Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UNDER TAKING:GET THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 10:36 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNDER TAKING:GET THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!

Is it just me who gets pisse@ off with middle lane drivers on motor ways.Picture the scene bombing down motor way in my restricted gas van and you have some guy hogging middle lane,now my van only does 75mph so i can not be bothered to swap 3 lanes all the time to over take so at times when i have a clear stretch i will some times under take,you know bloody blatent as to indicate for the numptys to move back in to correct lane.Do these people take a blind bit of notice.NAH!! really gets on my nerves'whats your opinions...
Old 05 January 2007, 10:48 PM
JOCKEY
Scooby Regular

Most annoying thing on the Motorway , when people are overtaking fresh air and they look at you as if your the bad driver if you try and tell them there is another lane that they can use to their left. Would help congestion I am sure.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:49 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

I agree with the sentiment ... same goes for people in the outside lane of an otherwise clear dual carriageway: ITS CALLED THE 'OVERTAKING' LANE, NOT THE 'FAST' LANE.

Unfortunately I've heard some horror stories of people being prosecuted for undertaking and I also heard that the government is considering making some dangerous driving offences punishable by prison - undertaking was one of the offences mentioned as a candidate.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:53 PM
sang_my02_wrx
Scooby Regular

i hate middle lane hoggers and 3rd lane blockers, ban them all!!!!!
Old 05 January 2007, 10:53 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I undertake if I'm doing a constant speed within the limit and simply stay in my lane. I do get really annoyed at to55ers that weave between lanes to make progress on a busy motorway. Overtaking then accelerating back into inside lane to undertake as traffic slows.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:54 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Well that sounds about a right for this government.
Old 05 January 2007, 10:58 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sang_my02_wrx
i hate middle lane hoggers and 3rd lane blockers, ban them all!!!!!
So basically ban all bmw X5 drivers then - I had one behind me today so close that I could barely see the front of his car below the bonnet, I'd say 8feet max at 75mph in outside lane on a 3 lane busy motorway. Where the tit expected me to go I dont know. I find this very often with X5's - is it just me ?

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2007, 10:59 PM
JOCKEY
Scooby Regular

Middle lane hoggers should get points for there driving.
Old 05 January 2007, 11:28 PM
£mpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JOCKEY
Middle lane hoggers should get points for there driving.
Correct. Exactly what I have always said. That goes for outside lane aswell
Old 05 January 2007, 11:39 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Totaly agree, so take great plessure in droping back and tearing up behind them and scaring them to death! No need for it. If you are not overtaking at that exact moment the lane is the far left.
Old 06 January 2007, 11:11 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Funky Spider your right!

I've had a couple of instances of X5's accelerating at me from behind in the outside lane, then weaving fom right to left.

I'm leaving a distance between me and the guy in front then, you get the move into the middle lane & try to force their way in to the outside lane, no way Pedro!

Could understand it if there was fresh air in front of me & not quite a few cars.

When the lane did clear, I got a bit of pleasure in disappearing and, when he couldn't get any where near me, flashed his lights and waved to me in a friendly manner.

Think I probably remember it more cos it was a big Wagon & quite intimidating!

The lane thing has to be looked at and, the middle lane hoggers "Plodded" that isn't going to happen as they have replaced real Patrol Cars with cameras.

In Germany the lane discipline is superb, overtake move over to the inside lane immediately.

Would welcome the Goverment doing Advertisment Campaigns to make people aware.

Moan over!
Old 06 January 2007, 11:31 AM
farmermo
Scooby Regular

this is one of my pet hates!
these people are idiots! you flash them and you get abuse, you undertake and get abuse, but at least your past them!!
I regularly undertake 3 or 4 cars at a time on the slip road where I join the motorway.
points should be awarded excessive outside lane abuse!
Old 06 January 2007, 12:09 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Middle Lane Morons - The Offical Website "Dedicated to freeing Lane 2 from the League of Chimpions" Middle Lane Morons
Old 06 January 2007, 12:15 PM
Scooby Senior

I go round them and then nearly take their front off with my rear as i go back to the clear inside lane.... they usually get the message and move over
Old 06 January 2007, 12:22 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

posted this before...

mate and I were moaning about the middle lane hoggers. He said what he does is go past the hogger, cut in front quite sharply, move over to the inside lane and then slow down. Hogger passes you and then he repeats the manoeuvre. He told me, he once did 9 "laps" around a guy before he finally got the message
Old 06 January 2007, 12:27 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Middle lane hoggers are my biggest pet hate at the moment.

Every person I see doing it I give a little beep to as I come past and point my finger to gesture that they move over into the left hand lane.

Most just look at me like I'm some kind of mad man
Old 06 January 2007, 01:31 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

i drive in the middle lane i pay my car tax so i can drive in which ever lane i fooking like and btw if its an empty carriage way what does it matter ? and should be on the same stretch and you try and under take me i just put my foot down on the loud pedal and keep up with you, cos i love to see your faces when you have to start braking and then pull in behind me
Old 06 January 2007, 01:34 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

this is my personal pet hate of drivers too. I can't stand people that hog the middle and outside lane i think they should suffer the same penalties as speeding! They definatly cause traffic congestion at times!!
Old 06 January 2007, 01:40 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

it does state in the high way code to return to the left lane once you have passed vehicle(s).
I think its often poor drivers that sit in lanes, a lack of confidence in using mirrors. I think the police need to do more about this, prosecute poeple like they would for tailgatting or speeding, its arguably dangerous driving as your not driving in accoradnce with the high way code. I also get annoyed on dual carriage ways, some people get into the outside lane miles before a set of lights or roundabout as they dont have the confidence to do it at the desired time, unless it says get in lane you should return to the left lane!

May be driving lessons should include motorway driving or new drivers should be forced to do a motorway class or similar.
Old 06 January 2007, 01:44 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_classicwrx
this is my personal pet hate of drivers too. I can't stand people that hog the middle and outside lane i think they should suffer the same penalties as speeding! They definatly cause traffic congestion at times!!
So your saying its ok to break the law and speed then ? assuming the car in the OUTSIDE lane is dong 70 ?
Old 06 January 2007, 01:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Middle lane hoggers are my biggest pet hate at the moment.

Every person I see doing it I give a little beep to as I come past and point my finger to gesture that they move over into the left hand lane.

Most just look at me like I'm some kind of mad man
Aye, or give you the bird. Even some you flash, when you go past and pull back in, they flash you back?

Are we in France? No, well drive on the left!! I hate it too myself.
Old 06 January 2007, 02:00 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

well either love it or hate it, its something that you will never stop people doing, just like speeding
Old 06 January 2007, 02:57 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have to admit I will undertake at times, but found the best method to get people to move back into the left lane is not to blast past them at warp speed in lane one - save that for later.
But creep up on them in lane one and hover in their mirrors and 9 out of ten times they have acclerated (I let them) into lane one - thinking they are blocking you - then simply indicate into lane two and acclerate away !

Do agree with what posted by Jockey middle lane hoggers should be given point!
Richard
Old 06 January 2007, 05:48 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

If I'm in the inside lane, they're in the middle and the road is otherwise clear then I'll stay in my lane and go past them.

My interpretation being is that I'm keeping with the flow of traffic in my lane (i.e. my speed) and I am not swapping lanes in order to get past, therefore I am not undertaking - I am simply making progress in my lane.

Granted, I'm not sure how the police would take that explanation from me..
Old 06 January 2007, 06:20 PM
Martin-STI
Scooby Regular

The thing is they think it is safe due to they have a lane either side..........

Not realising that if they went in the near side lane they are actually safer due to they now have 2 lanes to the right and 1 to the left and a grass verge 90% of the time in case of an incident such as a blow out or most of all a possible vehicle crossing the barrier from the other carriageway.

I think it should be part of the driving test and lessons. There was something about this in Autoexpress a few months ago where they were on about people getting points.
Old 06 January 2007, 06:57 PM
speedystu
Scooby Regular

All true, all you lot whom sit in the bloody middle lane are a bunch of no good fooookin losers who should read the foookin high way code and then retake your driving test, i'm a hairy arsed truck driver, and not a fat pie eating one, and i drive 600miles every day, i do the same route most days and hate it because of dink heads who drive in the middle lane(mostly) and especialy the ones who give me the bird for under taking them cos they sit in the middle lane doing 50 mph.................... rant over............
Old 06 January 2007, 07:30 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I don't undertake as a rule...

If the person is dumb enough to be in a lane they shouldn't be in, then usually they are dumb enough to panic and try to move over into your lane when you undertake them. In a car pushing 300bhp+ you don't give people much time to react.

Still saying that, my wife was egging me on today

and as I always do as I am told....
Old 06 January 2007, 11:39 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
If I'm in the inside lane, they're in the middle and the road is otherwise clear then I'll stay in my lane and go past them.

My interpretation being is that I'm keeping with the flow of traffic in my lane (i.e. my speed) and I am not swapping lanes in order to get past, therefore I am not undertaking - I am simply making progress in my lane.

Granted, I'm not sure how the police would take that explanation from me..

Any chance of a coppers view please ??
Old 07 January 2007, 09:33 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I followed a Police van for 40 miles on the M62 last week, he only used the inside lane when he left the motorway..........

My view is that these people lack the confidence or skill to change lanes or are simply of limited intelligence and find it hard to make sensible choices in life in general.

I haven't read the Highway Code, common sense is enough for most normal drivers to navigate the roads in a safe manner.

A friend of mine admitted recently that he is a terrible driver, weaving about on the motorway, using only the middle and outside lane and drives everywhere with his fogs on.....And he drives 50K miles per year!
Old 07 January 2007, 09:47 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Well we all know that just because they're in the police it doesn't mean they're immune to driving like spanners.

I had one go past me yesterday on his merry way with the two cars behind him both misusing their foglights..... Personally, if I was a copper, I'd be handing out 3 point fines left, right and centre for spanners having the damn things on when they shouldn't have.

Quick Reply: UNDER TAKING:GET THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!