Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why is there such a big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2007, 05:36 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is there such a big difference?

Thought this would be a quick interesting read but I decided to ring up 3 scooby specialsts and get quotes from them all, this was actually quite surprising!

Car is an MY03 JDM STi -

Things I wanted to be quoted for -
  • Decat Downpipe
  • Uprated Fuel Pump (Didnt actually know I "needed" one of these until scoobyclinic told me)
  • Full ECUtek Remap

First of all, I rang ScoobyClinic. I am within 15 miles of them, and had some previous work carried out there, so I guess they would be the winners! - They quoted me £1370inc Vat, not including a dyno run afterwards. I actually only enquired about a decat and remap, but apparently I needed the fuel pump aswell, so okay. Scoobyclinic:- £1370.

Second time I rang Power Engineering, these are the furthest away from me at 150 miles! But for the same thing there, including a dyno run, would be £800Inc Vat. This is because I have already had a remap done there previously, so own the license thing! So Winner!

Finally I called PowerStation, no answer, so left a message. First thing next morning I got a call from a chap, who told me it would all be £950Inc Vat. I was very impressed with this as for the same thing that scoobyclinic were going to do, it was £420 cheaper! Thats a lot of money, so its worth the extra 160 miles round trip for it! Then to my surprise, he actually said, "by the way, what do you even need a fuel pump for?" I replied well because im having a decat apparently I need one to get the best out of my car, he said you have a JDM Sti8 right? "Yes", "Ahh sir, they are good enough on there anyway, theres no need for another one. When we are mapping the car, if we think it needs one, we will put it on, so, give us a few days notice, and we can do it all for you"

I Was very impressed with that, I was not expecting to have a garage tell me I didnt need something, when I was going to pay for it anyways!

But, why is there such a big difference between scoobyclinic, and the other 2?! They both use the same software, dyno etc. and the parts will be of equal quality, so im confused!

But I am going to take my business to powerstation, I have searched on here and it looks good, a few bad eggs but you get them everywhere!
Old 07 January 2007, 05:48 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

price should be around

£100 fuel pump
£400 for remap (cos u already have the license)
£150-200 around that for decat down pipe
£?? for fitting

about 920 sounds right
Old 07 January 2007, 05:48 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Powerstation are real good and won't be diappointed IMHO

but would to be fair to say S/Clinic probably quoted for a remap and Full EcuTek licence and would be £XXX Cheaper for remap on an existing EcuteK licence.

IMHO

Tony
Old 07 January 2007, 05:52 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Powerstation are real good and won't be diappointed IMHO

but would to be fair to say S/Clinic probably quoted for a remap and Full EcuTek licence and would be £XXX Cheaper for remap on an existing EcuteK licence.

IMHO

Tony

Powerstation didnt know about a previous remapped ECU! So, they quoted on EXACTLY the same as Scoobyclinic, and Scoobyclinic knew it had been ecutek mapped previously by powerengineering!
Old 07 January 2007, 05:53 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Come down to Prosport mate in manchester. No fannying about no nonsense or bull#hit.I wouldn't dare take my care else where plus you can have a blast of my spec c
Old 07 January 2007, 05:56 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
Come down to Prosport mate in manchester. No fannying about no nonsense or bull#hit.I wouldn't dare take my care else where plus you can have a blast of my spec c
Might be worth a try, but the offer of a blast in a spec c is however very tempting, but being as im only 18, you may change your mind when im there haha

Any details of the prosport company? I will give them a call, as they are more local to me than powerstation etc.
Old 07 January 2007, 05:58 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Might be worth a try, but the offer of a blast in a spec c is however very tempting, but being as im only 18, you may change your mind when im there haha

Any details of the prosport company? I will give them a call, as they are more local to me than powerstation etc.

I was 18 once myself

Prosport 0161 432 9999

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2007, 05:59 PM
edmy716
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PCM
richard bulmer maps there, what were ur figures m8?
Old 07 January 2007, 06:08 PM
PCM
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately i didn't get it mapped by him, I only got 350/360 which i am disappointed with. Had it mapped at scoobyclinic because i was in a rush and Mr Bulmer wasn't down for another 2 weeks