ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SPEC SPEED CAMERAS (VULTURES!)

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 10:27 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEC SPEED CAMERAS (VULTURES!)

Anyone encountered any of those specs speed cameras, the ones which takes your average speed? Theres a load on the m5 around exeter now, i hope they cannot register your speed as you aproach because i slowed down a bit late, i think its measured over time from one to the next though
Old 05 January 2007, 10:32 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Apparently there is a flaw with SPECS. It's has been talked about on here. If you change lanes the system doesn't have the ability to track your average speed. This is due to budget restrictions during it's development.

A new system called SPIKE is apparently on the way that doesn't have this problem.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:48 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

so i guess theoretically if you've gone through one like a bat out of hell try to pull over somewhere for a few min lol. ---- or dont speed
Old 05 January 2007, 10:48 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

Yeah i heard that problem was i didnt know about that yesterday when i went through them, just got fingers crossed now. I should be ok if they cannot measure your speed as you approach the first one. The robbing *******s are getting worse with their devices to con us out of money and licenses!!
Old 05 January 2007, 11:55 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danwrx4
Yeah i heard that problem was i didnt know about that yesterday when i went through them, just got fingers crossed now. I should be ok if they cannot measure your speed as you approach the first one. The robbing *******s are getting worse with their devices to con us out of money and licenses!!
No they don't measure your speed as you approach, it's mearly a distance/time calculator to measure your average speed between cameras
Old 06 January 2007, 11:07 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some in northhampton on th A45, my boss found them in one of the works cars, but only three weeks later
Old 06 January 2007, 12:00 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Apparently there is a flaw with SPECS. It's has been talked about on here. If you change lanes the system doesn't have the ability to track your average speed. This is due to budget restrictions during it's development.

A new system called SPIKE is apparently on the way that doesn't have this problem.
is this a wind up? surely they must allow for people changing lanes I hate the ones on M42 you have to stare at your speedo for miles

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2007, 12:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by HOWY
is this a wind up? surely they must allow for people changing lanes I hate the ones on M42 you have to stare at your speedo for miles
If it is the BBC are in on it... check their web site.
Old 06 January 2007, 05:17 PM
Scooby Lover
Scooby Regular

Sorry to drift slightly off topic, but does anyone know when the one's at Stockport on the M60 will end?

Such a pain in the a$$!
Old 06 January 2007, 06:06 PM
rocafella
Scooby Regular

the good thing bout these in my area they dont actually work lol they've been out up on the a77 from minishant to ayr these ones are just a deterant. the ones 10 miles down the road after ayr however do work so.... watch out this isnt to say there all like tht.

jus i'am fortunate in my area.
Old 06 January 2007, 06:11 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by Scooby Lover
Sorry to drift slightly off topic, but does anyone know when the one's at Stockport on the M60 will end?

Such a pain in the a$$!

I know what you mean - I hate them
Old 06 January 2007, 06:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've heard that SPECS is founded upon the rumour that they work ie there are cameras but they don't do anything?! Has anyone actually been caught on SPECS? I don't know of one person ...

TX.
Old 06 January 2007, 06:29 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

But dont you love it when the numptys brake hard at the camera then speed up till the next camera. Would love to see there faces when the letter is recieved.
Best thing is to tuck in behind a wagon then the camera doesnt get your reg at one of the cameras, or take you front plate off or get a bike.
Old 06 January 2007, 08:01 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin-STI
or get a bike.

New syle spec camera's under evaluation will be rear mounted to catch bikes as well.......... also will be able to differentiate between vehicles changing lanes during the measured distance...... unlike the current set up.
Old 06 January 2007, 08:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I've heard that SPECS is founded upon the rumour that they work ie there are cameras but they don't do anything?! Has anyone actually been caught on SPECS? I don't know of one person ...

TX.
My boss got caught last year on the A45 in one of the works cars. 5am, 57 in a 50 limit. Didn't even know they where there until he got called in to the MT pool to own up to his ticket
Old 06 January 2007, 11:43 PM
danwrx4
Scooby Regular

Good idea to tuck in behind a wagon, The problem is all the ways we can think to avoid them they always find a way to f**k us over!
Old 07 January 2007, 11:14 AM
rescc
Scooby Regular

Get a Road Angel they tell you were they are and if you're over the average speed !!
Old 07 January 2007, 01:17 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I live in Notts, in the first city to get Specs and trial them.
You try driving in a specs zone at 30 mph! LOL. Unreal.
The 30 mph limit got loads of ppl when they first went up, as most ppl thought it was a 40 limit. The road signs got changed to larger clearer ones to indicate the fact it really is 30 mph. I would say the 30 mph is around a mile long, and the ring road which is 40 mph has specs for i would guess at 4 miles! LOL.
Superb when all i do all day is drive down the bloody ring road to work, family, etc, etc.
Suffice to say i have a Subaru that spends 90% of its time with the Road Angel red!
Old 07 January 2007, 01:27 PM
56blacksti
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Martin-STI
But dont you love it when the numptys brake hard at the camera then speed up till the next camera. Would love to see there faces when the letter is recieved.
Best thing is to tuck in behind a wagon then the camera doesnt get your reg at one of the cameras, or take you front plate off or get a bike.
TUCK IN BEHIND A WAGON HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE IF THE WAGON PUT HIS BRAKES ON HARD
Old 07 January 2007, 01:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by HOWY
Err, there ain't any on the M42 mate.. (apart from the temp ones when there's roadworks)

I think you're mistaking, as do a lot of people, the 'variable traffic flow cameras' that monitor traffic flow and adjust the speed limits accordingly. There's a few hundred of them and they're not speed enforcement cameras, thankfully..

They've been a bit crafty by putting up the camera signs, but any speed camera HAS to be highly visible (ie painted yellow). If you look at the many cameras on the M42, none are..
Old 07 January 2007, 02:46 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

speed cameras only have to be yellow if that particular camera partnership has signed up to keep all of the funds that are raised by speeders that are caught on camera,and not send it all to central coffers...... or summat like that.... point is not all cameras are/have to be highly visable
Old 07 January 2007, 05:48 PM
rocafella
Scooby Regular

specs speed cameras arent on all the time and when they are its only a set of 3 or 4 at any one time so you cant actually tell if there all on etc so u jus have to stay to the limit or take your chances.

well thats how the ones that do work on a77.