Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wheres the aerial on an STI7 UK Spec?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2007, 03:54 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheres the aerial on an STI7 UK Spec?

I cant find mine and after fitting an alpine head unit and connecting the aerial lead into the back of the head unit i am getting a crap reception.

Help as want to be able to use the radio
Old 06 January 2007, 04:22 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

if i am correct, Your aerial is built in to the heated rear window make sure you have the power anntenna wire off your headunit in the right place as this can sometimes cause problems
Old 06 January 2007, 04:27 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Correct Rob.
Check your connections again.
Old 06 January 2007, 04:30 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

I found the radio reception rubbish on my STi7 uk anyway. A conventional aerial is always better than one in a screen.
Old 06 January 2007, 04:33 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
if i am correct, Your aerial is built in to the heated rear window make sure you have the power anntenna wire off your headunit in the right place as this can sometimes cause problems

Sorry to be a bit of a tit but where is the power antenna wire and what does it look like, i take it the aerial is on the rear window then?

I have plugged the male aerial fitting into the head unit and produces a signal, but when go through built up areas it crackles.
Old 06 January 2007, 04:34 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

I can only get a few stations compared to loads in my classic
Old 06 January 2007, 04:42 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

cant remember what it looks like tbh m8 just have a look at your wires they sometimes usually have it wrote on them, did you use an iso connector that fits the original car wiring loom
Old 06 January 2007, 04:43 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

cant remember what it looks like tbh m8 just have a look at your wires they sometimes usually have it wrote on them, did you use an iso connector that fits the original car wiring loom
yes so it should be fine
Old 06 January 2007, 04:50 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I have seen some of those connectors wired up wrong especially if it came from halfords
Old 06 January 2007, 04:56 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

I have seen some of those connectors wired up wrong especially if it came from halfords
Right ok this is what i done.

I bought as ISO connector from halfrauds but is didnt fit into the subaru connector or my alpine 9855r, so just went back and got my money back.

I then cut the loom betwwen the old double din and the subaru connector and conected the appropriate wires to my new head unit.

I am near enough 100% sure i have wired everything correctly.
Old 07 January 2007, 09:53 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I have no problems with MY04 radio. Works fine! I much prefer the smooth look too.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:30 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i think it's a purple wire but not 100% sure but the booster is behind the trim panel by the back window on the near side pull it off and you should be able to see the plug with the wire in it that will tell you what the power feed is with the help of a multimeter
Old 07 January 2007, 11:38 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

All the info is above (I wrote this before your post Scoobyboy so not aimed at you) but not explained too well. Here's my attempt at making it clearer:

The stick on silver elements in the back window are both the rear window heater and the aerial. There's a small square ally box full of holes, up under the rear parcel shelf on a MY02 STi if I recall correctly, that filters out the radio signals from the 12V that heats the screen or perhaps just ampilies the weak signals from the stick on aerial. It sends the radio signal to the radio.

My understanding is that this little box needs a separate 12V power supply to work. This 12V is sent from the radio whenever you turn the radio on. It goes through a wire which is usually called power antenna / auto aerial or similar (because a power antenna needs 12v whenever the radio is turned on as well). But UK aren't big on powered antennas so this wire is often not there in the ISO connectors sold here or the right 12V isn't generated in UK spec radios. Without this 12V being there the radio gets much less signal from the rear screen heater aerial, hence why the signal is so much worse since you fitted a new radio.

So you need to find this wire in your loom and make sure it's getting 12V from the radio when the radio is turned on. It's pin 6 on an ISO connector. If not then I guess stick an ignition controlled 12V up it, eg link it across from pin 5, in my car the radios on 99% off the time the ignition is after all.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 07 January 2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:46 AM
whitepilgrim
Scooby Regular

Had all the same probs when fitted new Alpine Hu in my 05 cr*p reception in certain areas crackling etc. Tried everything earthing Hu & antenna, blue power cable nothing worked.
Apparentley the problam is a combination of two things
1. The Alpine Hu being farsuperior to the old Hu so any defect in reception will be noticable.
2. Broken or damaged antenna lead,

Mines still under warranty and waiting for stealership to replace antenna cable.

You can check yourself if its the cable , just pull off the rear passenger side pillar cover the bit from the parcel shelf to the roof with the seat belt holder in the middle, once youve pulled that off you will see the anntena cable fixing.
Turn the radio on and unclip the cable from the antenna in theory you should loose reception, if there no difference then its the cable defect.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:29 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys, will try those things and get back to you.

Thanks for your time and patience
Old 10 January 2007, 12:18 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

um, maybe i'm stupid or maybe i dont know which number my STI is but my 02 STI has a bee sting aerial...