ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

unwanted paint removal

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 08:08 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unwanted paint removal

some numpty at work decided to paint the front gates whilst my car was parked nearby,now there are loads of yellow bits all over the front of my blue car,ive trid to polish them out but to no avail,so i think it needs a t cut and mopping by a proper bodywork place..... any idea of costs for a complete car to be done because just doing the front will make it look odd i think,company is saying im parked there at my own risk so looks like ive gotta sort it myself ..... dick who did it said " yea it was a bit windy that day"
or can anyone reccomend any other way of getting it off without ruining the standard paint job?
Old 06 October 2006, 08:20 AM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

What a **** company seriously. Phone the police and report this guy for criminal damage. Have you asked him about paying the costs to have the front of your car mopped to remove the added paint? Alternatively go paint the front of 1 of the directors M5's, then tell him he was parked there at his own risk. When asked you can say you fell with a tin of paint.

Also have you tried using a claybay, i think a few ppl have been succesful in removing paint with clay.

Where i work theres a pile of pallets about 6 foot high, i reckon on a windy day some of the poorly stacked pallets may just topple onto my car. Yes i could park somewhere else BUT my car could do with a respray ideally so ill leave it there until they fall, if i get any of this "you park at your own risk" ill throw pallets at the other cars.

Just found this

Also for a pro to mop the entire car you're probably looking at about £200+, and if you dont find someone half decent to it your car will be full of swirls and holograms. If you dont have any luck with clay bar, try posting on those detailingworld forums ive linked too. Theres alot of ppl on there that do paint correction professionally and there work is awesome! Good luck.

Last edited by Ste_TYPE-R; 06 October 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06 October 2006, 09:29 AM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/paint-removal-t546080.html
Old 06 October 2006, 09:52 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rigga
some numpty at work decided to paint the front gates whilst my car was parked nearby,now there are loads of yellow bits all over the front of my blue car,ive trid to polish them out but to no avail,so i think it needs a t cut and mopping by a proper bodywork place..... any idea of costs for a complete car to be done because just doing the front will make it look odd i think,company is saying im parked there at my own risk so looks like ive gotta sort it myself ..... dick who did it said " yea it was a bit windy that day"
or can anyone reccomend any other way of getting it off without ruining the standard paint job?
Not liable - BOLOX, they damaged it, they're liable.... Rather, whoever instructed the painter and the painter himself.... That's one of the reasons companys have gazillion pound insurance.

J.
Old 06 October 2006, 10:00 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

You'll probably find a clay bar isn't agressive enough, still worth a try if its only emulsion, if its gloss, that another matter. You can get more agressive clay bars if you really want to fork out

If your car has not had any previous body work. or chips away repairs (which may have used cellulose based paints or aerosols). You can wipe down the body with cellulose thinners (from halfords etc ), this should soften (let it work for a minute) and remove the paint blobs before it hardens (unless its hammerite ). DO NOT use celly thinner on any unpainted plastic or rubber!! - it will melt it!

T-cut will break down and remove fresh paint, actually its quite good at it. Before the ***** harp on, yes it's an abrasive blah blah yadda yadda, but mopping the body is too as is using some consumer polishes, which will do no harm. As long as you don't concentrate too heavily in one spot, you'll never burn through in a million years, unless you have some previous bodywork done which has been done badly.

Final course of action is mopping with a fine grade cutting compound. It can be done by hand but it's hard work.

Glass can be fetch up quite easily with the clay bar. Alternatively if that or thinner don't work, it can be done with very fine wire wool (wash off afterwards to prevent rust marks). Or preferably use a 3m scotch-brite fine or ultra fine nylon abrasive hand pad (again halfords in the body prep/paint section - bit like a nylon scouring pad, just not as agressive, good for removing blobs of metal off alloy wheels too ), use a bit of water for lube, and don't bear too heavily.

Last edited by Shark Man; 06 October 2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06 October 2006, 10:08 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info lads........ will give it a go,still having a go at the company to see if they will cover it,but looking very doubtfull.... another guy had his porker 968 damaged when someone backed nto the front of it... been quoted over a grand to repair and he has been told the same Tough!!
Old 08 October 2006, 03:13 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Well to the guys that sugested a clay bar
worked a treat on the paint,and did the whole car whilst i was at it.... couldnt believe the ammount of crap that came off only washed it yesterday and honestly thought it was clean...... if anyone hasnt used one id deff recc using one to see how much crap is removed and leaves a brillintly shiney finish.... best £12 ive spent in a long time
Old 08 October 2006, 04:18 PM
Ste_TYPE-R
Scooby Regular

worked a treat on the paint,and did the whole car whilst i was at it.... couldnt believe the ammount of crap that came off only washed it yesterday and honestly thought it was clean...... if anyone hasnt used one id deff recc using one to see how much crap is removed and leaves a brillintly shiney finish.... best £12 ive spent in a long time

Glad to hear the clay worked m8
Old 08 October 2006, 05:03 PM
Topbombingkid
Scooby Regular

Use G3 cutting compound cost about £10 and will take any overspray off. I use it all the time on projects great stuff. You can buy it from most car paint suppliers and its even on fleebay
Old 08 October 2006, 06:48 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to polish and wax afterwards

It amazing how many people don't realise how much ingrained fall out their is on their car intil they use a cutting compound or clay bar. Paunt should feel as smooth as glass, if it doesn't, then it needs alot more elbow grease

Last edited by Shark Man; 08 October 2006 at 06:51 PM.