ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying Classic Shape Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 06:43 PM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Classic Shape Scooby

Hi, am looking for a Calssic Shape, UK Turbo 2000, not an Sti. Have seen a few on PistonHeads, and Autotrader.

Are there any things to look out for, apart from the obvious things when buying a car, ie anything car specific that you only get to know once owning one?

Have seen a 2000 / W reg 50,000 miles for just under £6000. Is that a realistic price?

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 10 January 2007, 06:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a fair price .... but so much depends upon condition.

It's good to see that you are looking for a UK car - very wise move!

Avoid many Owners, at 7 year old you don't want to see more than 2 or 3 .. 1 is a bonus!

Full Service History - Main Dealer for 5 years, independant after that is ok.

Get a folder of documents with it and it will give you a warm feeling.

Avoid everything which has been modified (a big exhaust is ok) - everything else is NOT!

If it has gauges and lights and other crap on the dash RUN AWAY FAST!!!

Go for a Wagon - these are the secret bargain performance icon.

Ignore all cars owned by 20 somethings ... you know, and I know, they have been thrashed to within an inch of their lives!

Get one from a mature owner driver and you cannot fail!

Good luck!
Old 10 January 2007, 06:57 PM
Sean 2000
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Prices seem to vary at the moment, but yes, depending on condition etc 6k sounds about right-maybe a little low. Its hard to tell without seeing the car in the flesh. It cant hurt to have a look, could bag yaself a bargain?
Old 10 January 2007, 07:17 PM
Turbo Teddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Ignore all cars owned by 20 somethings ... you know, and I know, they have been thrashed to within an inch of their lives!

Good luck!
Not all cars owned by people in their 20's will have been thrashed. I'm 24 and it took me quite a while to save up for my car and the last thing i want to do is blow it up. My car gets an oil and filter change evey 3000 miles, always warmed up and down and is never ran on anything else but v-power (optimax before that). I don't think your giving young lads a fair deal.
Old 10 January 2007, 07:42 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

I bought a Classic as my first Impreza and it was the best car I've ever owned. I bought from a dealer a X reg Turbo 2000 UK spec car with 55K miles, one owner from new, full Subaru service history and in standard specification. The car now had 70L miles on it and think it's worth about 5.5K so 6K for a W reg may be slightly over priced but it's a good starting point to bring get the price reduced from.
Old 10 January 2007, 07:58 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Check for a service history and any evidence of accident damage.A recent cambelt change is good as its around £200-£300 at main dealer. They're no different to any other performance orientated car. £6k sounds right for a genuine UK car. Check brake pads and discs as they are expensive to replace. Set of decent tyres around £320. Take all these into account and budget and barter accordingly. Finally good luck and enjoy it when you find it. I loved my UK Turbo 2000 and it was 100% reliable. Cheers Bob
Old 10 January 2007, 08:19 PM
struv
Scooby Regular

i bought my uk wagon (my99 on a t plate) just over a year ago 3 previos owners 52k miles no history (it had been of the road for 18 months as the last owner pushed there credit to the max to buy it and when they bumped it and couldnt afford a headlamp, bumper,radiator and bonnet to put it back on the road) it sat in there garage until i heard about it by then they had misplaced all the paper work and the keys but they still had the spare allarm fob i got it for £3k a key from subaru cost £120 when i went to change the cambelt the tensioner and the idlers felt rough so i changed the lot a total of about £300 ish cant remember exactly but 12k miles later its still purring like a kitten sweet as a nut and in exellent condition(plus it had brand new 18 inch wheels and tyres fitted about a week before it was bumped) all in all i think i got a bargain
ps forgot the disks and pads were fecked i got oe replacements from euro car parts at £170 but there pants spend a bit more fore decent stuff
forgot to mention i repaired the accident damage myself (cost me £270 plus my labour)

Last edited by struv; 10 January 2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10 January 2007, 08:56 PM
Phil555
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought MY00 UK classic almost 2 years ago now. Had 63K on the clock with 5 previous owners, FSSH. I contacted the last 2 ownrs to see if they had any probs. Was lucky as the last owner lived 2 miles from me. Apart from he running costs and my mods the car has never let me down and is in mint condition. Only cost me the price of a battery so far (£30).

Phil.
Old 10 January 2007, 09:26 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Seems a fair price .... but so much depends upon condition.

It's good to see that you are looking for a UK car - very wise move!

Avoid many Owners, at 7 year old you don't want to see more than 2 or 3 .. 1 is a bonus!

Full Service History - Main Dealer for 5 years, independant after that is ok.

Get a folder of documents with it and it will give you a warm feeling.

Avoid everything which has been modified (a big exhaust is ok) - everything else is NOT!

If it has gauges and lights and other crap on the dash RUN AWAY FAST!!!

Go for a Wagon - these are the secret bargain performance icon.

Good luck!
good evening pete .not all mature drivers plod along!i love nothing more than to thrash mine,so dont buy a car off me because its been used for what its built for i see your still ranting on about uk verses jdm,which ever he buys hes still getting one hell of a car
Old 11 January 2007, 09:23 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maccers
Have seen a 2000 / W reg 50,000 miles for just under £6000. Is that a realistic price?
For the age it is still under average mileage.

I own a MY00 with 37k - If I sold it today I'd want £7000 for it.
Mine is completely standard apart from a quick shift.

So £6k isn't too bad a price.

Last edited by michaelro; 11 January 2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Missed a sentence...
Old 11 January 2007, 11:29 AM
aggs
Scooby Regular

If you can wait a month I am selling my X reg Classic.
Silver 58000 miles Prodrive Ecu and Scoobysport Exhaust.
Never uses a drop of oil,which is changed every 3000 miles.
Warmed up cooled down like clockwork.
Cam belt done recently FSH
Prodrive rear spoiler, same as RB5.

Send Email and I can send pics if interested.

2 prev. owners and I knew them.
1 of them never took car out in the rain??

Last edited by aggs; 11 January 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11 January 2007, 12:29 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

In response to your question
FSH as per normal with any car, but regular oil changes are important, because oil does get hot in a turbo 2L engine, so fresh oil keeps engine nice and sweet.
Good oil not to be under estimated, an owner with less money could skimp on good oil.

Air Filters, beware of some brands or aftermarket air induction systems paarticularly on MY2000 Classics some are too oily or cone type need setting up properly.

Some cars have been de catted i.e. the exhaust has no cat. converter, this could be a pain when next MOT taken due to emmissions.
Generally 1 Cat is enough to pass current mot emissions.causes no problems with reliability etc. Some brands of exhaust make the car louder than others,I tend to think the louder the car the younger the driver, but could be wrong!!

If your seller does not waarm car through before revving over 3000 then I would stay clear of car, needs a warm through before revving to high,check this when he takes you on test run,again keeps engine sweet for high miles.

£6000 seems the right price for a good car.

A good car will do 150,000 mile plus so do not be shy of higher mileages if the car been looked after.