Euro import vs UK - differences + buying s/h

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2006, 01:50 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Euro import vs UK - differences + buying s/h

Hi All.

Although I had an MY98 turbo wagon for 3 years, and then a bugeye WRX for 3 years I've strayed away from the Scooby club for 3 years. But now it's time to return!!

I'm looking at getting an STi this time round, and I'm hoping to go for an MY06 2.5l as these seem to be going for around £19k for a UK model at the moment. I can't quite stretch to the £21k needed for a new Euro STi unfortunately :-(

I have no problem buying a second hand Euro import, but how do I tell when I go for a viewing whether a car is a genuine UK car or a UK-spec Euro import? Is there anything visible, or is it a case of checking paperwork?

Another question about the actual mechanics of buying a s/h car. I have to come clean here and say it is 16 years since I last bought a s/hand car as I've always been lucky enough to have brand new company cars - so don't laugh too loudly at my question :-)

What is the accepted way of handing over the dosh these days? My on-line bank doesn't supply banker's drafts, so is a cash/cheque deposit and then electronic fund transfers acceptable to private sellers? Or, what do others do?

Many thanks - and I can't wait to be back behind the wheel of a Scooby again!!
Old 06 October 2006, 02:25 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Euro imports wont have side air bags and I think the service book with be stamped at the country of origin for the pre inspection!

Good luck
Old 06 October 2006, 02:33 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Yes, the service book will give it away. Stamped with Malta/Cyprus or whatever.

Use the search function, and you'll find plenty of threads on EU vs UK differences.

BUT, don't be put off by the scaremongering (is that a word?) bullsh!t. It's chinese whispers being spread on here and only a few comments are true, but they're all the good things.

EU = saving.
Old 06 October 2006, 03:41 PM
dave_sw1
Scooby Regular

Default :)

My EU import does have side airbags, its just an option that some do and some don't have, but as stated above, the pdi first inspection will have subaru liaco or subaru cyprus stamp on it, service book is the clue, log book does not say anything about cars origin.
Old 06 October 2006, 03:47 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Use the search function, and you'll find plenty of threads on EU vs UK differences.
Yes - I have been using the search, but perhaps not as thoroughly as I should have done!

Am I right in having worked out that you cannot get a PPP fitted in the UK to a non UK car? I guess I'm not quite confident to go down the after-market mod route yet and a PPP is a known entity.

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
BUT, don't be put off by the scaremongering (is that a word?) bullsh!t. It's chinese whispers being spread on here and only a few comments are true, but they're all the good things.

EU = saving.
No, not put off! My starting point was to get an EU import WRX but then I saw an MY06 STi Type UK on pistonheads for £19k and thought "hmm, why not".

I suspect that, in the end, I'll end up with an MY04 or MY05 STi...but the 2.5l engine is very tempting!
Old 06 October 2006, 03:48 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by Arronb
Euro imports wont have side air bags and I think the service book with be stamped at the country of origin for the pre inspection!

Good luck
I thought side airbags depended on the seats it came with, and some Euro cars had them and some not?
Old 06 October 2006, 04:09 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
I thought side airbags depended on the seats it came with, and some Euro cars had them and some not?
No STI's EU or UK have side airbags as far AFAIK (unless they have added them for the MY06)

EU WRX's can have either buckets or "wide load" air bag seats

Some EU STI's came without the DCCD I think also.

EU - No tracker,alarm and locking wheel nuts - the rest should be the same aprt fom the DCCD issue above.

Trending Topics

Old 09 October 2006, 12:01 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
EU - No tracker,alarm and locking wheel nuts - the rest should be the same aprt fom the DCCD issue above.
...and mats.

Tim, i don't know about the PPP, it's a mixed bbag about can it, can't it be fitted to an EU. I wasn't interested in a generic map, so went the after-market route, was the best thing i've done. It's superb! The other packages i'm sure are as good.