Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza P1 - Greatest Ever Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2006, 02:06 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza P1 - Greatest Ever Subaru?

Apologies if this is a repost.

Here is a review that was linked on another forum. It was written in February this year, so pretty up to date regarding the latest cars from the Subaru stable.

'Although the exotic 22B will always be the ultimate collectors Impreza, much debate rages about what is in fact the best Impreza ever. There are proponents for the special edition RB5 model but most votes would be cast in the direction of the P1, a two-door model developed by Prodrive to counter the threat of grey import cars from Japan and to offer European customers an official and very special Impreza of their own. It wasnt around for long, it received rave reviews and it has gained a cult status, so dont expect to find P1s cheap, but track down a decent example and youll have a car that could well be a modern classic.

Developed as a joint venture between the Japanese factory, Oxfordshire-based Prodrive the people who helped Subaru to international rally success and Subaru (UK), the P1 (Prodrive One) was offered only as a two-door saloon with a revised version of the rally-going engine with recalibrated electronic controls to develop no less than 280bhp, 69bhp more than the standard Impreza Turbo. Combine that with a big-bore exhaust, quick-shift gear linkage, 17-inch titanium-finish alloy wheels and freshly tweaked suspension, and youve got the fundamentals of something rather special. Subaru (UK) had two clear goals when developing the new P1. One was to make the top Impreza faster than the Lancer Evo VI produced by Mitsubishi, also highly renowned for its international rally successes.

The second was to win back buyers whod deserted Subarus official dealer network to buy more powerful Japanese-market specification Imprezas from grey importers. At the time of launch, this fastest-ever Impreza enjoyed official factory status and was supplied with a factory-backed three-year, 60,000 mile warranty. The P1 was only ever offered in Sonic Blue, a colour similar to the World Rally cars, and the eagle-eyed will notice detail differences from the cooking Impreza Turbo such as the front and rear spoilers styled by McLaren F1 designer Peter Stevens. The mirrors, door handles and side skirts are colour-matched to the body and the way ahead is lit by huge Hella 90mm driving lamps, again from the rally car.

A rear window wiper on a saloon is an unusual but welcome feature. The main interior changes of note for the P1 were superb Recaro front seats which locate the driver an inch or two lower than in the Turbo, grey suede-effect trim plus Prodrive-badged floor and boot mats. Original buyers got six speakers but had to choose and pay extra for their own sound system. Air conditioning was standard and, given the popularity of the standard Turbo with the light-fingered, it was as well that the P1 had a full Thatcham Grade One alarm and immobiliser.

If youre prepared to buy a less than perfect, high mileage example, youll find P1s starting from around £10,500 for a serviceable model. As with any car that attains cult status, mileage and condition are paramount and with the car only being built for a year, the better the condition the more youll pay. A typical 70,000 mile car will retail at around £12,500, one with around 45,000 miles showing £15,000 and a 20,000 mile minter will be around £19,500, reflecting the esteem in which this model is still held. Insurance is often a loaded Group 20 and insurers may insist on additional security devices being fitted before cover is granted.

Although Subaru have developed an almost peerless reputation for reliability, the P1 isnt without its foibles. Before we delve a little deeper into the cars quirks, there are some big issues that will need addressing. The first is to make sure that that the car you are looking at is a P1. There have been cases of people dressing imported Impreza Type Rs up as P1s and passing them off at a profit, so check for all the tricky to alter details such as the stamp on the suspension strut that reads Subaru UK.

If it has a Fuji Heavy Industries stamp, you could well be looking at a ringer. Secondly, invest in a full inspection and HPI check. Because of their high resale value, its often economical to put a badly crashed P1 back on the road where a less valuable WRX STi would be written off. Lastly, get an insurance quote before you go.

If youre young, you may struggle to get cover at all. The P1 is a solid piece of engineering but typical faults include failing rear dampers and warped front brake discs. A brake upgrade is one of the first things many P1 owners invest in and its well worth it if youre going to extract maximum benefit from this amazing car. The alarm bracket in the engine bay is prone to failure, creating a distinctive rattle and the paint on the rear wing frequently bubbles.

The alloy wheels are very susceptible to kerb damage and very few P1s will have escaped some sort of front spoiler/tarmac moment, often when negotiating driveways or multi story car park ramps. Remember that the P1 likes the best grade unleaded you can find and does not respond favourably to a splash of 95RON.

(2001 Impreza P1 approx.) Routine services will add up to around £450 and are due every 7,500 miles. A brake upgrade tends to run to around £1,200 for all four wheels and the most popular replacement tyres, the Toyo Proxes T1, will be just over £100 a corner. Minor accident damage isnt too expensive, with a new wing and door with painting and fitting adding up to almost £1,000 but watch out for that aluminium bonnet.

Thats a very expensive piece of gear.

Performance is as strong as youd expect from a car that packed a claimed 280bhp and weighed just 1,295kg. To put that into perspective, a current Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec weighs a good deal more. Many owners who subsequently dyno tested their cars found that the P1 was in fact churning out a figure closer to 300bhp.

Small wonder that it was so devastatingly quick cross country. The manufacturer figures of a sprint to 60mph in 4.7 seconds and a top speed of 155mph in no way communicate how apocalyptically rapid the P1 feels when the turbocharger comes on stream, all four tyres hook up, the steering weights up beautifully and the car slides all four wheels apiece at a tiny slip angle out of your favourite corner. Its completely addictive.

The P1 retains the standard Impreza Turbos drivetrain that normally proportions that 280bhp 60/40 between the front and rear wheels. When the going gets sticky, though, it sends the power to the wheels with the best grip. The engines response is benign when pottering about town but the suspension feels firm over typical urban surfaces, only really coming into its stride when the car is flying like a skimming stone. The P1 appreciates being picked up by the scruff of its neck and flung at a set of bends, the damping feeling perfectly attuned to speeds that may well get you locked up on a typical British B-road.

The two-door shell is based on the stiffened WRX rally car body and has been further strengthened by such means as a solid rear bulkhead. All that provides an extremely rigid platform on which to mount completely revised suspension. The Prodrive engineers sorted through 22 different suspension and steering specifications before selecting what they reckon is the ideal set-up for razor-sharp handling and limpet-like grip in a car that will still be comfortable over long distances. Torque, the engines pulling power, has also been increased substantially from 214lb/ft to 260lb/ft, at the same 4,000 rpm.

Though that seems a high torque peak on paper, the spread of mid-range punch is so wide you know youll always be rewarded with a solid shove in the back no matter what gear youre in. Even in fifth it will surge from 50-70mph in under seven seconds. There is a penalty to all this performance, however - and predictably, it's in the area of fuel consumption. You'll do well to average more than about 18mpg if you use the car hard and even on a run, the figure probably won't rise much above 25mpg, exactly what the car manages in the EC combined cycle test.

Drive a P1 for any distance and its hard to escape the notion that this is quite simply the best Impreza Subaru ever made. Reviews for the current models sometimes claim that the Imprezas time has come and gone. Its clear when the Imprezas time was and it was 2000. If you can get hold of a P1, its an experience that you cant afford to miss.

Current cars cant match the vitality of its steering, the rawness of its power delivery nor the sheer vibrancy of the driving experience. Have we progressed? In some areas undoubtedly but if youre a Subaru fan, this is as good as it gets.'

Taken from Subaru IMPREZA P1 Review – Yahoo Cars UK

Opinions?
Old 17 November 2006, 02:14 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

22B for looks and power.
S202 for speed and ability (not looks!)
Old 17 November 2006, 02:22 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
22B for looks and power.
S202 for speed and ability (not looks!)
Indeed. I think the reviewer claiming it was the best Subaru ever made was taking into consideration every single factor from a UK buyers point of view. The 22B is apparently not set up as perfectly as the P1 for UK roads. Someone would have to confirm that, as I've never driven one.
Bearing in mind looks, performance, running costs et al I would position the 22B above the P1 only in looks, to be honest, and even then its missing the front lip Possibly a better performer, too, although once again I dont know other than looking at manufacturers or website figures.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:25 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

P1 - a UK facsimile of a JDM classic. Why pay a premium for a UK copy of an STi?
Old 17 November 2006, 02:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Are we talking official versions only?
Old 17 November 2006, 02:30 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Are we talking official versions only?
If we're not, then:

T25
Spec C RA
22B

In that order for me, but without trying any of them.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:31 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

I dont know if the reviewer meant UK Subaru or Worldwide. But he did include the 22B, UK varient or not. In my opinion, they are all superb cars in their own right, and if I drove a Spec C or T25 I might change my mind, but for me the P1 is the best at the moment given all factors. In my opinion of course, as I'm not wanting to start a riot over it
Old 17 November 2006, 02:34 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scutch
I dont know if the reviewer meant UK Subaru or Worldwide. But he did include the 22B, UK varient or not. In my opinion, they are all superb cars in their own right, and if I drove a Spec C or T25 I might change my mind, but for me the P1 is the best at the moment given all factors. In my opinion of course, as I'm not wanting to start a riot over it
A T25 (new or original) would run rings around a P1
Old 17 November 2006, 02:45 PM
PHILYB
Scooby Regular

P1 Best ever British Classic - in my opinion.

Phil.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:45 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
A T25 (new or original) would run rings around a P1
Perfomance wise and handling, yes. Looks? In my opinion, no. Therefore the T25 isnt the complete package taking all the factors into consideration. The P1 averages everything out into an affordable and stunning package, in my eyes.

If I was to get another car, I'd love a Type 25 or a Spec C. Not being hypocritical, either, as I dont particularly want the perfect package including looks. Not many people think Impreza's are the best looking cars in the world, but many agree that the P1/22B/Type R 2 door versions are the best of an ugly bunch.
The Impreza serves a different purpose than to look beautiful, but that has to be taken into consideration when choosing the greatest Subaru ever made, along with everything else.
I love my car, it puts a smile on my face every single day (excluding service days )
That all adds to an already superb package of a car.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:48 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PHILYB
P1 Best ever British Classic - in my opinion.

Phil.
Agree on that. Not slating the others, 22B, RB5, Type R etc, all of them are fantastic cars in their own way. P1 is a mixture of the best points of all of them.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

1995 Impreza (altered production) STI Type-RA. 275PS; DCCD and a roof vent. In my opinion that homologation special is the ultimate production Impreza.
Old 17 November 2006, 02:57 PM
RFC
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

I have seen this review and the comparisons are with UK Official cars. Not with Type R, 25, etc. I think Scutch can confirm
Old 17 November 2006, 02:57 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Probably the best P1 in the country, NOW REDUCED EVEN TO £18500
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the best P1 in the country, NOW REDUCED!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the best P1 in the country!!!!!!!!!!

Subaru ImprezaP1
Build No.110
Registered May 2000
10,800 miles only
1 Owner
Prodrive Upgrades
FSSH

Prodrive 18"OZ WRC Wheels
P-Zero tyres 225/35ZR18
Prodrive Performance Rear silencer
Prodrive 330mm Front Brake Caliper/Disc Upgrade
Prodrive Gas- Discharge driving lamps
Prodrive Recaro Sport Front Seats Upgrade
This car has only done dry miles never been out in Winter
Price £18,500

I will post Pictures ASAP
Call 01234-823118 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
Cheers
Colin

SO YOU WOULD LIKE THIS ONE THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 November 2006, 02:59 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Here you Go Pictures of the car

looks mint - i take it is this one (cant be many with 10k on the clock Goodluck with the sale

Subaru : Impreza P1 Only 10800 miles

Here are the piccies to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 17 November 2006, 03:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

god the 22b was a stealthy looking ******* though compared to the "thinner" p1

andy
Old 17 November 2006, 03:04 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RFC
I have seen this review and the comparisons are with UK Official cars. Not with Type R, 25, etc. I think Scutch can confirm
Indeed my good man. Indeed. However, I've changed the overall thread to best ever in the world. lol
Old 17 November 2006, 03:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PHILYB
P1 - Best ever British Classic - in my opinion.

Phil.
Now that's how it should've been said. Fairest comment so far IMO.
Old 17 November 2006, 03:05 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Here you Go Pictures of the car

looks mint - i take it is this one (cant be many with 10k on the clock Goodluck with the sale

Subaru : Impreza P1 Only 10800 miles

Here are the piccies to go with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome. Still needs some subtle upgrades though. STi rears and detango'd
Old 17 November 2006, 03:09 PM
mr freeze
Scooby Regular

Cool

i've had both the P1 & 22b(still ), if i'm honest i prefered the P1 but obviously not for looks .
Just cant put my finger on why........... i prefer the P1 ........
Old 17 November 2006, 03:21 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr freeze
i've had both the P1 & 22b(still ), if i'm honest i prefered the P1 but obviously not for looks .
Think man, think!
It is a strange feeling when you prefer another car to the one you own, but you cant think why. I had a Clio 182 before the P1 and it was superb, but even then I was contemplating trading in for a Clio Williams (the car I sold to buy the 182) and spend a bit of cash on it. Clio Williams was a lovely motor. Kept my pockets empty with its reliability, but still a great car. P1 all day long now though
Old 17 November 2006, 03:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr freeze
Fewer engine rebuilds.....?
Old 17 November 2006, 03:44 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
Old 17 November 2006, 03:44 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

P1 - a UK facsimile of a JDM classic. Why pay a premium for a UK copy of an STi?
But it's not a copy is it........... the only thing the same is the engine, body changed, suspension changed, wheels changed, ECU changed... interior changed, to me if I wanted a COPY of something I would be very pissed off to get something so different!!

As a whole package, the P1 has to be the best Impreza available IMHO
Old 17 November 2006, 03:50 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
But it's not a copy is it........... the only thing the same is the engine, body changed, suspension changed, wheels changed, ECU changed... interior changed, to me if I wanted a COPY of something I would be very pissed off to get something so different!!

As a whole package, the P1 has to be the best Impreza available IMHO
Indeed
Old 17 November 2006, 04:19 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i hate reading p1 reviews. regrets, i have a few................................
Old 17 November 2006, 04:43 PM
Marky9074
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amahrap
It annoys me when people in 2006 write crap like this...

In 1999 when we put deposits down for this car, STI Type UK's were a glint in IM eye, and grey imports were still frowned upon and an unknown quantity.

When this car was released it 'was' the ultimate Impreza.
Old 17 November 2006, 04:45 PM
mr freeze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
true mate, my P1 had 58k on the clock & still pulling strong yet my 22b i did 700 miles in 3 months then the bottom end went costing me £2500 in parts plus the turbo was already f~~ked which i never knew about.....
£5k now & still need a turbo to get it running right .....
Old 17 November 2006, 04:58 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

What a crock of S****. Yes it may be the Best British Subaru, but i reckon the Type R is better. Id still have a 22b though.
Old 17 November 2006, 05:10 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Sti 6 Wagon.

Rarer than P1 and 22b, better looking, more practical, just as fast - who could want more?

Dave

Quick Reply: Impreza P1 - Greatest Ever Subaru?