Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Decat centre section for JDM STi?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2006, 05:32 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Decat centre section for JDM STi?

I have a milltek 2.75" (I think its 2.75" anyway!) backbox on my MY05 JDM STi and have the option of a decat centre section, which I'm told will fit the backbox (obviously!) and the standard fit downpipe.

Is it worth fitting? What are the advantages and disadvantages (other than failing emissions tests)?
Old 31 October 2006, 06:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its unlikely to fail if the std. downpipe is still in place. Remember that a New Age JDM uses a three section exhaust (simlar to a Classic's); not a four section one as fitted to Euro cars.

Simon
Old 31 October 2006, 07:59 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i thought the earlier models only have a cat in the down pipe?
Old 31 October 2006, 08:21 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Originally Posted by pippyrips
i thought the earlier models only have a cat in the down pipe?
By earlier are you referring to the classic, or the MY05? I'm assuming the former since MY05 doesn't seem "early" to me!!

My recollection of my MY98 is that it had two cats, but it's quite a while ago that I had it. I didn't play around with it much, apart from the headlight bulbs (Xenon bulbs when they were really quite a new thing) and geometry (Prodrive settings - what a difference!).

So if I fit the decat section, will it be any noisier? Will I get any power increase without a remap? Will I get any power increase with a remap? Or is it only any real value if I replace the lot and get a remap to T20 spec?
Old 31 October 2006, 08:41 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim hardisty
By earlier are you referring to the classic, or the MY05? I'm assuming the former since MY05 doesn't seem "early" to me!!

My recollection of my MY98 is that it had two cats, but it's quite a while ago that I had it. I didn't play around with it much, apart from the headlight bulbs (Xenon bulbs when they were really quite a new thing) and geometry (Prodrive settings - what a difference!).

So if I fit the decat section, will it be any noisier? Will I get any power increase without a remap? Will I get any power increase with a remap? Or is it only any real value if I replace the lot and get a remap to T20 spec?

mine is an 04 jdm sti will full milltek system supplied and fitted by powerstation. I may well be worng but i'm sure all i have is a sports cat in the down pipe

one thing to remember even the full milltek system isn't that noisy compared to most out there. Mine only really comes alive when you give it the beans - round town it's quiet which tbh is probably a good thing

Last edited by pippyrips; 31 October 2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 31 October 2006, 08:49 PM
TimH
Orange Club

I find the back box is reasonably quiet, but over the weekend with a full boot, wife and two kids (away for weekend) it was quite boomy at low revs. Not objectionable, but noticeable - and noisier than when I drive on my own for some reason!

I have always thought WRX exhausts had two cats, and always thought the main one was in the downpipe with a secondary in the centre section, but JDM's are new to me so I'm really unsure about it all.

I'll phone Powerstation in the next few days and see what they have to say.
Old 01 November 2006, 01:15 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tim hardisty

UK classics had two cats (downpipe and centre section). JDMs had one cat in the downpipe.