Took a spin in an 05 sti today!

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2006, 04:10 AM
chalk107
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a spin in an 05 sti today!

Hi fellas,

New to this forum, Thought id say hello! Havent got a scooby yet but thinking of getting an 02 sti.

I went for a spin today in an 05 sti 2.5 type. Well funny, once it was warmed up I nailed it it 2nd and 3rd and the dealer had a fit! He started telling me to slow down and take it easy! Think I scared him!

Anyway just wanted to share that with you.

So after some advice, what should I look out for in an 02 sti. How much should I expect to pay for a good standard uk one with fssh and about 40k on it. I want blue or black with the big wing!

Thanks for all your help.

Mark
Old 10 September 2006, 04:56 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Bugeye MY02 STi's (often called STi7) are around 11-12.5k these days. Having said that, you could get an 03 for similar money benefitting from the better looks and slightly better car overall CLICKY. 02's had slightly less power in both standard trim and with the PPP, and also only came with the low ironing board wing. All 03+ STi's got the big wing.

I personally find the STi too manic and ultimately tiresome after a short while, finding the WRX with PPP easier to drive at speed for long periods, which is why I have such a car but with devastating handling mods making it easily a match for most standard or slightly mod'd STi's. I'd like the quicker rack and better diffs, but you can keep the 6sp 'box and laggy turbo. The 2.5 goes some way to redressing some of this as its extended torque makes it easier to hang on to gears longer, but even so, on a 2 hour test drive I returned knackered whereas I can easily drive my WRX all day in comfort and at 98% of the speed. FWIW

Welcome to SNet
Old 10 September 2006, 09:01 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

The MY05 STI has 2.0ltr engine not the 2.5ltr engine. The 2.5ltr engine didn't appear until the MY06 model with the new front end.

The MY05 STI is regarded by far the best incarnation of the Euro STI's including the current MY06 STI. Get it PPP'd and you'll be grinning from ear to ear Lots of spec C bits on it and its a completley different beast from previous STI's I driven or owned.
Old 10 September 2006, 09:02 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Echo above. There's a LOVELY example (MY03 STI) in the For Sale section at a very cheap (and appears genuine) price.

Yes, the STI is alot more hardcore, but it is very rewarding at the cost of your undivided attention whilst driving.

The WRX PPP is alot more "liveable" (IMHO) - I always had UK Turbos with mods to get closer to the STI experience, as I know that whilst I would love the power etc, I need to use it as a normal, everyday car that wifey has to drive too.

Nothing wrong with Bugeyes if you can live with the looks - I'm not overly keen, and prefer the 03 (Blob-eye) to the newer Hawkeye (or Jap's Eye!)....

You could also look at a Jap Imported STI7. Better spec, which when it comes down to the money for these models can only help when it comes to selling time (IMHO, although I accept the issue regarding the "Import" stigma)

After re-reading your post, you're after a UK one. So, bear in mind at 45K, there's a cambelt change (the big service). As with most high powered cars, check out the usual things -
clutch replacement
Brake pads - STIs have Brembos
Accident damage
State of exhaust - PPP came with full Stainless steel
Any air-filter upgrades - Induction is a "no-no" Most go for an STI panel filter (Do a search on STI panel filters as there's always group buys )
Insurance (!)
the above stuff was what I looked at when I was looking for an STI

TBH, they're pretty bomb proof if they've been correctly looked after.

I'm sure others will add more to the list

Best of luck though

Dan
Old 10 September 2006, 10:53 AM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=markGT]The MY05 STI is regarded by far the best incarnation of the Euro STI's including the current MY06 STI. QUOTE]

By who?? No doubt MY06 owners will disagree!
Old 10 September 2006, 11:05 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Leeroy]
Originally Posted by markGT
The MY05 STI is regarded by far the best incarnation of the Euro STI's including the current MY06 STI. QUOTE]

By who??
MY05 Owners
Old 10 September 2006, 11:22 AM
andrew02
Scooby Newbie

why worry about what modle you have,i got a 2000 wrx and i love it.think about it,you got one,and 90% of boy racers havent,they can only but dream!
Old 10 September 2006, 11:54 AM
redxiii
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chalk107
Hi fellas,

So after some advice, what should I look out for in an 02 sti. How much should I expect to pay for a good standard uk one with fssh and about 40k on it. I want blue or black with the big wing!

Mark
The big wing is part of the prodrive styling pack from new, sti 7's come as normal or prodrive style, a search on here will list the differences.
when looking take your time, there are nice examples about still but they didn't make many.
I spent 6 months looking and paid 13k for one with 18k miles from a subaru dealer, it came with fsh,12 months warranty and they did the 30k service (£700), bear that in mind when comparing private & dealer prices.
Black and Silver are much much rarer than Blue.
hope that helps.
Old 10 September 2006, 08:25 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

the jdm sti' are coming downin price and are better for every year
Old 10 September 2006, 10:18 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm p/x'ing my sti non-prodrive (lower rear spoiler) 2002, Silver, ppp, prodrive suspension, 25k miles, very good condition. It'll be for sale at Fox's Subaru garage, Kent from this friday.
Old 10 September 2006, 11:06 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

I am a My06 STI PPP convert (of course I would be after buying one )

Had a WRX PPP (MY04) before which I loved. Raw performace at the moment I guess is about the same (I am running in the STI so its not going above 4000 rpm). However the potential seems well worth waiting for...

When I had the WRX my view was that 'the STI did not give me enough extra to justify the difference in price' - well as a convert I have also come to the view as many an STI owner has said in the past - the WRX and STi feel like different cars .... I would now agree....

I do not think the MY06 STI will be too difficult to live with - yes it skips around a bit with a hard rid - bit its not so bad ..... Having test driven a MY05 STI I really do think the power delivery of the 2.5L is better - its more progressive - but still comes in force from 3000 in every gear. The 5 and 6 speed rush with PPP at ummmm non road legal speeds is shocking !!

M
Old 10 September 2006, 11:07 PM
chalk107
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your useful help guys!

Few more questions,

Whats PPP?

Whats my?

Im going to be taking this car to Germany, Is there any real advantage that the STI is going to have over the WRX on the Autobahns? I wont be doing anything on the twisties!

What sort of top speed can you get from a standard 02 wrx and sti?

Thank you all so much for your help.

Mark
Old 10 September 2006, 11:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

PPP - Prodrive Performance Pack (do a search for it )

MY - Model Year eg MY06 Model Year 2006

Dan
Old 10 September 2006, 11:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

no real advantage IMHO... gotta be careful with top speed with these cars.

There's been some real horror stories of Autobahning and blow ups (due to high revs, not cooling down sufficiently when re-fuelling, then bakc up to high revs.....)

The Scooby is more the A/B road champion. If you want an Autobahn mile muncher, go for German

Dan
Old 10 September 2006, 11:20 PM
chalk107
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Dan,

Out of interest what is the top speed of the 2 in standard trim? 2002

Thanks again

Mark