Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
View Poll Results: Do I take this to court and offer mitigation ?
Yes
69.57%
No
30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Is it worth going to Court over this ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2006, 09:27 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it worth going to Court over this ?

Got a NIP for doing 42 in a 30.

Situation was that I was driving my wife home from hospital after invasive surgery that had required her to be given Morphine painkillers. It should have been only a two hour drive home but due to parts of the route being potholed / poorly maintained I had to take a good section of it slower than I would normally.

I got within 40 miles of home and the painkillers had started to wear off and she was bleeding quite badly from the incisions.

She was crying in pain.

I hold my hands up and admit I was over the limit but I wanted to get home ASAP in order to call NHS direct for advice (Which I did and they advised a dissolvable codis 500 - then see Dr next day if no improvement)

I see on the NIP that I can offer up mitigating circumstances which I believe I have in these conditions. I was not going significantly faster than the traffic on the road at the time and was acutely aware of avoiding poor sections of road and was also making sure that I would not put myself into a position where I had to brake sharply in any way, shape or form.

Do I contest ?
Old 31 October 2006, 09:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I doubt it'll stand up when your saying your rushing your wife home from hospital

Perhaps if you did a U turn to rush her back to hospital instead, that may have held water.

Or lets put it another way, can you afford to lose? And can you afford the wasted time and money in taking it to court?
Old 31 October 2006, 09:34 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Worth a try...
Old 31 October 2006, 09:35 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Yes deffo worth a try
Old 31 October 2006, 09:37 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I doubt it'll stand up when your saying your rushing your wife home from hospital

Perhaps if you did a U turn to rush her back to hospital instead, that may have held water.

Or lets put it another way, can you afford to lose? And can you afford the wasted time and money in taking it to court?
Thing is - It was a private hospital and they had discharged her which effectively means she is no longer under their care - they had no obligation to assist, also I had covered 3/4 of the journey home in mileage - It was not viable to do a U - Ey
Old 31 October 2006, 09:44 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

If your wife was bleeding heavily then i would have taken her to straight back to the hospital from where she came, as they have obviously not looked after her properly or failing that striaght to casulty, not home to ring NHS direct

And for your info if you do goto court and lose they can add 1 extra point on their so you will end up with 4 points
Old 31 October 2006, 10:01 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dazza01
If your wife was bleeding heavily then i would have taken her to straight back to the hospital from where she came, as they have obviously not looked after her properly or failing that striaght to casulty, not home to ring NHS direct

And for your info if you do goto court and lose they can add 1 extra point on their so you will end up with 4 points
Dazza - I couldn't take her back to the original hospital - we were so far away from that establishment it was not funny. we still had 40 ish miles to get back to WGC - I didn't know of any hospitals on the way and my wife was pleading for me to get her home - TBH I was in a bit of a panic.
Old 31 October 2006, 10:05 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods

Dazza - I couldn't take her back to the original hospital - we were so far away from that establishment it was not funny. we still had 40 ish miles to get back to WGC - I didn't know of any hospitals on the way and my wife was pleading for me to get her home - TBH I was in a bit of a panic.

Well tbh in that case sir, i would have hit the 999 button, better safe than sorry, as for the court its 50/50 you may get an understanding judge but you may get a right biatch who just won't listen.
Old 31 October 2006, 10:10 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

mst agree with dazza, i sympathise utterly with your predicament but dont think your argument would stand up in court for a second.

sorry, much as it pains I would just accept it.
Old 31 October 2006, 10:14 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Just to add, hope the Mrs is all better now tho
Old 31 October 2006, 10:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Got a NIP for doing 42 in a 30.

Situation was that I was driving my wife home from hospital after invasive surgery that had required her to be given Morphine painkillers. It should have been only a two hour drive home but due to parts of the route being potholed / poorly maintained I had to take a good section of it slower than I would normally.

I got within 40 miles of home and the painkillers had started to wear off and she was bleeding quite badly from the incisions.

She was crying in pain.

I hold my hands up and admit I was over the limit but I wanted to get home ASAP in order to call NHS direct for advice (Which I did and they advised a dissolvable codis 500 - then see Dr next day if no improvement)

I see on the NIP that I can offer up mitigating circumstances which I believe I have in these conditions. I was not going significantly faster than the traffic on the road at the time and was acutely aware of avoiding poor sections of road and was also making sure that I would not put myself into a position where I had to brake sharply in any way, shape or form.

Do I contest ?
In my opinion; thats a good reason. Whether you can establish this in court is another matter. A letter from your wifes consultant or GP would go a long way to supporting your claim though. Im assuming that this is true rather than a convenient excuse...?

Simon
Old 31 October 2006, 11:12 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Try asking on here: 5ive-o - Powered by vBulletin

there's a few Magistrates on there that might be able to help you
Old 31 October 2006, 11:27 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GC8
In my opinion; thats a good reason. Whether you can establish this in court is another matter. A letter from your wifes consultant or GP would go a long way to supporting your claim though. Im assuming that this is true rather than a convenient excuse...?

Simon

Simon - It is 100% the truth and I can absolutely prove the matter.
Steve Scooby - thanks for the link, Have Joined and will ask as soon as Mods enable my account.
Old 31 October 2006, 11:46 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Where you stopped?

Did you hand your licence over?

Would get the letters and then see what they state, but the questions are to just see if you were stopped and handed licence over, if so you have accepted the guilty plea, there and then by handing over licence.

Never hand it over (this is to one and all) just say not got it on you, the Police can check if you have one over radio.

You have a slight case still, but will depend on JP's on the day and could cost you more money and an extra point.
Old 31 October 2006, 11:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin-STI
Where you stopped?

Did you hand your licence over?

Would get the letters and then see what they state, but the questions are to just see if you were stopped and handed licence over, if so you have accepted the guilty plea, there and then by handing over licence.

Never hand it over (this is to one and all) just say not got it on you, the Police can check if you have one over radio.

You have a slight case still, but will depend on JP's on the day and could cost you more money and an extra point.

Wasn't stopped.

Money isn't the issue really - If I go and fail to make my point it'll be £1000 I guess but it is the principle of the thing. I WASN't driving dangerously. I WAS travelling roughly the same speed as other traffic on the road.
My wife was in severe pain and was bleeding - I am going to have my day in court. To be honest if it weren't for the fact that driving faster caused more pain i'd have had the thing red lined where possible.
Old 01 November 2006, 12:02 AM
scoobywrxuk300
Scooby Regular

Simon - It is 100% the truth and I can absolutely prove the matter.
Steve Scooby - thanks for the link, Have Joined and will ask as soon as Mods enable my account.
It will be down to the magistrate on the day fella, in my opinion, they will prob say the limit is the limit, and set for a reason...! I think they will deem you as being thoughtful for your missis, but careless towards others on the road, pedestrians etc...

you had your prioritys right, and seeing some of the idiots in my town, ragging 80mph plus up the towns main street on a fri + sat night i can sympathyse with you..!

Go armed with as much proof as you can, yes sir no sir the magistrate and appeal to them...

good luck whatever you decide and hope your mrs is ok now
Old 01 November 2006, 12:06 AM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

Jods personally I would go to court to.

Just get the evidence and take your wife to.

Good luck mate and hope it works out. Also hope wife is 100% now.
Old 01 November 2006, 12:12 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As above mate, and good luck, I would have done the same and would every time again and again untill I lost my licence, to me its a common sense thing but I will wait for a shoot down straight away