help please

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 01:56 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please

people need some help

i have recently lost my father and have now paid off my credit cards so i have no more finacial worries.

i have got anything from nothing up to 15k to spend on a car and was thinking of spending say 12-15k on it

my thoughts where on getting a p1 for around the 12-13k mark with 40-50k on the clock

but popped to my local subaru dealer ship and took out a 54 plate uk sti with full prodrive kit engine and handeling pack, i have beem looking and i have seen them go for around the 15k mark

basicly now i am stuck with a choice of which to go for, need some advice in 2yrs time how much do you think they would be worth? and if you had the choice wht would you spend your cash on?

thanks

steve
Old 08 September 2006, 02:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

P1 won't lose much money at all as people like me have borne the brunt of depreciation.

If getting a P1 ensure there is warranty left with it (subaru warranty) or a recent engine rebuild by a respected garage. A fantastic car which embodies all that Subaru stood for in the past.

A newish sti will be prone to high depreciation, and doesn't AFAIK suffer from engine failure.

For my money between the 2, I'd go for another P1. I have never had any feelings of wanting to own a new shape Impreza at all.
Old 08 September 2006, 02:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking at a 6 year old car, its going to start suffering problems, engines are prone to failure due to the JDM map, you will also end up with problems like clutches (not cheap to replace, 700+ quid inc flywheel) and finding one with a warranty..... hmmmm
Look JDM new age, 16k will get you a nice MY03 STi will all the bits on, more power, more torque, better handling, more grip, nicer interior, nicer car, no rattles, better quality materials and no dodgy subaru 4 pot brakes
Gearboxes are solid along with the clutches and the engines are torque heaven
Oh and the ECU's and maps are considerably better than the classics

Tony
Old 08 September 2006, 02:40 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

novarally is selling a 53 Plate STi, lOOks lovely for £12k lOOk in the For Sale Section.

That's taken a lot of the depriciation, so you shouldn't lose that much on it. A P1 would probably hold the money better, but in the P1 minefield it may take some time to get a good one and may be out of your budget.

I would opt for an 03/04 STi, i am biased, but honest. If you could get a 05 STi within your budget, then that's even better (DCCD, etc etc)
Old 08 September 2006, 03:34 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

As Gaz the Hat has said NovaRally has one for sale here with FSSH low miles at 18,000 miles and looks very clean.

If it were me and my money it would go there as opposed to a squealer.

https://www.scoobynet.com/53-plate-sti-t536976.html

Flumping cheap car by the way Novarally!!!!!!!!

If I was trying to save money at the moment I would have ripped your arm of as that is cheap.

Don't be afraid to buy private - if you are careful, do your homework and ask the right questions and get refrences where possible you should be fine. A HPI check is a good idea as well.

Novarally posts regularily on the welsh section of SN so you should be able to get character feedback form other snet users.

only my thoughts.

Regards

GB
Old 09 September 2006, 02:14 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

thanks guys just need some good advice and that is what i am gettting. that was my thougths over the p1 i read that they are not the most reliable of subarus just a damn shame as they look great.

so you would recommend a o5 plate sti over a 03 or 04
Old 09 September 2006, 02:18 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by stevie1982
thanks guys just need some good advice and that is what i am gettting. that was my thougths over the p1 i read that they are not the most reliable of subarus just a damn shame as they look great.

so you would recommend a o5 plate sti over a 03 or 04
P1s are very reliable. My brother has my old P1 with over 60k on it, and that still seems to be ok. In over 5 years, just the battery has been replaced.

But, I'd still get one with warranty left or a recent rebuild for that extra security.