Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone running a FMIC on a STI 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 08:41 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running a FMIC on a STI 8/9?

as above -would like to ask a few questions..
Old 27 September 2006, 10:15 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Spen555 is (although it's on his JDM)
Hol has one on his as well.

HTH
Old 28 September 2006, 12:14 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had one fitted very recently (STI8). Fire away with any questions you have
Old 28 September 2006, 11:09 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

*watching with interest*
Old 28 September 2006, 11:13 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Me too
Old 28 September 2006, 07:21 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

right then, lets get this going.

I've an 04 JDM STI. I'm currently looking to get a few things done, a fmic might be one of them.

first round of questions:

1) what are the benefits (actual proved results would be great)
2) what are the down sides
3) Where did you source them from? are the ones on flea-bay any good?
4) Who did the fitting and how easy was it (i've heard it's a bugger of a job on blob-eyes?)
5) what mods were needed to complement/make the set-up work?
6) how easy it to get a black fmic or get one sprayed?

that should do for now..

Cheers lads
5)
Old 28 September 2006, 07:23 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i have on a blob wrx, same principles.

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2006, 08:27 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I guess the first question is to ask you what sort of power you are looking at wanting to get to long term, and also what other mods do you have ?

Keeps the charge temps down. Obvious really.

mmmmm, none.

the ones Ive seen on fleabay have crappy thin fins that bend real easy.

APS if you want top quality.

4) Who did the fitting and how easy was it (i've heard it's a bugger of a job on blob-eyes?)

Local motorsport garage fitted mine. A bit of cutting was required on the bumper (I've got the 02 STI with Prodrive bumper)

Well thats endless !!!!! turbo/headers/injectors..etc.etc.etc

I've got the APS 725DR in Black. Not sure they sell them in black now.

And heres a pic

Old 28 September 2006, 08:29 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I guess the first question is to ask you what sort of power you are looking at wanting to get to long term, and also what other mods do you have ?

mmmmm, none.

Local motorsport garage fitted mine. A bit of cutting was required on the bumper (I've got the 02 STI with Prodrive bumper)

And heres a pic

Old 28 September 2006, 08:29 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

oops, double post
Old 28 September 2006, 08:41 PM
Gaz7612
Scooby Regular

Got to get myself one in black looks really smart and APS stuff is really well made
Old 28 September 2006, 09:22 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marklemac

mmmmm, none.

And heres a pic

The car is is an jdm sti so comes with the twin-scroll turbo , headers etc On top is a full milltek system and tek 3 map al la powerstation with 255 pump and sti filter - other than this its standard. Its around the 350 mark at present and i don't have a figure in mind for where i want it to be.

been thinking of getting something new but an leaning towards keeping adding to this one instead. I'm just wondering if a fmic is worth doing....

Just done a search for your APS unit Mark and they still do them in black - do stone chips etc cause the silver base to come through after a while? also noticed most all say it's for 500-700bhp +

Do you still get a benefit for figures under this?

Last edited by pippyrips; 28 September 2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 28 September 2006, 09:26 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pippyrips
right then, lets get this going.

I've an 04 JDM STI. I'm currently looking to get a few things done, a fmic might be one of them.

first round of questions:

that should do for now..

Cheers lads
5)
I'm no expert but here are my thoughts:

1 Lower charge temperatures when on full throttle for extended periods and after stationary periods. With appropriate mapping = more power and less probablility of det. Also good for when running big power (around 400+bhp)

2 Cost of FMIC and installation, need for alternative air intake, reduced throttle response (see my post https://www.scoobynet.com/throttle-r...c-t547197.html )

3 Got mine from Harvey Smith - hybrid, £600 for FMIC including fitting and air intake (except actual filter )

4 Harvey did excellent job - recommended. Not the easiest job to get a tidy looking installation apparently, esp on blobeye

5 Blow off valve, modified air intake plus remap

6 - no idea
Old 28 September 2006, 10:15 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob just incase you have not visited get yourself signed up on HERE
Old 28 September 2006, 10:25 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

no damage yet from stones (FMIC has done around 20k miles).

And no, there is no silver undercoat underneath.

Its just black, black, black
Old 28 September 2006, 10:32 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Pippy-the APS items (such as the one Mark has) are dipped/ anodised. Chipping and the requirement to touch up should be non existent.

I'm looking at getting a FMIC supplied and fitted by Harvey at the end of next month and am pretty sure I want it to be black to match the rest of the car and to retain the stealth look. This will involve some form of spraying and the jury is out as to whether this will have a negative effect on the FM effectiveness. I know for one Harvey has his reservations and I value his advice.

As I say Damian (Spen555) had his supplied and fitted by Harvey. His is a JDM too so he may be able to offer you some advice as he's tried a few bits and pieces to max his current set up.
Old 28 September 2006, 10:36 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

To add Bob Rawle pretty much made my mind up that the FMIC would be a good addition to my car (including 18g turbo etc). He confirmed that he could map a little more aggressively and amongst other things I should see a significant benefit above 5k revs (compared to the same car using TMIC)

Harvey suggested fitting could be done in a day. I certainly wouldn't fancy tackling this myself.

Lunar...............is yours the 03 plate (blue) used in a few posts recently - notably on 22B.com?
Old 29 September 2006, 09:32 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Rob just incase you have not visited get yourself signed up on HERE
Cheers Si,

I've looked on there but they talk in a different language!

RLE - keep me in the loop with your progress on this
Old 29 September 2006, 10:38 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pippyrips,

IMHO this is another myth regarding the difinitive use of a FMIC over a JDM newage TMIC (up to a specific power level). I fully appreciate that a FMIC should provide cooler charge temps..... but from my experience (again at a specific power level) not to enough benefit to warrant the cost of a FMIC, extra piping (which will result in more lag, however small) and possibly junking the standard airbox for an induction kit of some sort.

Standard newage TMIC is fine for up to and beyond 420bhp (testing is still being conducted to see how far this can go).

My car is not exactly mapped conservatively, is used on track and has never registered det regardless of the inlet temps or driving conditions whilst on the standard top mount.

Whilst I fully appreciate a FMIC is required at a certain power stage (which is dependant on standard TMIC type and car year), but for a JDM Newage I wouldnt even contemplate even thinking of one unless you were considering in pushing figures in excess of 420bhp.

All IMHO of course.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 September 2006, 11:42 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Whilst I fully appreciate a FMIC is required at a certain power stage (which is dependant on standard TMIC type and car year), but for a JDM Newage I wouldnt even contemplate even thinking of one unless you were considering in pushing figures in excess of 420bhp.
Would that be the same for a EU STi?

(I'm reading this thread with interest)
Old 29 September 2006, 01:30 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Pippyrips,

IMHO this is another myth regarding the difinitive use of a FMIC over a JDM newage TMIC (up to a specific power level). I fully appreciate that a FMIC should provide cooler charge temps..... but from my experience (again at a specific power level) not to enough benefit to warrant the cost of a FMIC, extra piping (which will result in more lag, however small) and possibly junking the standard airbox for an induction kit of some sort.

Standard newage TMIC is fine for up to and beyond 420bhp (testing is still being conducted to see how far this can go).

My car is not exactly mapped conservatively, is used on track and has never registered det regardless of the inlet temps or driving conditions whilst on the standard top mount.

All IMHO of course.

Regards,
Shaun.
Cheers Shaun,

makes my mod decisions easier!
Old 29 September 2006, 01:38 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Pippyrips,
Dont get me wrong..... FMIC's do the job they are supposed to do, but up to certain power levels personally I think you can spend your money on better things to improve your car, as the newage TMIC is very efficient once moving.

Gazthehat,
Yep they are both the same. MY05 onwards is supposed to be slightly better than MY02-MY04. I am not 100% sure if the MY01 is the same as the one fitted to the MY02 car though (it should be though as far as I know though).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 September 2006, 03:56 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Pippyrips,
Dont get me wrong..... FMIC's do the job they are supposed to do, but up to certain power levels personally I think you can spend your money on better things to improve your car, as the newage TMIC is very efficient once moving.

Gazthehat,
Yep they are both the same. MY05 onwards is supposed to be slightly better than MY02-MY04. I am not 100% sure if the MY01 is the same as the one fitted to the MY02 car though (it should be though as far as I know though).

Regards,
Shaun.
Thanks.
Old 29 September 2006, 04:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Pippyrips,

All IMHO of course.

Regards,
Shaun.

the argument could be made that with the right mapping, and possibly supporting mods (aka fster spooling turbo) it will help more than a top mount, particularly on v hot ays.
Old 29 September 2006, 05:08 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Tidgy,

That may be the case, but at what cost? I just think people dismiss the latest versions of the TMIC too easily up to a certain level (perhaps because of the previous TMIC that were not very effecient) and fitment of a FMIC for the benefit of a few bhp for when we actually get a summer over here.

As regards to faster spooling turbo..... I doubt you would get anything faster than mine with the headline bhp figures to match and that all works fine and dandy on a top mount.

No doubt in the future (the way my engine is going) I too will move to a FMIC, but not until I know the TMIC is out of it effeciency range (and you dont know that until you go through a continual test period) and the £1k+ required for the changes is worth the positives.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 29 September 2006, 05:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh i think the problem is the summers in the uk are getting hotter and longer and the difference will become more apparant over time.
supose its the old addage of how long will yo keep your scoob on the road?

but as far as cost, doesn't seem to be that much in it, if you know where to go and alsow dependant on what products you get.

for example a hyperflow top mount is about £700 + vat + fitting (which wont be much), where as i can get a very good unbranded front mount for £650 + vat but includes fitting.

direct power been told there is no direct improvment, however its the hot days it makes a difference.

have any comparisosn been doen as far as taking car with top mount on a rr then switching to a front mount map tweek and see what power it gets?