ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DCCD on 06STi

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2006, 05:28 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DCCD on 06STi

Right, silly question, but for general driving, does everyone leave it on auto, or can you feel any difference by altering it. I know there would be differences on a track, but what about normal driving.
Old 30 October 2006, 08:00 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
Right, silly question, but for general driving, does everyone leave it on auto, or can you feel any difference by altering it. I know there would be differences on a track, but what about normal driving.
I do alter sometimes

On Auto and medium speed . it's transition whilst cornering feels a bit notchy !! going round the corner like a thrupenny bit but on manual fully open its feel smoother but or it maybe just me

Auto works really well at lower speeds in tight twisties makes the car feel more agile.

Manual seems to work better at higher speeds long corners etc

IMHO
Old 30 October 2006, 09:22 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I've been wondering about this since getting my Sti in March

I generally leave it in auto.
Old 30 October 2006, 09:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I always have it set with the Torque to the rear most setting.

It's just what you feel comfortable with. In the wet I prefer knowing where most of the power is coming from, rather than some computer suddenly shoving 50% of the power to either the front or rear.

I've also found that the rear tyres wear quicker (more in line with the front) when it's set in rear most position.

Again, it comes down to whats comfortable in your own mind, and thus gives you confidence when driving.

It probably make no difference in normal daily driving though.

Last edited by stilover; 31 October 2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 30 October 2006, 11:46 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Glad I've got a 03sti then, one less thing to worry about

dipster
Old 31 October 2006, 10:49 AM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Auto 99.9% of the time...only put it in manual and wound down to green when doing full lock turns at 1mph to 5mph stops the wheels hopping on the tarmac...
Old 31 October 2006, 11:06 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
I have hardly fiddled with it in my O6 Spec D but certainly found in my WR1 it made little difference on the road.

I did let the driver I work with do a track familiarisation in the WR1 at Donington and at the end of the session whilst I was a passenger he suggested we play with the diff and see what difference it made. Under these conditions it made a marked difference to the balance of the car that I could clearly feel from the passeger seat. It changed from predominantly understeer to one of oversteer as I think you would expect. He was provoking the car rather than trying for a laptime to highlight the difference the diff made. It was also interesting how it affected the ability to hold the car in a four wheeled drift. Obviously not something to be tried on the public road or by an average driver - I certainly wont be provoking my 06 like that when I do take it on the track as I know it would end in tears.....

Robin
Old 31 October 2006, 11:15 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i tend to leave it in auto, its annoying if its in manual at lower speeds, the clunking intially makes me think the car is about to break, but then common sense kicks in, but the shock is enough for me to opt for auto most of the time.
In the wet i am more likely to use the manual setting, one click to the rear, helps dial out any understeer on roundabouts or tight bends. With the standards of roads getting worse in the uk, and more standing water about i find the manual setting easier to live with, if pushing it a little in the wet.

I can definately feel a difference from a manual setting to the auto (computer do what you want) setting, but i will have to try out more of the settings to see what differences it makes on the same stretch of road!
Old 31 October 2006, 01:40 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
Auto 99.9% of the time...only put it in manual and wound down to green when doing full lock turns at 1mph to 5mph stops the wheels hopping on the tarmac...
Thanks mate, thats exactly what I was trying to get rid of, Tried it this morning and alot better wound down to green. Cheers for the comments guys.