ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Air Ambulances at work.

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 12:40 AM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ambulances at work.

Recently there have been many people who have had the work of the air ambulance service brought to their attention through Richard Hammond's accident and the subsequent media coverage. At the weekend I was unfortunate enough to be in the position of seeing their work in person. At one of the Downhill mountain bike events a friend of mine crashed badly and was suspected to have fractured her pelvis. The work of the air ambulance was fantastic. Quick and efficient they made sure that my friend was as comfortable as possible and transferred her to the nearest hospital where she was checked out. luckily there was no serious damage but they were so good in dealing with her and helping the pain that I urge anyone that has not done so to donate to the Air Ambulance service. Although having made a donation earlier I have now doubled that. Seeing any paramedic work is an inspiring sight but I only hope that none of you are ever in the position to need their services for real.

Many thanks...
Old 12 October 2006, 12:54 PM
wakko
Scooby Regular

Paramedics and people like them are the real heros. Not bloody football players, pop singers, actors etc.

Support your local Air Ambulance because without it they wouldn't exist.
Old 12 October 2006, 04:49 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say we are heros....just doing what we're paid to. Thanks for the kind words though - it makes a change from being called worse than sh*t from our usual customers
Old 12 October 2006, 04:56 PM
LuvScoobydoo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wakko
Paramedics and people like them are the real heros. Not bloody football players, pop singers, actors etc.
I must agree whole heartedly! I get so tired of these celebrities being 'role models' when its people like this or teachers or policemen, etc who should be making the 'big bucks'!
Old 12 October 2006, 05:13 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

My old man was a fireman for 28yrs. Occassionally people said thanks when he saved their lives, other days he was having bricks chucked at him by little b*stards when he put out the cars they'd torched. He's covered in scars and can hardly walk some days when his old injuries play up. He got medals and put them in a drawer, he's seen some of the worst things imaginable. He got about £15k a year for it and went back day after day.

Role models, celebrities, hero's ??????? Who's gonna cut people out when they wrap it round a lampost - David Beckham, Gordon Ramsay, some bloke from X-Factor

Ive only just come to realise the things he did to keep a roof over my head.

Sorry to be serious, but its a touchy subject.
Old 12 October 2006, 08:38 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

respect where respect's due, doing Downhill I see the medics turning up so ferquently to races but this is the first time that someone I know well has been needing the help. My friend was in utter agony with a suspected cracked pelvis and the way they treated her was first class. They were just as good at keeping her mum informed with what was happened. if any of you are paramedics this is just to say that to those of us who race, your efforts do not go unnoticed! Thanks.