Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My Scoob is unwell - Advice pl-e-a-s-e !!

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2006, 12:22 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Scoob is unwell - Advice pl-e-a-s-e !!

Went on a short 4 mile trip last night and as I got towards my house (still driving, and yes, forwards). I was able to smell a strong stink of petrol coming through the vents into the passenger compartment. Went outside the car on stopping and couldn't smell anything outside and could see no fuel leak under the car ( phew !). Drove it to work today, longer trip and the only smell was my own BO.

Any thoughts as to the likely cause and whether its safe to drive until i can get it booked into a garage next week ? Is this more likely to be a burst fuel hose or simply unburnt fuel ?

I did a search, one of the lads here suggested to check the fuel rails next to the manifold. I note also that 02 WRX's (mine's an 01 WRX, remapped)
had a common defect where 2 fuel pipes were replaced under the engine compartment.

Any opinions gratefully received !!

Andy
Old 30 October 2006, 12:27 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Try spraying unleaded petrol on your armpits, this will mask your BO and the smell of petrol coming from the air vents. You will also save money on expensive deodorants!
Old 30 October 2006, 02:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Went on a short 4 mile trip last night and as I got towards my house (still driving, and yes, forwards). I was able to smell a strong stink of petrol coming through the vents into the passenger compartment. Went outside the car on stopping and couldn't smell anything outside and could see no fuel leak under the car ( phew !). Drove it to work today, longer trip and the only smell was my own BO.

Any thoughts as to the likely cause and whether its safe to drive until i can get it booked into a garage next week ? Is this more likely to be a burst fuel hose or simply unburnt fuel ?

I did a search, one of the lads here suggested to check the fuel rails next to the manifold. I note also that 02 WRX's (mine's an 01 WRX, remapped)
had a common defect where 2 fuel pipes were replaced under the engine compartment.

Any opinions gratefully received !!

Andy
Andy,

Cold nite, short trip, sounds to me like the car was just running rich as it was warming up. Mine stinks of petrol when I first start in having been left in the cold for a while. I doubt this is anything to worry about if there is not obvious sign of a leak and particularly if the smell isn't present when the car is warm or not been left in the cold for ages. If I understand correctly, all scoobies, particularly the ones with decats and remaps stink a bit when first settting off.

If in doubt get it checked though, can't hurt!
Regards,

Ns04
Old 30 October 2006, 03:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Andy,

Cold nite, short trip, sounds to me like the car was just running rich as it was warming up. Mine stinks of petrol when I first start in having been left in the cold for a while. I doubt this is anything to worry about if there is not obvious sign of a leak and particularly if the smell isn't present when the car is warm or not been left in the cold for ages. If I understand correctly, all scoobies, particularly the ones with decats and remaps stink a bit when first settting off.

Regards,

Ns04
Cheers for puting my mind at rest New Scoob !

Andy
Old 30 October 2006, 03:21 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

can of spare juice in the boot maybe. I could always smell mine when i first got into the car.
Rich
Old 30 October 2006, 03:27 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Mines the same now the cooler weathers aproaching. Nothing to worry about mate.
Old 30 October 2006, 03:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Andy,

Regards,

Ns04
nail on head
Old 30 October 2006, 03:50 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Andy my tip is ;

When looking for fuel leaks in the dark dont use your *** lighter to see what ur doing!!!

seriously tho. mine smelt of optimax all the time (just worse in the cold).
Old 30 October 2006, 07:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks. Anyway, where's Simon ?