Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Calling all new model owners- sensible replys please!

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2001, 02:57 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be signing an order for a scoob buy the end of the month

Was thinking of Sti6 but my partner (work) insists on a warranty. i suppose i cant blame him soooooo its a new bog eyed or nothing.

current owners, please give me some feed back as to whether the car is as good/or bad as expected? any teething problems etc etc...

Thanks S.
Old 04 December 2001, 03:01 PM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a UK300, done 11K miles since end of July.

Problems: None. None whatsoever.

Plus Points: High grin factor, fun to drive, hey I love it!
Old 04 December 2001, 03:06 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

We've just bought an MY01 WRX having had a MY96 and an MY00 and love it to bits I really can't understand where this notion that they're slow comes from It's still a bloody quick car! The handling is fantastic and even better than the MY00. The build quality is better, the interior space is bigger, gawd I even like the look of the thing now Actually we've had the Morrettes done and a few other mods - 18" Prodrive wheels etc

I'm chuffed to bits with it

Sal
Old 04 December 2001, 03:15 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Agree with Sal, great car done 15K miles in mine. Be warned if you are on Scoobynet be prepared to be drawn into the mod. addiction. Previous cars, never bought much beyond a sponge. Scooby, about £3K so far and still a big list of wants. It's not that the car's crap its that I love it so much I want to spend all my money on it - and then some I haven't!
Old 04 December 2001, 03:18 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a MY'01 too, I've owned a MY'00 UK Turbo and P1, and the new shape is definitely the best yet.

better handling, the car can carry more speed through the corners.
Slightly better breaks as standard (STi 7 even better, as they have brembos) as it has twin pots at the rear...

And with some mods, it can look just as mean!

Old 04 December 2001, 03:28 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

It's as good as expected, but then I took it for a test drive so knew what to expect . A bump-steer modded STI6 would be more fun IMHO, but the MY01 is comfortable, handles and goes reasonably well...you can always slap on a PPP if you need more go and absolutely need to comply 100pct with the warranty terms...otherwise tuning potential is great.
Have you totally ruled out a UK STI? If I didn't have an old STI as well I may have been tempted...certainly with the amount I've spent modding the MY01 the cost difference is negligible
Ta
Chuck
Old 04 December 2001, 04:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

As a previous MY00 owner, no comparison - you can't stand in the way of progress.......

Old 04 December 2001, 04:29 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chuck
Re mods - tell me about it, been there, now can't afford the T shirt

But what would the STI7 cost after you had bought it and then changed the exhaust, wheels, lights etc.....
Old 04 December 2001, 04:47 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have an 01 Wagon. Completely standard except Scoobysport exhaust and mstation sounds.

Love it to bits, the wagon looks so wacky I'm gonna keep the bug eyes for extra effect!!!

No problems so far, except some corrosion on the brake discs(The car was a demo, and i wonder if the garage attempted to clean wheels with some acid:0 ). Hope to get it sorted under warranty, but great excuse for a set of AP brakes!!
Old 04 December 2001, 05:07 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

had my01 for 3 months 4.5k miles.

drinks fuel at a crazy rate,high insurance,wifey hates it,lights up the road ahead worse than a hand held torch,but then again its sexier than kylie mynogue(morettes 18's bla bla bla),gets loadsa stares,goes like a rocket and sounds quite mental at high revs

dont think i could beat it for the price,but then again if i could i would have bought another car.

go for it

mike

Old 04 December 2001, 06:06 PM
steve jackson
Scooby Regular

Talking

What more can be said, I agree with everything above,well happy
Steve
Old 04 December 2001, 06:22 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Dave TS , have you had any performance mods done i.e. PPP ? If so how would you compare to standard.
Slippy
Old 04 December 2001, 06:32 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Traded up to UK300 2 months ago - haven't looked back since (except to get the PPP fitted - they've run out in Banbury apparently !!!) - Much better than the old one (and I never thought I say that).
Old 04 December 2001, 06:40 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Had my new WRX wagon for a month now, totally standard UK. Magic.
2500 miles and rising. My first Scoob: only ever had VWs or Audis.

Sold previous car (Audi S3) because I needed more space for equipment used @ work... and couldn't afford an S4 Avant (or RS4 for that matter )

Verdict: Brilliant. Grip is superior to the S3 in real world driving, especially in the wet... Where I live, nothing but rain & empty twisty roads. Runs better on Super, similar MPG to the S3.
Only downfall: interior does feel cheap compared to Audi.
Then again, not a single squeak or rattle, so it's well made.
Old 04 December 2001, 08:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

Slippy Diff

Full ScoobySport system including up-pipe, which gives around 250bhp.

My setup probably equal to PPP. RB5Scott's car with full SS PLUS PPP gave 288bhp but I want over 300......this is in hand
Old 04 December 2001, 08:46 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

MY01 Wagon had it since April , 7500 miles and it's brilliant.
Totally standard, currently torn between PPP and whining at IM to bring in the Sti in 5 door ( their own dealers are telling them that they'd sell - so why the hell not ... ).

Have to have wagon due to lugging fishing/camping gear about. Rather not get Jap import, so may be 'forced' to start modding :-)

SteveM
Old 04 December 2001, 09:05 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

eyemajic, i see the rest and be thankful has been closed due to landslides?

I used to live in lochgilphead and inverrary (well furnace to be precise) so i know what the weathers like up there.

Are you one of the mad local drivers?
Last time i went up there (took the wife to Scotland as she'd never been) they seem to overtake even if there doing .1 mph quicker!
It was like super tankers passing each other in the hire car, round bends and everything!

Is argyll blighted with speed cameras just like the south west of Scotland, or has it evaded this curse?

[Edited by ptholt - 12/4/2001 9:08:57 PM]
Old 04 December 2001, 10:22 PM
Slippy Diff
Scooby Regular

Dave TS , How loud is the full SS system ? I used to run just a SS backbox on my '98 and that was fairly fruity ! How much was the full system approx? I agree , you can't argue with progress. I f you can achieve 250bhp with a SS system it must be cheaper power than the PPP. I f my car ends up looking as good as yours I will be chuffed.
Slippy
Old 04 December 2001, 10:47 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

ptholt,

hehehe.... mad local driver... yes, I think so

I know Furnace! I work in Lochgilphead 1 day a week.
2nd time this year the "rest" has been closed for over 24 hours...

Haven't seen any static cameras here, though plenty warning signs. I think because Argyll is under Strathclyde polis, they can make far more money by putting up new ones in Glasgow. A few mobile units in the summer (usually in unmarked beat up old vans... nasty!!)
I'm clean so far ! Scouring the area for the first sign of SPECS... rumour has it they're planning to stick it on one of the big straights near the "rest"
Old 04 December 2001, 11:17 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pretty much agree with all that has been said.

Had a MY99, now have a MY01 and love it. Be aware though that they are very tight till 5k, then they really start to loosen up, by 7k mine was a totally different car to when I bought it.

I was planning to PPP it but after test driving one with PPP I was a bit disappointed (had a PPP on my MY99 and it was night and day difference). Instead I opted for ScoobySport downpipe and centre section (already had Prodrive backbox) - not with up-pipe like Dave T-S. I reckon it is at least as good as the PPP car I drove if not better (and yes it had the same mileage as my car). I'm sure the low down torque is better, much more what I was looking for. At a third of the cost I am very happy with it although it is quite loud, my g/f noticed the difference straight away from the comfort of her own home!

The only problem I have had is the check engine light coming on and going off - see http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=57318, not really anything to worry about I think.

Cheers

Simon
Old 05 December 2001, 08:00 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

Slippy
Thanks for the kind words.

The MY01 ScoobySport system seems to be quieter than the <MY00. Having said that, mine seems to be one of the louder ones judging by comments at Donington....

I suspect it appears to be quieter than my old MY00 in the car because soundproofing is better.

How loud - well, that's a how long is a piece of string question because everyone's perception is different. I personally don't think it's loud, but then I like loud exhausts. Carolyn thinks hers is too quiet too....

simes
It is well worth getting the ScoobySport up pipe done. This is very restrictive as standard, definitely goes and sounds better, and has the advantage that if the cat does ever start to break up on a standard car, it will take the turbo impeller with it - or am I just making excuses to do it
Old 05 December 2001, 08:39 AM
M Hutton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've had mine since March and put on 16.5k (and rising rapidly) since then.

Love it to bits and it is interesting some of the orginal skeptics are now loiking the new shape. Something about getting used to it I guess.

I would echo the fact that the engine takes a while (or not in my case) to loosen up. When it does the big grins start all over again.

I also changed the lights and added PPP, something I was pleased with. It was the first time I noticed being pulled back in fifth gear but I guess that might have been due to the fact I had been taken it easier up until then.

Watch out for being sucked into the mod obsession, I want so much but I am doing things slowly (mostly due to case). Saying that the new springs are next followed closely by a strut brace, then 18s, then...
Old 05 December 2001, 08:41 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have to say that I am very impressed with the new car - it really is improved in all departments. Can't really add anymore to Sal's comments earlier. A few mods to come - new spoiler, Eibachs and HID option for the Morrettes, but other than that (and maybe a SS exhaust systems ), not much wrong.

Dave's new car has a lovely sound, without being as 'full on' as his old MY00 with full SS system - that was very loud - I should know - it is now fitted to Sal's Scoob If I remember rightly Dave's was also spitting the old flame out the back at Dono too

Chris
Old 05 December 2001, 08:46 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chris

Thanks mate - I forgot the biggest advantage of the decat up-pipe is flames
Old 05 December 2001, 10:34 AM
eliot
Scooby Regular

Love every second of mine - huge grin factor - minor mods essential though (lights, exhaust etc.)
Old 05 December 2001, 06:05 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

hey i did'nt really expect such a good responce - Cheers!

sorry my reply is tad late (have been away from the pc for a while)

What can i say? (except OH YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! ) can't wait.

Thanks again

S.

Old 05 December 2001, 07:43 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave,

I'd decided to keep the up-pipe for emissions reasons, but if you put it like that maybe it should go

Cheers

Simon
Old 05 December 2001, 08:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

simes
LOL
Old 05 December 2001, 08:37 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi ,
I bought mine in May , its now got 13000 on the clock and is nicely loosening up, ye it does like a drink but i've never had as
many stares for a long time,brill.... Get it, enjoy it and be careful you dont get sucked into the mods game . Saying that it gets addictive.

Enjoy , Sandman
Old 05 December 2001, 11:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Very much preffered my Scoobysport exhausted STi V with bump steer mod having driven the new one for an hour.

Still an excellent car, and hard to remember if mine had so much lag before I downpiped it (yes it is now accepted as a verb!)

Dave TS knew whet he was doing with that pic - IT LOOK GREAT! Shock!

D

Quick Reply: Calling all new model owners- sensible replys please!