Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

All this talk of speed limits........

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2001, 10:47 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.......and then there is Italy. I've been here now for over 18 months and have driven over 20000 miles:

1 - they never bother with you on freeways unless you are doing over 180-190 kph, and even then only if they are bored!

2 - the freeway speed limits are being raised next year to 160 kph!

3 - I've seen 2 speed measuring devices in 20000 miles, both in urban areas!

4 - on any country road, particoularly twisty stuff in the mountains etc, you have more chance of seeing ...anything really....than a police car on road patrol!

5 - the police will actually make way for you and wave you through with a smile if driving a visible performance car (rally car \ ferrari \ porsche \ etc.)!

6 - if they pull up along side you, it's probably just to have a look at the car and make appreciative comments!

7 - there are no points, so in the unlikely event of being pulled for speeding, you just get a fine and off you go!

8 - to lose your license you would have to be doing 50 kph+ above the speed limit, drive by a very bored cop, in a **** car that he doesn't admire, and he'd have to hold one of the few laser guns in use!

9 - they have mad track days with hundreds of cars attending!

10 - everyone is racing everyone and 90% of the population thinks it's Michael S., including elderly people, young girls, farmers, nuns (yes, nuns, I've seen them flat-out at 150kph in a Fiat Punto)!

Old 04 December 2001, 11:09 AM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Wink

I blame it on the Lira they've just got used to seeing big numbers! It'll all stop when they get the Euro...
Old 04 December 2001, 11:32 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Damn, I'm moving!
I hate pasta, but I can live with it for those benefits!
astraboy.
Old 04 December 2001, 11:48 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

One of the most entertaining passenger rides I've ever had was in a taxi from Rome to the airport. It was a diesel Merc, with all the usual regalia inside (religious bits and bats, fluffy seat covers etc!).

For starters, in the city the driver could get the big old merc through gaps that I wouldn't attempt on a scooter. Then when we were out on the freeway, marked as three lanes, he created a nice fourth lane just for us, so there were four cars abreast! This sort of thing is commonplace. We were only following the lead of the police car in front who'd just done exactly the same thing. I think we were doing around 110mph at the time too!

Whip