Help! Car smashed up on track

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2001, 12:37 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Hi Guys,

Had a shocking week, crashed my car on track on Monday(Integra Type R - please no 4wd jokes). Its done a lot of damage (approx 9k on a 11k car). I had no extra cover, but have been allowed to claim at the moment on my regular insurance - they spoke to the underwriters who said they would consider the case.

I dont hold out much hope on it, so if they say no, I will have to sell the car. The engine is totally undamaged, its just the bodywork thats trashed.

Does anyone know who or where or how you sell a smashed up car?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any help/pointers appreciated!

I am no running around in a Metro AUTO, good god.

Andy
Old 23 November 2001, 12:49 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
salvage section of the autotrader can be used for this, if insurance does NOT pay out it will not be on hpi, so someome may want to buy it to repair which they could then sell for full retail.

(unless they speak to you first)

or someone may want it for parts.

sorry to hear of your incident, hope it gets sorted.
you could always try braking it and putting the parts for sale on http://www.honda-r.org.uk/ that way you'll know it wont be repaired and sold or a straight one is stolen for a cut n shut (they might nick a straight one and put you vin number on that).

If you do sell it complete, make sure receipt states that the vehicle was damaged etc and that the buyer was well aware of this get him to sign both copies of receipt, let him have one copy.
you keep yours in case of any possible motor fraud (digi cam pic of the car wouldnt go a miss as well).

this just covers your backside in case anything might go wrong.

just call me captain cautious.
Old 23 November 2001, 12:52 PM
Matt_H
Scooby Regular

Red face

Saw your car mate...was there on monday (silver WRX) wasnt driving
just passengering in dads cerbera and mates golf.
hope you get it all sorted out.
What happened?..people were talking about it, like they do..but no
one I spoke to really new. Was it at St.Marys?

Matt.
Old 23 November 2001, 01:40 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

St Marys indeed.

In all honesty Im not sure what happened, I guess I just got too confident, I was havnig a storming day and had only been passed once by the guy in the 911 c2. I think the weight transfer between the 2 corners pulled the back end out. I caught it, but then it tail whipped me onto the grass, and that was it.

Andy
Old 23 November 2001, 01:46 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

At worst you could always get an older Integra imported job for about 3k and swap the bits over.....

There are always a few on the online auctions.
Old 23 November 2001, 01:57 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

call Andy Robinson on 01670 520493 or 07773 767481,he buys accident damaged cars.

edit:he has a website too,think it's www.arobinsonautocentre.co.uk

[Edited by T-uk - 11/23/2001 2:21:00 PM]
Old 23 November 2001, 02:17 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Not much help but what about taking the engine out and putting it in a mini. Great fun.

Dan
Old 23 November 2001, 02:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your car.

To echo what PTHolt said, do get seller to sign. Also, don't use a digital camera if you take pics, as the law is a tad grey about digital pictures at the moment....

Nick.
Old 23 November 2001, 02:22 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Unless your written insurance policy specifically EXCLUDES taking your car on a track day, then legally you're covered.
As long as there was no official timing, racing or speed testing you should be alright. Some policies do exclude track days but not many. If you call them and ask if you're covered to go on track they will of course say no, but it's what's on your policy that counts. If necessary seek legal advice. Don't give up.

Stef.
Old 23 November 2001, 02:29 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

I'll echo Stefs comments. Direct Line for instance do not exclude trackdays as far as I can see. They do exclude airfield days ("Places where aircraft are normally operating") and timed events.

Bri
Old 23 November 2001, 03:47 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

I have a friendly lawyer friend so will probably consult, you lot are getting my hopes up a bit, but I want to keep them low incase!

Ill let you know what happens, if they cough up I might join the scoooby gang, unless the Insurers specify I buy another Teg. the problem is ofcourse that I lose my claims and am only 25 so next time theyll really hit me, cheaper than no insurance!
Old 23 November 2001, 04:19 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Be nice if you could let us know what your brief thinks.
I've a pal who is currently considering an appeal to the Insurance Ombudsman.
(mail direct if you prefer)

B
Old 23 November 2001, 04:32 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Oh right - a similar situation to me?
Old 23 November 2001, 04:57 PM
Darkside
Scooby Newbie

Would recommend that if the insurance company do not pay out that you could sell it for a lot more than your average scrapper, since it will not be registered on the HPI VCAR!

I know someone who once bought a car to do up in exactly that state....

Your comment about 4WD - 4WD does NOT make you invincible, I have seen as many Imprezas mashed off country roads as all other cars put together!
food for thought.
Old 24 November 2001, 12:39 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

you could use a digital camera if you print the results on photo quality paper from a decent printer

you could also get purchaser to sign that the picture was an accurate representation.
Old 24 November 2001, 10:19 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

You may be interested to read the following which has been lifted from the insurance ombudsman site http://www.theiob.org.uk/bulletins/bulletin21/section10.html

21.10 97/23919

Motor – exclusion for racing – whether use on a race track excluded.

The policyholder insured his motorcycle. The policy stated that "the insurer shall not be liable whilst the insured motorcycle is: (a) engaged in racing or pace-making, any trial or speed contest, competition or rally."

The policyholder participated in a Track Attack Bike Night at Donnington Park Circuit in August 1997. He sought advice from his broker beforehand and they concluded that the exclusion would not apply to such an event. Whilst riding at approximately 60mph, the policyholder’s rear wheel lost grip and the motorcycle was damaged. No other vehicle was involved. The insurer rejected the policyholder’s claim on the ground that there was no cover in force whilst the vehicle was driven on a race track.

Complaint upheld

We concluded that the insurer’s rejection of the claim was not supported by anything in the policy wording. The insurer’s argument that any use on a race track was a form of racing could not be accepted. It would not be realistic to describe a motorcycle which was being ridden as part of a slow-moving carnival procession as being used for "a form of racing", even though this took place on a race track.

The evidence from the organisers of the event, which was not contradicted, showed that the participants did not engage in any of the activities listed in the exclusion. The event was intended to "allow the participants to have fully supervised access to Donnington Park track on their own machines." The riders were not timed, not awarded any positions and were encouraged to go at their own pace and within the limits of themselves and their machines. The riding of participants was observed by on-circuit instructors/marshalls, trackside marshalls and was also monitored via a number of CCTV cameras.

The policyholder was not travelling at an excessively high speed and the damage to his motorcycle seemed to have resulted from an accident which could just as easily have happened on the public highway. Therefore the insurer was asked to meet the claim in respect of the cost of recovering and repairing the motorcycle.
Old 24 November 2001, 11:55 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

My lovely car! Cant beleive its totally buggared, on the face of it its only damaged down the one side, but the quote is 9k
Old 24 November 2001, 12:48 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

"a similar situation to me?"

ADP almost identical m8, except that it's hit on the left!

Kryten thanks for that I'll pass the details on.

B
Old 24 November 2001, 02:24 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

How does the insurance ombudsman work then?

Does it cost? Do I just call them up and let them know my case? The motorbike case seemed very similar to mine, if they won they I should have a resonable chance

Old 24 November 2001, 03:13 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to here about your accident. Hope the Insurance sorts it out for you.

Jon Hill also owns a Teg and had similar damage at Donnington in August, it might be worth trying to get in touch, for estimates etc.
Old 24 November 2001, 04:54 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yes, I would get some more quotes. If that's 9k's worth of damage the whole car must be worth about 50k! Is it mechanically sound still? The roof doesn't look creased, the bonnet looks salvageable, and the sills look pretty OK (can't really tell from the pics). The wheels look like they're still pointing in roughly the right direction (hopefully you haven't bent any suspension bits).

Where did Michelle1994WRX get her car fixed? Hers was pretty badly damaged.
Old 24 November 2001, 08:03 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Well apparently it isnt so much the parts cost, though they are in the thousands, its the man hours involved. The Honda parts cost a mint, there are some huge panels on and a lot of plastic parts too. The Recaros have basically snapped sideways and there is a small crease near the roof on the other side. Basically it has to be stripped and put on a jig. There are no shells available for these now either!
Old 24 November 2001, 08:49 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Recaro's are £1500 each i think !!!! Crikey
Old 26 November 2001, 10:10 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Honda charge £700 plus VAT for a Recaro.