ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Running-in advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2006, 02:46 PM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running-in advice please.

First of all, merry christmas everyone! I've ordered a new STi that will come on the new registration in March, what is the procedure for running-in one of these cars? Also is this something that should be strictly adhered to? I've never had a brand new one before, so any advice will be appreciated.
Old 26 December 2006, 02:50 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

engine will already be run in I would have thought.
Old 26 December 2006, 03:03 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScuuBdoo
engine will already be run in I would have thought.
Indeed, but other things such as brakes will not.

I'd take it easy for at least 500 miles.
Old 26 December 2006, 03:14 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I have had mine for 6months now and done everything by the book.

I set my Rev warning to 4500RPM for the first 1000miles (until first service is over) and did not to exceed this. Also, make sure you use the moving parts at differing situations, gearbox/brakes/tyres are all good to keep on the move/work in low stress situations as these will also require their own bedding in periods.

Last Rolling Road my car performed over what the standard book figures state it should (which according to powerstation is rare).. and at worst has performed within 0.1BHP on a previous to that. Also my car has consumed no oil in 6k miles (which i have heard of same year cars blasted from day 1 that are consuming oil within 3kmiles)

If you want the best... give it some mechancial respect in its early days and you will reap the rewards later. My thoughts are that it costs nothing to be too careful to start with, but can cost alot if your not careful enough.

Your call, and your hard earned.

Enjoy it!!

Last edited by marmski; 26 December 2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 26 December 2006, 04:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep her under 4k for the first 1k miles, change oil to 10w40 semi synthetic and increase revs by 500 every 50-100 miles depending on your driving, also dont keep at constant revs for too long, keep fluctuating them
By around 1500 miles your car should be nicely bedded in, just dont rag the car from cold and dont use the water temp as a gauge to the oil temp, the oil takes considerably longer to warm up than the water does (10 or so miles to operating temps).
At the first big service and with several k under its belt, you can change your oil to a fully synthetic, DONT do it before as the engine still beds in! hence you use the semi synthetic up to then
Your car should use no oil if done properly

Tony
Old 26 December 2006, 04:52 PM
wrc350+
Scooby Regular

dealer i bought mine off said keep below 60mph didnt say what gear or revs thankfully i spoke to my tuner and put me right
Old 26 December 2006, 05:02 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by marmski
I have had mine for 6months now and done everything by the book.

I set my Rev warning to 4500RPM for the first 1000miles (until first service is over) and did not to exceed this. Also, make sure you use the moving parts at differing situations, gearbox/brakes/tyres are all good to keep on the move/work in low stress situations as these will also require their own bedding in periods.

Last Rolling Road my car performed over what the standard book figures state it should (which according to powerstation is rare).. and at worst has performed within 0.1BHP on a previous to that. Also my car has consumed no oil in 6k miles (which i have heard of same year cars blasted from day 1 that are consuming oil within 3kmiles)

If you want the best... give it some mechancial respect in its early days and you will reap the rewards later. My thoughts are that it costs nothing to be too careful to start with, but can cost alot if your not careful enough.

Your call, and your hard earned.

Enjoy it!!
mine's done 35K miles with no oil used at all (apart from the oil change )........only thing is the mods are very expensive