Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
View Poll Results: Do you fight back and argue ?
No, its only a car
11.46%
Yes, I worked hard for it and your not having it
35.03%
Wouldnt hand over right away, and judge their reaction
53.50%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Threaten, would you hand over your keys

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 01:14 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Threaten, would you hand over your keys

Situation, you pull up at a cash machine, jump out and lock the car. As your walking towards the machine your approached by two "Hoodies" medium build about 25-30. No weapon is visable but there is threats of a knife,

Do you hand over your keys.

Its you alone
Your no where near you house
There is no one else around
You are un-armed
Old 06 October 2006, 01:29 AM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kin right, Not handing diddly over. They want my car then be prepared to fight hard for it. Big difference in pointing a knife and using a knife. If it was a gun then they can have it cos it will be tracked and then they can face the music.
Old 06 October 2006, 02:49 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I'd take their knife and scalp them and make my own mentalist hoodie. That'll teach them to mess with an eleventy foot tall 72 stone Scoobynetter
Old 06 October 2006, 03:00 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No real fighter but when I get a "mental on" thats it
Old 06 October 2006, 08:34 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Originally Posted by kingofturds
No real fighter but when I get a "mental on" thats it
The same here.

the sensible thing would be to hand them over, but deep down i know i would not. Mrs and daughter with me it would be a different story though.
Old 06 October 2006, 08:37 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I would throw the keys as far I as could away from the dicks and fetch them later. On a roof would be good.

Just get ready to walk/run home!!
Old 06 October 2006, 08:37 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

In fact, no, I would give them the keys............as I have black Jax!!

Forgot about that one.

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2006, 08:49 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I like a scrap as much as the next man, but yeah they can take the keys, no worries.
I will walk into the nearest bank/shop and report the theft...
I will await the arrival of the police before walking no more than 300 yards to retrieve my car as the blackjax will have cut the engine Meanwhile, the thieves will be in hospital having blood drained from their aching ears
Old 06 October 2006, 09:08 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

They could have the keys.....................................Then I'd kick **** out of them 30 secs later when the anti-jack kicked in and they were at a disadvantage in the car
Old 06 October 2006, 09:27 AM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

what if they have a weapon and they tell you to get in the car and drive.... for a while....?
Old 06 October 2006, 09:47 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Drive car into lampost or similair hopefully they wont have belted up
Old 06 October 2006, 09:52 AM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Situation, you pull up at a cash machine, jump out and lock the car. As your walking towards the machine your approached by two "Hoodies" medium build about 25-30. No weapon is visable but there is threats of a knife,

Do you hand over your keys.

Its you alone
Your no where near you house
There is no one else around
You are un-armed

i'm never without some sort of weapon, ie a cosh etc but you'd be surprised how much of a weapon a set of car keys are. so no, on the threat of a knife I would give them squat except a hospital stay.

If a knife was seen it would be easier to do a runner. As you have the keys, the car is locked etc. Not much is worth getting stabbed for especially not a car thats insured against its own loss
Old 06 October 2006, 09:58 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

If I had a slight escape route, I'd take that. I'd rather run away, keep my keys, and keep my life.
If I couldn't get away, and no weapons were visible, then yes I'd fight. It's my car and I'm keeping it.
However, if they held a big sharp knife in front of me, then you can take the keys. Have a nice drive. Hope you crash and kill yourself.
Old 06 October 2006, 10:21 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
The same here.

the sensible thing would be to hand them over, but deep down i know i would not. Mrs and daughter with me it would be a different story though.
Same here..

It's very difficult to say what you'd do at the time, could come down to what sort of mood your in I suppose..?

Unless of course you're the average scoobynetter/'cage fighter' or should that be scooby****ter/'cage fighter'..?
Old 06 October 2006, 10:39 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

This thread is like the script from the movie 'Payback'.
Old 06 October 2006, 11:50 AM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

i would attack them, a old mate of mine got jumped by a hoodie and the hoodie got a proper good slapping if they want **** um make um fight you for it
Old 06 October 2006, 12:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover
If I had a slight escape route, I'd take that. I'd rather run away, keep my keys, and keep my life.
If I couldn't get away, and no weapons were visible, then yes I'd fight. It's my car and I'm keeping it.
However, if they held a big sharp knife in front of me, then you can take the keys. Have a nice drive. Hope you crash and kill yourself.
What he said!!

Of course, since this is SN, I'm going to state that I'm a horse of a man, who could take on a army with my little finger!!!

You can do several things to prevent this situation from every happening though, most of them relate to observation and the positioning of your vehicle. i.e. don't park it near places where people could hide and get the jump on you; you want to be able to see them coming from a distance to give you a chance to react. Don't pull right up to the bumper of the car in front of you- give yourself room to escape. Be aware of cars that may be following you, use the round the block trick to ascertain whether someone is following you or not. Always use the std alarms anti hijack feature which locks the doors as soon as the ignition is switched on. Careful where you park. Consider investing in a blackjax should the worst happen.

Sad that you have to do all this, but hey, Blair's Britain for ya: Soft on Crime, soft on the causes of crime!

Ns04
Old 06 October 2006, 12:17 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MazingerZ
what if they have a weapon and they tell you to get in the car and drive.... for a while....?
Run like Donald *uck !!

In South Africa, this would involve 3 or 4 guys with AK47's. Generally, if you get in the car, your body is found afew days later in some township. I know of a SA friend that got in, then jumped out from the back seat as the thugs drove off. He was lucky to escape with his life.

Having said that, if there were no weapons present and it was in the UK, I'd have a scrap with the cluckers !!
Old 06 October 2006, 12:24 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Is there an age related break point at which you believe that your car is not worth dying for, I remember the time when I went looking for the vermin who scratched my car(1986 Nova 1.4SR my first ever new car) with a baseball bat.
Now if someone gave me a nasty look they can have my car, I never leave anything I cannot replace in it, I am well insured, protected ncb etc. I love it but not to death.
If my daughter was in the car they would have to kill me first tho.
Old 06 October 2006, 12:25 PM
JohnMc
Scooby Regular

Not a chance would I part with them, I'm Not a big lad, but I get up at half 5 most mornings as I'm a self employed haulier and work hard so I can enjoy my toys and I'm fooked if some lttle dirtbag that has no job can just produce a knife and expect me to part with my keys. Go and get a job and buy your own.
I'd have no problem telling them that then reaching for the jumbo maglite..
Cheers
John
Old 06 October 2006, 12:26 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Depends if they jump you, or approach you.

Approach; i know i'd be ready, part of paranoia. Then if no weapon, hit the speaker, the other will run. Been hastled with knives before, they either don't have it or wont use it.

If jumped, give them the keys, watch them try and take off and laugh as B.Jaxx is on, then run!
Gotta remember though, it's only a piece of insured metal. Who gives a **** if someone else wants it, let 'em have it.
Old 06 October 2006, 12:27 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Agreed, Ive thought of this before too

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
I would throw the keys as far I as could away from the dicks and fetch them later. On a roof would be good.

Just get ready to walk/run home!!
Old 06 October 2006, 12:27 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Now if someone gave me a nasty look they can have my car, I never leave anything I cannot replace in it, I am well insured, protected ncb etc. I love it but not to death.

If my daughter was in the car they would have to kill me first tho.
So true!
Old 06 October 2006, 12:34 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

First reaction would be to **** off, if a knife was produced the keys are getting thrown as far as possible with me going in the opposite direction on the phone to the old bill.
Old 06 October 2006, 01:04 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I don't understand this ...

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Gotta remember though, it's only a piece of insured metal. Who gives a **** if someone else wants it, let 'em have it.
In my experience the insurance payout is far less than you need to buy another similar car, it takes ages to get the money, in the meantime you are on the bus or inconveniencing your mates, you lose all your CDs, gloves, roadmaps etc., and get nothing towards replacement, you have to hunt high and low for a new car, time consuming and expensive, which is never quite as good as your old one, your insurance premium will increase the next year, and forever more you know that some toerag has got the benefit of your hardearned. There are probably other factors that I've forgotten.

It's not just a car, in my case it represents years of hard work that I don't want to go through again.

Resist
Old 06 October 2006, 01:13 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I completely agree speedking
Old 06 October 2006, 01:35 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
What he said!!

Of course, since this is SN, I'm going to state that I'm a horse of a man, who could take on a army with my little finger!!!

You can do several things to prevent this situation from every happening though, most of them relate to observation and the positioning of your vehicle. i.e. don't park it near places where people could hide and get the jump on you; you want to be able to see them coming from a distance to give you a chance to react. Don't pull right up to the bumper of the car in front of you- give yourself room to escape. Be aware of cars that may be following you, use the round the block trick to ascertain whether someone is following you or not. Always use the std alarms anti hijack feature which locks the doors as soon as the ignition is switched on. Careful where you park. Consider investing in a blackjax should the worst happen.

Sad that you have to do all this, but hey, Blair's Britain for ya: Soft on Crime, soft on the causes of crime!

Ns04
Agreed.

How do i get this anti-hijack feature of locking the doors activated on my MY05? I used to have this in my Focus and loved it... didnt think the scoobs could do this.
Old 06 October 2006, 01:56 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

but whats the point of having a nice car if you are crippled or even dead, best give them the keys and let Blackjax do its magic
Old 06 October 2006, 02:00 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Its a piece of metal that I have fully insured, and i am not prepared to risk my life over, material objects sch as cars and belongings can be replaced easily enough...a life if a different matter!
Old 06 October 2006, 02:05 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

There was a time I would have considered not letting the keys go straight away. However, after seeing how quickly an argument over theft can lead to someone being stabbed to death, I'd rather my life than my car.

Quick Reply: Threaten, would you hand over your keys