ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Please Help...Noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 08:38 PM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help...Noise!!!

I'm really hoping someone can help with this one as it is really beginning to wreck my head....When I bring my scooby(MY99 GT2) above 80 mph I can hear a loud buzzing noise from what seems like a buzzing behing the dash or maybe even the engine bay. I orignally thought it might be the wind noise from the windows or something but deff not. The noise is specific to the speed. I can throttle it in any gear... no noise and as soon as she hits 75-80 mph its like there is a huge wasp or bee behind the dash. She was recently in the subaru garage where they did a service and tightened one of the belts(power steering i think). Has anyone ever come across this before?

thanks
Old 08 September 2006, 08:42 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

What's a GT2 Impreza?
Old 08 September 2006, 08:42 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Does it do the same on different road surfaces, if not then it could be to do with the speedo I think.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:06 PM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

to be honest I though it might be the speedo cable myself as it is that area the noise comes from or that what it sounds like anyway. I thought I would check we your good selves first in case it might be a common problem....

this is my GT2(or so it says on my vehicle registration book)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/S2300134.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/S2300136.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/S2300137.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...g/S2300129.jpg
Old 09 September 2006, 10:31 AM
de bong
Scooby Newbie

I tried a different road surface...still same....
I also took out my clocks/odometer but there is no speedo cable attached???just 3 green electrical connectors....the buzzing noise sounds like it coming from that area but I not sure.can I drive her with out the clocks in as a test?Is there anything else that could be causing it?
Old 09 September 2006, 01:45 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Could be a cracked heatshield. Do a search on here and you'll find it to be a very common fault and an easy fix.

I had it once on an old wrx and it did the noise upon starting and at certain revs.
Old 09 September 2006, 07:10 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Bit of a long shot this one but worth a look.......i had a Pajero in for a customer which made a vibration / buzz typr noise over 60MPH, turned out that the plastic clip holding the washer jet pipes had broken and the rubber pipe was vibrating against the bonnet in the breeze comming through the grill..........have a look just in case!!
Dave.
Old 09 September 2006, 11:25 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

another possibility ! I had a similar 'buzzing' noise at certain speeds - it was the brake pipes... If u lift the bonnet and look at the bulkhead immediatley behind where the speedo is (and just below the bonnet line), there is a couple of thin pipes - make sure they aren't too close/rubbing

alan