Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What do the paying advertisers think of the current state of Scoobynet?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2006, 04:12 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do the paying advertisers think of the current state of Scoobynet?

As mentioned in title, the paying advertisers on here do you wish to be associated with the current incarnation with Scoobynet?

There seems to be an increase in the offensive postings on here.
I know the moderators have a hard /impossible job monitoring all posts but the general atmosphere has taken a turn in an unpleasant direction.
By far the majority of users are decent reasonable posters but its being infested with an unwelcome nuisance.
All users should have a say in this forum but the advertisers have a chance of being heard as if you leave it wont be possible to have this forum funded.

I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it is intended, a plea for sanity to return.
Old 18 November 2006, 12:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I speak to Scoobynet members pretty much all day, and the opinion of the site is falling rapidly.

All down to the trolls. People are fed up asking proper questions are getting flamed for it, are getting slated just because their spelling isn't quite correct.
It's a Subaru forum FFS, not an english test!!!!
Old 18 November 2006, 01:04 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I speak to Scoobynet members pretty much all day, and the opinion of the site is falling rapidly.

All down to the trolls. People are fed up asking proper questions are getting flamed for it, are getting slated just because their spelling isn't quite correct.
Thanks for your reply, covered two key points for me, yes its on the slide although a few quick bans in the last 24hrs has helped

Also my spelling is horrific and am surprised at how much importance people place on it, legible yes,perfect all the better but not a requirement?

Again thanks.
Old 18 November 2006, 01:05 PM
GeoffMM
Scooby Regular

honestly spelling is not the issue at all here. It's for subaru's.

Hu cares fi u cannt spel ? Not me
Old 18 November 2006, 01:08 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WHEELSHOP0_0
Thanks for your reply, covered two key points for me, yes its on the slide although a few quick bans in the last 24hrs has helped

Also my spelling is horrific and am surprised at how much importance people place on it, legible yes,perfect all the better but not a requirement?

Again thanks.
No probs

Agreed the bans have helped, so maybe it'll turn things around.

But you would be suprised exactly how many people refuse to post threads because of the fear they'll get abused.
Old 18 November 2006, 01:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by GeoffMM
honestly spelling is not the issue at all here. It's for subaru's.

Hu cares fi u cannt spel ? Not me
Try telling a few people on here that. I don't care if a word is spelt wrong, or there is no full stop where there should be one, but a few guys here seem to think they're english teachers
Old 18 November 2006, 01:15 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

M8..next time you get asked for a quote and their profession is english teacher just refuse it on the spot

On a more serious note this thread was well started ..no doubt someone is already thinking on the next smart flaming remark to make and this is my general perception.

BR

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2006, 02:04 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just paid to advertise and am not to happy with the fact that theres a lot of racism tand nothing is done about it.
And i agree on the spelling point..........My grammer and spelling is poor also and have noticed all the pencil pushers pointing it out
Old 18 November 2006, 03:13 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I actually think its getting better tbh,

At least the powers that be are taking steps to address it.

Juggers, IMO there are a vocal minority on here whom bleat racist comments, i really dont think its that bad. A few months ago it was terrible, every thread was muslim this and muslim that, i really think Shaun has clamped down on these threads and it has certainly improved in recent months.

And with regards to trolling at least Snet has taken a step in the right direction.
Old 18 November 2006, 03:27 PM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, I was begining to wonder if I was paranoid (this was posted for almost 24hrs with no replies).
I originally posted during a bout of madness that was in my view instigated by a troll/idiot that hinted to be from a minority community and posted inflamatory remarks with the hope that these would force an equally poor responce from genuine members.
This was banned and vaped from the listings quickly but maybe not quickly enough, I know the mods cannot be everywhere at the same time so I am glad this has been done now.

More views welcome and thanks again.
Old 18 November 2006, 03:31 PM
stiginger
Scooby Regular

my spelling is terrible and i agree with all posts above this is a subaru forum no matter what colour you are the majority of us drive a subaru thats the main thing isnt it????
Old 18 November 2006, 07:39 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I hope you don't take such a laissez faire attitude to spelling when filling in client's details. Just jesting, although to be fair poor spelling is one thing but completely illegible goobledegook is another!
Old 18 November 2006, 08:53 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

But you would be suprised exactly how many people refuse to post threads because of the fear they'll get abused.
I know what you mean Im a noob to snet and scooby ownership, and theres been a few times ive not posted a question for fear of being made to look a fool cos i dont know what im doing yet ive personally not had any bother but have seen some odd arguements and points of view, but i think this palce (on the whole) is great, would of never heard of the Smacs lot if it wasnt for here
Old 18 November 2006, 10:40 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

As mentioned in title, the paying advertisers on here do you wish to be associated with the current incarnation with Scoobynet?

There seems to be an increase in the offensive postings on here.
I know the moderators have a hard /impossible job monitoring all posts but the general atmosphere has taken a turn in an unpleasant direction.
By far the majority of users are decent reasonable posters but its being infested with an unwelcome nuisance.
All users should have a say in this forum but the advertisers have a chance of being heard as if you leave it wont be possible to have this forum funded.

I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it is intended, a plea for sanity to return.
Can I ask if your join date is correct?

If so are you really making this judgement over a 4 month period
Old 18 November 2006, 10:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
laissez faire
Hark at him!
Old 20 November 2006, 09:26 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Can I ask if your join date is correct?

If so are you really making this judgement over a 4 month period

Fair point Phil, Yes my join date is correct although I was a guest several times since 2004, but as I did not own a scoob at the time I did not join or view as regularly but as many newbies should to I spent some time surfing the archives on here for fun and education and noticed a deterioration in my view.
Since broadband came to our area(sticks in Scotland) I have taken a more hands on approach to S/N. Even in the past 4 months I feel a shift in attitude from members has happened but I was thinking it might just be me? However the replies have given me confidence that I am not paranoid(well maybe a little) but am not alone
Old 20 November 2006, 09:34 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Not a dig

Its just I have been here since 2001 and yes things change some good some bad

TBH I hadn't noticed a shift over the last 4 months

You always get moans when new things are introduced

Google Ad's caused a real storm of protest now even plus members see them and I haven't seen a complaint for months
Old 20 November 2006, 09:38 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The main thing i've noticed recently is a lack of moderators. Scoobynet used to be a great community, where everyone knew each other, with many on a personal level, we all got on well and it was a mature forum. Back then, there was always a large network of moderators who would manage the forum and generally take car of everything.

These days, you rarely see any mods joining in, and there is definately not the level of moderation there was a few years back.

The trolls are ruining everything, you have to think twice about posting anything for fear of being flamed.
Old 20 November 2006, 09:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

my tuppence...

joined in may as you can probably tell ...

recently, say withing the last 3 weeks they seemed to be quite a few newbies with the very same perogative... to wind others up and post offensive posts of varying nature.

i wonder if a couple of kids got together, registered a few names each and then let rip with their trolling. in the months ive been here, noticeably november has seen some right dillops posting allsorts.

nothing against the newbies from oct/nov who like me are genuine enthusiasts. does anybody else see where im coming from on this issue.

andy
Old 20 November 2006, 09:58 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Andy I agree with you and as stated in my post this was the reason that I made the orig. post as I think you will be aware there was an incident in another post when I made a claim that the person pretending to be from a "minority community" was not real and was on for the sole reason to instigate a war of words which led to the treads being vaped and certain users banned under that name(+1) as well.
Thia unfortunately led to some poor responces from members who I had(have) resect for, I think they were led astray deliberately for malicious reasons. This was the straw that broke ect. for me.
Glad the majority of members are petrolheads 1st and while I disagree with lots of views in here I would defend the right to express them in a reasonable and non insulting/aggressive manner.
Old 20 November 2006, 10:02 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I've been here a while too, and yes, the site has changed in the last 12 months - more noticeably in the last 6 months.

Scoobynet has always been a place not for the feint-hearted - enter at your own risk!! However, there was never any malicious intent, moreso MAJOR p1ss-taking. I came over from Steve Breen's IWOC site, where it was a small community, so was seriously overwhelmed when I joined here. But I was made to feel welcome.

Due to the amount of not so much Trolls per say, but malicious, venomous little individuals with no other agenda but to cause disruption (perhaps that IS a Troll!), this does put off new members.

What puts people off is that there are some individuals who use intellectual prowess to prey on those who come here for a more simplistic, laid-back engagement in conversation.
Personally, I can handle myself with these people, but there are plenty who either can't or are too intimidated to bother....... As a result, they leave. Which is a crying shame With exception of the SIDC site, which again, is great, but MUCH smaller, there is nowhere else on the net which combines so much input.

The mods/administration have made a rod for their own back by appearing impartial or invisible, when IMHO, they should be, for want of a more suitable term, "policing" the forums. Unfortunately, this is -
1. A thankless task
2. Too much to do, as this is all on a volunteer basis, and most people still have work/home lives to balance......

So, I think there is a need for more mods, with more powers. (I'll put myself forward )

Scoobynet is a great site, but with a commercial concern, the longer they take to address this isse, the more advertisers will walk.

All, IMHO of course

Dan
Old 20 November 2006, 10:04 AM
wrx-kenny
Scooby Regular

me being a new member and having just came over from an astra forum, i think scoobynet is a good community. the astra forum i came from was VERY cliquey concerning a few of the members and there was a few private jokes between the clique that got posted and no one else really understood them. Scoobynet has its bad points, ie people pointing out bad spelling etc etc but i think every forum with a large member base has this. afterall we cant ALL get on with each other. While ive been on scoobynet ive found the members to be very helpfull and patient when it comes to newbies asking questions like " whats the difference between WRX and STI" if i had posted that up on the forum i was on before all i would have got was a cheecky reply by someone saying, "use the search button"

as for the mods, i cant imagine how hard it would be to moderate this forum as it is soooo big, having being a website/forum owner myself i know how hard it is to look through every post to see if there is anything there that shouldnt be. the mods do a good job on here controlling the forum and i think we should all support them.

thats just my opinion on this site, wether im wrong or not, thats just what it think
Old 20 November 2006, 10:05 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Andy I agree with you and as stated in my post this was the reason that I made the orig. post as I think you will be aware there was an incident in another post when I made a claim that the person pretending to be from a "minority community" was not real and was on for the sole reason to instigate a war of words which led to the treads being vaped and certain users banned under that name(+1) as well.
Thia unfortunately led to some poor responces from members who I had(have) resect for, I think they were led astray deliberately for malicious reasons. This was the straw that broke ect. for me.
Glad the majority of members are petrolheads 1st and while I disagree with lots of views in here I would defend the right to express them in a reasonable and non insulting/aggressive manner.
excellent point well made. il admit in certain threads my rough edges may show, ask agent003 when we were bitching at each other!! but hopefully moderators may be a little more alert now following events of recent.

at the end of the day this whole community is based on a petrolheads vision of a blinding car. to be honest people without an interest in the world of subaru shouldnt be here. even though i havent even got an impreza anymore (until next year) i still feel i have a worthy place in the subaru forums, as im a total nut for them. a shame something that has grown so much in 8 years can be dragged down by the trolls.

to be honest though, there are always going to be the blunt characters on here, thats a good thing in my eyes, keep the spark and freshness. but with bluntness usually comes a wealth of knowledge. i would like to think that as being a member i could guide newbies with the knowlegde i have gained from induviduals and groups off here.

andy
Old 20 November 2006, 10:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i do however believe more moderators should be allocated on here... a wider policing structure due to the sheer size of the fanbase on here.

whether considered or not i would put my name forward on a voluntary basis. if people dont agree with that thats their call, but i know how much in my head i enjoy visiting here and want to keep the experience on that same level...
Old 20 November 2006, 10:13 AM
WHEELSHOP0_0
Scooby Regular

Kenny thanks for your reply its good to know that a newbie is pleased with this forum its generally good but was slipping(imho).
The more better members we have the better the site will be.

Scoob doo, I agree the mods have an impossible job with little or no thanks here, while I would never want to be a telltale posting a poor rep. and comment on any of these threads will bring a poor attidude to light.

PS Anyone who gets a poor rep from me will know about it as I will always leave my name on any neg. thread, a good rep will get comment but not my name as I dont want to seem like I am asking for a positive rep. in return but will accept any neg. rep as they will soon have little or no rep to spread around
Old 20 November 2006, 10:17 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Have you linked this to Webby? (I'm sure they're all readin it anyway, but might not hurt to have an opinion from those in charge )

Dan
Old 20 November 2006, 10:24 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Who has been banned?
Old 20 November 2006, 10:29 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Who has been banned?
That was what I was wondering I haven't been around much over the weekend so what have I missed
Old 20 November 2006, 10:29 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Overall I think this Forum is the best Forum around. Yes the Trolls get on my nerves at times, but overall the banter is good, although some people can't tell a bit of banter from an insult. Thick B@stards

The past few week, I would agree that there has been an influx of `New users` "Audihater" as an example that are just posting to either start an argument, or just to ruin a thread. These people should be banned straight away by the Mods.

However, any Forum is going to provoke a difference of opinion, that may or may not lead to arguments where insults are thrown around (been guilty of this myself) but these members should not be banned as overall they are normal, regular posters who like to read and contribute to an informed thread as much as enjoy joining in in the `Stupid` threads.

Ban the new trouble makers, and Scoobynet can continue to be the best car Forum on the Net.

Just my thoughts
Old 20 November 2006, 10:31 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
These people should be banned straight away by the Mods.
Sadly the mods don't do the banning

Quick Reply: What do the paying advertisers think of the current state of Scoobynet?