ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Cats

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2001, 05:36 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Any idea how to discourage local cats walking all over my car? Little paw prints in the morning driving me mad. And yes I like cats so the large gun suggestion I can hear coming isn't going to help.

LoFi
Old 03 December 2001, 05:38 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wink

They must love you very much and are actually protecting it from Rats and Mice...
Old 03 December 2001, 05:42 PM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

An idea,

Get a few small bottle (plastic) Put some water in them, and put a hole in the tops, place them on your bonnet and on the top of your car, for some reason some cats are scared when they see these, just a thought..
Old 03 December 2001, 05:46 PM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem - little muddy buggers sitting on the scoop at night - its the heat that attracts them.

The solution, belive it or not, is to get a 1.5 litre coke bottle, peel the label off and place it on you bonnet at night half full of water. Apparanlty the reflections really confuse 'em. You might just have to put up with other people knocking it off though. Got the idea from my mum, she has for years had cats krapping in her flowerbeds and this has done the trick.

I've got a car port and hang it from a string above the car. Sounds crazy but it works and no jokes about my name please.....

Rog

Old 03 December 2001, 05:52 PM
fazack
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem with them crapping on my lawn. I was told that I could get some pellets from the local B&Q but they didn't have any for shotguns.

Anyway, try catering size bags of chilli powder - Tesco's do one of about 1.5KG. Sprinkle it around the area where you park the car every couple of weeks.
Old 03 December 2001, 05:58 PM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

Exactly what i said Roger, we put them on our shed, it worked at first but they just ignore it now
Old 03 December 2001, 06:09 PM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

Cino - I guess we were typing at the same time...try to change the shape of the bottle or move it to a different place.

Old 03 December 2001, 06:32 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks - I'll give that a try in an attempt to stop them skydiving off the rear spoiler after using the bonnet scoop as a starting block for their run up.

LoFi
Old 03 December 2001, 06:35 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

You can borrow either of my 2 dogs if you care to.

JIM
Old 03 December 2001, 06:38 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watered down washing-up liquid works well (they dont like the smell) this works for the old bin bag problem also.

Plus points - your bonnet is always clean and soapy water on the windscreen also helps on those frosty mornings

S.

Old 03 December 2001, 06:44 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Wire the car to a lamp-post that will stop them in their tracks....

Dont forget to disconnect wire when you get in car though....
Old 03 December 2001, 06:47 PM
humbug
Scooby Regular

Angry

I could cheerfully kick a cat into next week - cold, aloof disloyal wretches, and they crap all over my garden.They also tend to be liked by a particularly insipid sort of woman.

The best solutions are: dogs, high powered air rifles, mixing finely chopped wine corks with tuna fish, or running over with said scooby.

Unfortunately the ridiculous law in the UK could send you to prison for some of the above so they are hypothetical solutions ;-)

If you mug an old lady you'd be ok though.
Old 03 December 2001, 06:49 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have the dual zone proximity sensor on my car, when the cat goes near the car the siren gives a chirp and off they go. Gets them everytime.
Old 03 December 2001, 07:27 PM
*Cino*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You all seem to be very cruel towards cats...
Old 03 December 2001, 10:25 PM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

Cats do encourage a certain cruel streak in men - they are often picked on by conduct-disordered teenagers for torture. You know-the old washing machine and microwave routines, or putting it in sack and playing soccer with it, that kind of thing. The sack is handy for the thugs as they can readily drown it and dispose of it in the river afrterwards.

It's appalling what butchery mankind is capable of.
Old 04 December 2001, 12:03 AM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

This really p*sses me off!. AND the cat that loves my bonnet leaves little scratches on it aswell! (They do polish out though). Little f*cker gets on the bonnet before I've even got out of the car, and looks me straight in the eye.

Our eyes Lock,...

...Tumbleweeds blow by in the backgroud...

I make a break for it...

but Noooooo.... I have to scare him away very carefully incase he tries to dig in with his claws to spring away. I'm sure he knows it. Little black and white B*stard.

Cats,... Not as stupid as we may think. I'm affraid I'm a sukker for them though, but only the nice ones, Not the bossy **** types.

Paul.
Old 04 December 2001, 08:38 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Why don't you find the owner of the cat and threaten to park your Saint Bernard on the roof of his car unless he brings his creature under control.
If he claims he can't be held responsible for his cat's actions, retort by claiming you can't be responsible for it's accidental death under if it slips under the wheels of your car.

2 other alternatives:

1) Buy a greyhound; they are renown for catching cats (their heritage being obvous). Not so good if you happen to like squirrels and encourage them into your garden as the greyhound will most likely have those as well.

2) Win the cats favour with a small treat, gently restrain it (some sort of noose would probably do the job), place the cat in a cardboard box in the boot of your car and then go for one of those long drives into the country that we scooby drivers all enjoy.
At the furthest point release ***** back into the wild.

Neil. (Not a cat lover)
Old 04 December 2001, 09:17 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Humbug,
I assume you're joking...? If you are, then ignore the rest of this and accept my apologies.

If not, I think you're an ignorant ****. There's nothing ridiculous about laws that protect animals from people like you.

Andrew

Old 04 December 2001, 09:39 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

What about a nice heavy duty car cover?

If not, I would go for hooking the car up to the mains, this would work up until the point the cat ralised that the scoop is plastic and will not shock him..... I would guess you will find the little bugger sitting there grinning at you in the morning!

If you clout it one, it will learn its lesson very quickly.... sounds cruel, but if you scare the little ****bag badley he/she will not return....

Paul
Old 04 December 2001, 09:52 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nice one Neil!!

At my home in Rayleigh the local cats used to use my front lawn as a toilet....I tried everything..chilli, Euculyptus(sp) that green stuff that costs a bomb from B & Q all useless.
However I purchased some of those electronic things...work a treat...I went for total over-kill and bought three..........no more cats......and if you manualy turn it on full power it even stops the barking dog over the road!.

Grrrr bl00dy cats!! ...here in Tokyo the only cats you see are on leads !!!

Old 04 December 2001, 10:01 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Letdown.
Where do I get these electronic things from?
Tokyo obviously has the right idea; if you want to own a pet, you should be made to keep it under control, else it takes it's chances like the rest of the vermin (if you had a mouse or rat problem you'd just poison it wouldn't you?)

Old 04 December 2001, 10:07 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

I got mine from one of those little magazines you get with the Sunday papers......Inovations or something like that.........they have a www but I cant be bothered to look it up for you.

They work a treat ! .......or cocktail sticks in the lawn !!!

Old 04 December 2001, 12:24 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

My dogs love cats but the cats are some what scared of the dogs.

JIM

Old 04 December 2001, 12:34 PM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

What a magnificent beast! The dog's quite good too.
Old 04 December 2001, 01:43 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Talking

er...get a dog!
Old 04 December 2001, 01:52 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

Red face

sorry - didn't read the other posts first
Old 04 December 2001, 01:56 PM
Scooby Doo Sue
Scooby Regular

on a serious note... if it's at all possible to trigger the alarm while said cat has comfortably positioned itself for the duration, doing this a couple of time will certainly be a deterent it worked with mine - cat and car - that is
Sue
Nice DOG - now that's what I call a dog... big b*st*rd ain't he?
Old 04 December 2001, 02:05 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Another thing to blame on cats:

The massive decline in song birds in the UK in the last 15 years. The rise in cat population is to blame apparently.
Old 04 December 2001, 02:45 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

How about a nice big powerful hose. Run it through the house and wait for said cat, when it arrives give a blast at full power. Watch the cat fly sideways with the power of the blast.

Don't let it get on the car or it will rip the paint to shreds trying to get of the car.

P.
Old 04 December 2001, 03:12 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Bearing in mind washing up liquid was posted on the first page, don't use it on your car Being a detergent it will strip off the wax/polish on the car..............

Bloody cats though - have the same problem - next door has 3 My mum ordered one of those electronic things but it never turned up Would have been good by the sound of it.

We've got them out of the back garden now. My mums border collie doesn't really like cats and now and then comes round, boy did the cats in the garden get a suprise when this black and white thing comes out of the back door at a rate of knots at them - been close on quite a few occasions Seems they don't risk the back garden as much anymore.........

Quick Reply: Cats