like T5NYW did in my view.
Old 11 September 2006, 01:14 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My wife booked me on the £250 Prodrive day in July as a birthday gift and it turned out to be an absolutely fantastic day. The day lasted for just over 5 hours in total and had 4 different sections, skid pan, high speed circuit, adverse handling circuit and off-road (thankfully done in a chunky Isuzu pick-up truck rather than a Scooby).

I was a little nervous beforehand, I drive a Scooby every day (MY00 classic wagon) but didn't know how useful this experience would be on the track. The instructors were excellent and really helped you grow in both speed and confidence, they all appeared to be pretty serious racing types and actively encourage you to put your foot down!!

The skid pan was really good fun, part of this is watching everybody else make all the same mistakes as you. In my opinion the highlight of the day is the adverse handling course, once you've learnt the track in the Legacy it's amazing to go out there again and monster it in the 2.5STi.

I'd recommend it to anyone
Old 11 September 2006, 03:19 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, i assume you both did the 4 car course thats on subarus web page, thats one who enjoyed and one who was dissappointed.

i've scoured the trackday and driving experience pages and nobody uses a new scoob (understandable i guess) plenty in classics, I am tempted with the prodrive day, just to see what the car can do.

but robocops experience of 1 lap in an sti would be a real downer, would expect a little longer than that
Old 11 September 2006, 04:18 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

I did a 2 session Prodrive Live day-: land Rover off road and Sti7 Group N on adverse Handling but there was a group of 4 to share the time in car with. SO actualy driving time was quite short

Originally Posted by Robocop
Best to go for something like T5NYW did in my view.
To be honest you only Pay for what you get On a three session Adverse handling, Circuit and Skidpan Tuition. Using my Car, sharing a days Tuition (ARDS driver) with another Person was £350 each.

a Full day 1 to 1 Tuition was £600

If I used their STiPPP instead of my Car it was an extra £350 per day.

BTW the skid pan was my peersonal favourite followed closely by Adverse handling

Tony

Tony
Old 11 September 2006, 04:36 PM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

I'd be very disappointed if I only got 1 lap in the STi as well.

The way it worked on my day was that for each discipline you got to drive 2 different cars, on the speed and adverse circuits these were a Legacy and a Impreza 2.5STi. I'm sure I got about 5 hot laps of the high speed circuit in the STi before being told to come in, it was even fun in the Legacy. On the adverse handling course it felt like 7 or 8 laps in the STi although I lost track because I was having too much fun provoking power slides in 2nd gear

On the skidpan you don't need to be in an STi to have fun anyway because as long as you're doing it in a Subaru 4WD the principles are the same, there's no grip anyway!! The Forester was a beautifully balanced car in that regard, I was less impressed with the Legacy saloon though (seemed a bit twitchy).
Old 30 December 2007, 07:36 PM
jockc79
Scooby Regular

blah